Honda eu2000i - fuel in crankcase

My Honda eu2000i (circa 2002) is dumping gas into the crankcase.

Months ago I noticed gas dripping out the bottom of the generator when running. I plugged up the tube coming from the carburetor, and that stopped it. But, when I went to check the oil, it was diluted with gas.

I took it to a local Honda shop, who said it wasn't a good idea to block that tube (obviously) and I gave them $80 and they fixed it...or so they said. I took it camping, ran fine, but then yesterday I again saw gasoline in the crankcase. Lots of it.

I called the shop back, and the guy actually said it would run like that. Seriously??

I can't get it back to the shop (not that I really want to take it back there), so,is there anything I can do short of a complete rebuild of the carburetor? That's a bit out of my league as far as engine skills.

The float is likely sticking, or the needle has contamination or damage. So fuel is overfilling the float bowl and ascending various passageways into the carburetor venturi, then on into the engine. That is my first guess.

Take the float bowl off, and see if when you push the float up, the fuel should stop dripping. If it does not stop, check for debris above the needle, and/or replace the float needle.

Do you store it for long periods of time between use?

Run some"Seafoam" fuel stabilizer to clean out all of the small passages and jets in the carburetor. This is a known problem with these Hondas especially if you have to use fuel with Ethanol added. Give it a try...

I'm not sure what the float bowl is. Is it that part that has the screw thingy on the bottom that I loosen to drain the carburetor for storing?

My gens are not stored ( for long) with fuel in them. After a week or so after camping, I siphon the tank and drain the carb and then add Sta-bil. I've heard good things about Sea-foam. Perhaps it's time to get some... and a new mechanic.

By the way, this mechanic said to turn the ignition switch all the way off as it's also a fuel valve. Can't find that in the owner's manual, and I've never been diligent about doing that. True?

It doesn't take long for the fuel in the little float bowl to turn to varnish, and stick the float needle open. Odd the shop did not look into that, as when I was in the business, it was one of the most common issues.

Yes the float bowl is where you have been draining the fuel. Go on youtube, there are videos of how to remove the carb, so it is easier to work. It's very easy. If you see or smell varnish after removing the bowl, you have found the problem. It's an 8mm or 10mm wrench to remove the float bowl fastener, it's near the drain screw.

Thanks much. Knowing what I know about gas engines, I find it difficult to understand how fuel can get in the crankcase. The only way fuel is delivered to the engine is to the manifold/cylinder from above during the intake stroke.. right? So how does fuel find its way to the crankcase?

yes it's a lil bolt under the float bowl after you pull it off gently lift your float bowl up and notice the pin it pivots on...Pull that pin while holding the float and gently lower the float straight down and the needle will be attached to it so don't drop it. a can of compressed air up into the seat or the hole that the needle came out of should blow out any garbage that kept it from sealing off. Yes the shut off switch also shuts off the fuel. There is a very good utube movie for working on these carbs that is excellent. DO NOT REMOVE the electrical parts on top there are springs in there that grow wings !

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Thanks much. Knowing what I know about gas engines, I find it difficult to understand how fuel can get in the crankcase. The only way fuel is delivered to the engine is to the manifold/cylinder from above during the intake stroke.. right? So how does fuel find its way to the crankcase?

It leaks past the piston if the gas can keep running past the needle and seat...HONDAS are noted for this we always shut the fuel off when hauling one because the bouncing of the float will let gas go by into the piston and then past the rings thus filling up the crankcase.

Jim Spence

It leaks past the piston if the gas can keep running past the needle and seat...HONDAS are noted for this we always shut the fuel off when hauling one because the bouncing of the float will let gas go by into the piston and then past the rings thus filling up the crankcase.

And you shut the fuel off using the ignition switch? I don't know of any other fuel shutoff on mine.

Yes its a combanation fuel shut off and ignition shut off If you open the drain hose for the carburetor there should be no fuel coming out with it off except for whats in the carburetor but turn the switch on and you can actually drain your whole tank when you want to.

Jim Spence

Do you store it for long periods of time between users?

Run some"Seafoam" fuel stabilizer to clean out all of the small passages and jets in the carburetor. This is a known problem with these Hondas especially if you have to use fuel with Ethanol added. Give it a try...

after I had to rebuild the carb. a couple of years ago I make it a point to drain the carb bowl whenever it is sitting for a while. I also only use marine (no alcohol) fuel now and have had no recent problems. besides marine fuel I also have about 20 gal. of aircraft fuel from the local airport, also no alcohol but is 100+ octane. it was easy to get, good people there, but little pricey.

I do use normal additive, Sta-Bil and now also Seafoam, runs well.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Archived