Choosing a new hot water heater

I have an 11 year old Suburban SW10DE 10 gallon hot water heater. Been used 10 years as a vacation trailer - 2-3 months a year, and one year full timing for us. I'm thinking it will probably give up the ghost in the next year or 2, and debating about buying one now (while we're in an easy to get mail area) vs waiting till it fails.

I'm wondering what others have experienced and would recommend as far as type of heater, and manufacturer, etc. I'm fairly handy, not a plumber or engineer, so would most likely install it at my convenience when plenty of free time, or possibly wait till it fails.

So what to look for, and what manufacturer would you suggest?

I (that is, a dealer) replaced my Suburban 10-gallon SW10DEM water heater with a 12-gallon Suburban SW12DEM.

If you have extra room, I suggest getting a larger Suburban -- the 12-gal is about 2 inches longer than a 10-gal and the 16-gal about 6.5 inches. Otherwise, the other dimensions are the same, plus you can reuse the old water heater cover from your 10-gal. Very handy as repainting to match your coach can get pricey.

I had a dealer do it because the "DEM" units are tied into my DP's cooling system, and I didn't want to mess with that.

Here are the Suburban water heater specs.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

One thing I consider when replacing a hot water heater, is that "sometimes" if you buy the same brand (Suburban or Atwood etc) there may be a better chance the plumbing and hook ups are situated similar which makes for an easier installation, but if they are years apart that may not be true at all. Even if an off brand unit were cheaper, Id buy one of the leading brand of heaters since if it breaks down parts are more likely to be available. Another consideration would be remote switch wiring and installation and if the old and new are similar????That could save a lot of time and work.

Have you looked at new 10 Gallon Suburbans just to see how similar located the inlet and outlets are and the gas supply and remote switch operation??

PS mine is dual fuel, Gas or Electric, I really like that feature

John T

While I happen to like Atwood water heaters better, I also believe that the difference is minor in that I don't like to fool with the anode and if replacing one I'd use the same brand because of the dimensions of the opening and the location of connections. I think that Zulu has given very good advice but I'd add that you probably should also make sure that it has both gas and 120V as heat sources. In my opinion, the differences between the Atwood and the Suburban are very minor and like John T, I'd stay with one of those two brands, even if there is another less expensive brand.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If the tank itself isn't leaking, then the burners/ elements are replaceable. I replace our Anode rod in out Suburban about every 9 months, but we seem to live in parks that have their own wells, or count hard water.

Currently we have a 12gl and with both the elec and gas turned on, we can take continuous showers like 15 minutes or so and never run out of hot water. Like others said above, if its possible to replace to a larger model then go for it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We had an Atwood hot water heater on our previous trailer and have a Suburban on our current trailer. Both were 10 gallon gas/electric and were functionally identical. With the Suburban I have to change the anode rod every year. It isn't really a big project, but all things considered I preferred the Atwood as it eliminates this task.

I agree with others in that I would choose a replacement that requires the least amount of modification to the existing plumbing, which would likely mean going with the same brand.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

While I happen to like Atwood water heaters better, I also believe that the difference is minor in that I don't like to fool with the anode and if replacing one I'd use the same brand because of the dimensions of the opening and the location of connections. I think that Zulu has given very good advice but I'd add that you probably should also make sure that it has both gas and 120V as heat sources. In my opinion, the differences between the Atwood and the Suburban are very minor and like John T, I'd stay with one of those two brands, even if there is another less expensive brand.

Are the Atwood and the Suburban HW heaters interchangeable??

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Yes, and no. There are some models that the opening is the same, or you may find one that you would need to enlarge the opening. The requirements for 12V, 120V, water, and propane are the same but connections might need to be modified. In general, the size & dimensions of the opening are the most important as other modifications are pretty easy. When an opening needs to be enlarged, the degree of difficulty is then dependent upon the construction of the RV and making it smaller could be difficult.

For theses reasons, even though the required connections are pretty much the same, most RV owners replace with the same make and often model of water heater.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Three months ago I had to replace our 12 gal Suburban due to a leaking tank. Did the switch myself and installed an exact replacement. Install was very easy. Purchased ours from Amazon for $418 and shipping was free and fast.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

I think that company now makes a tankless that fits into the same space as the tank type.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Search for jack Mayers review of his tankless water heater. They are worth the cost and they fit in a standard water heater space. They are working well these days.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Search for jack Mayers review of his tankless water heater. They are worth the cost and they fit in a standard water heater space. They are working well these days.

JC

http://www.truma.net/us/en/home/index.php is the company.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

"that company" = ??

A link would be helpful as well.

Oops! My bad; I got Suburban and Attwood mixed up while reading this thread, so I assumed(ya I know) "that" meant Suburban. Attwood tankless water heater fits into the existing installation space of "most" other brands.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

You never can tell how long they will last. We have a 15 1/2 year old Atwood. Do not know how it was used prior to us owning, but it has been used full-time for the past 4 1/2 years and is still going strong. You may not need one for 5 years..... or more.

Pat DeJong

My Suburban is 15yrs. old and still works fine. I've replaced the heating element, and the Anode rod. I also learned a little trick that will get almost all the mineral build up out. I've used a flushing nozzle which worked pretty well, but it didn't get it all out. I just get a short length of flexible tubing that will just fit into the tank opening. Then I duct tape it to a shop vac hose and shove it in to vacuum out the granola as I like to call it. I've also done it in my stix & bricks hot water heater. It always surprises me how much of that junk ends up in the vac.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

• 3 weeks later...

Archived