My "crappy" headlight woes on the Volvo are over!

OldFlySwatter

The other day I was trying hard to think of something to get my lovely bride for our 40th anniversary coming up next month, when as luck would have it someone on here brought it to my attention that Deep Space Lighting was having an Independence Day sale. Something in the romantic side of my brain "clicked", and I said that's it.... I'll get her a new set of HID headlights for the Volvo that I'm pretty sure she's been wanting. Seemed like a brilliant idea to me. So I ordered her a set for my (I mean our) 99 model 610.

The lights came in today and I couldn't stand it, I got so excited that I went in and woke her up from her nap and gave them to her. I couldn't wait till next month. Well let me tell you, at first she was madder than a mashed cat about loosing the nap, but after she calmed down for bout an hour.... she was plum touched and impressed that I had even remembered we had an anniversary coming up, and even more touched that I had bought her a present. Made some snarky comment bout my past track record in this department. She wanted me to come give her a "hug", but I grabbed the lights and ran out the door and down to the shop to put them in. O.K., maybe I didn't really run, but it was a real fast "Waddle". Remember, this is my story and I can tell it like I want to.

Now, let's be clear... I have no ties to Deep Space Lighting and have never met David Dixon, although someday I hope to meet that gentleman and tell him just what he did for my marriage. My version of course. But when someone, anyone makes a product or devise for our old trucks that makes this much of an improvement in safety... well, I've just got to fly up on a fence post and "CROW" about it a little.

As Robin would say "Holy bright lights Batman", or maybe as Gomer Pyle would say "Shuurrzaam", these lights sure do make a world of difference. After I got them adjusted per instructions, I loaded the DW up and took her for a long romantic drive on some dark country roads to really test them out. As we neared home we met about 10 vehicles and all seemed satisfied with my lights on "Dim". I could see wonderfully and they didn't seem to bother other drivers. Where can you beat it?

I had others brag about how much these lights helped the Gen II's, but I haven't heard anything from anyone that has tried the kit for the Gen I's. Based on my first drive on a dark night, on curvy back roads... I highly recommend them for anniversaries, birthdays, Christmas, or any other of them romantic gift giving moments. That's just how I roll!

Ed

How timely. I too ordered a set of Mr. Dixon's lights during the sale, and like you, will present them to my child bride for our anniversary (41 years next weekend).

Last year, I had the most white knuckle drive of my life because of the poor light emitting from the 15 y/o yellowed housings. No more. Deep Space Lighting to the rescue.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

WOW, What an idea! Our anniversary is coming up as well! Now I know what to get her!

Actually, since mid-April we have done absolutely no driving at night until this past Friday night. I had forgotten about how crappy the stock light were and made the comment that we need to do the upgrade before this fall when the days get shorter and you know that your gonna get caught in the dark.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

As of right now, we're 8 days shy of the 41 year mark. I've had to make some sacrifices to keep her around, like the year she bought me a motorcycle, and I bought her a cordless drill. Or the year she got me a stereo for one of the tractors and I got her a stepladder.

On the flip side, I've caught her off guard a couple of times. I've bought her motorcycles twice, and two years ago, for her birthday got her a corvette. Granted, it was used, but only had 2k miles.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Over the years of marriage my wife has received many gifts from me because I love her sooo much. Things like oak flooring, cattle panels, "T" posts, barb wire. I think what she liked the most, was a pond mill so she didn't have to chop ice for the cattle. I never thought about the light upgrade before I purchased it. I must be getting soft, or senile! The gifts worked OK, but after almost 53 years, I have learned a lesson or TWO. The light kit is great, even though it was a gift from/to me.

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Well I swear... I see I'm not the only one that's got this gift giving "thang" worked out. You ol'boys have give me some ideas for future occasions.

For all you out there that's wanting to switch over from giving all them high dollar bobbles and trinkets that shine and glitter, and for practical purposes are pretty much useless... you've got to be able and ready to "man up" and show them how much you care for them.

Lesson one... before presenting the gift you've got to have your "story" ready. And granted, sometimes even I have to lay awake a few nights trying to come up with one that will show my "deep undying affection" when I present the gift. Like last year for Christmas when I gave her the cutest little Stihl chainsaw you ever seen. Now here's where you've got to be ready with your story... you can't studder and stammer, and clear your throat a lot when she says "A *&^%$* chaaainsawwwww!!!, what do I need with a chainsaw?" If you ain't ready to immediately show how hurt and dismayed you are that she isn't readily able to see just how bad she's been needing, and secretly longing for one...she might get suspicious and think you're trying to pull something.

This is where you instantly make eye contact and say something like.... "Honey! (short pause for emphasis) Darling! (another short pause) Think about it. If you woke up in the morning and decided you wanted to go cut a tree down.... you couldn't do it. You know that my big chainsaw is too big for you to handle, and what if some of the ladies in your garden club started bragging bout all the trees they had cut down, there you would be all embarrassed cause you don't have a chainsaw to call your very own. Sweetie, I love you way too much to ever let that happen" Then while she's temporarily locked up studying bout what you just said, I usually raise my voice a smidge and throw out one of them "Life's too long to for my woman to ever live like that... no sir, we ain't going to live like that round here. Not my woman."

When she gives you that pitiful look, and says "Awwww Darling, I'm sorry... I wasn't thinking... I should've known you were only thinking of me. I love you!" This is where you put both of your hands in your pockets, look down at the toes of your boots and pause again for emphasis, before saying softly "Well, alright then." Then you head on out to the shop and "whistle while you work."

I know.... I'm good. But let me warn you it takes lots of practice, be prepared to make some dumb mistakes. You may want to ask for some advise from some of the other "posters". Cause even I wouldn't try giving her a bundle of "T" posts... sheesh! I'll go ahead and tell ya'll what I've bought her for her next birthday, if you'll keep it a secret.... It's a brand new 3/4" drive torque wrench. It's beautiful. I'm working on my presentation almost nightly. I'm having a bit of trouble putting something together that flows... I've got to the part bout "Honey!... What if you woke up in the morning and wanted to tighten your "big nuts" up to specification...you couldn't do it could you"? This one may take awhile.

Ed

Okay, so now I need to clean the coffee out of my keyboard, and my nose. :blink:

A few years ago, I was at a loss as to what to get my bride for Christmas. Since I needed to go to the grocery anyway, I just did my shopping there. I got her a nice assortment of stackable RubberMaid containers, since her old containers were getting a bit tattered. This did not go over well, especially since it was a year when she'd gotten me something big ($).

So, fast forward to the next Christmas. While cleaning so the grandkids can come and trash the place, she knocked down her display of Hummel nativity and angels. Most of the nativity pieces broke. This set was gotten over many years, from folks who are gone but not forgotten. Our daughters have said that when we're gone, it's the only thing they'll fight over.

I got on eBay, found all the replacement pieces, plus another complete set, and bought 'em. Christmas morning, the first package I handed her was a RubberMaid container. The look on her face would strike fear in any man. But then she opened it,, and another, and........

Just remember fellas, women keep score. But when you do something nice, it's written in pencil, and when you screw up, it's written with a Sharpie. ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Archived