Nevada HDT registration

dzlnut

I have not found any way to register one as a MH, converting from a Class 8. They do allow registering as a Private Truck and then you pay tonnage based on the gross weight.

My research included scouring the Nevada Revised Statute and talking with a DMV Manager and a Weights and Measures Supervisor.

Not sure whether you might be able to do the conversion registration in another state and then bring it to NV for registration?

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Motorhome is not an option in Nevada unless the truck title has already been converted in another state.

Getting it registered as a private truck is simple, just tell them you want to register as a private truck and get your wallet out. Our cost this year was scheduled to be about $580 for 18,000 lbs declared weight.

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

Took us ELEVEN minutes and $361.50 to title and register the ole Freightshaker in Oregon............BUT here is that CATCH you have to PROVE you are a Oregon Resident...........( yes the DMV in Oregon requires you donate 85% of your brain to become a Oregon resident....)

It's funny, I preped the Shaker for a intense inspection at the OR DMV but the "inspector just checked the Vin# and ask me how long the truck .......uhummm........MOTORHOME was, I said " it's 27 feet, here I have a tape so we can show you"..........The "inspector" smiled and said "we have found that retired people are very truthful, so I will take your word for it", (I smiled and thought......I should have retired 40 years ago....).

I tried to show him the refer and oven and sink and biffy and our compact washer..........but.........he smiled and said " sir, I know you are telling the truth"..........What a let-down........

He then he said you desire to have a Motor home in Oregon is confirmed by your desire to pay the motor home fees...........

It's so refreshing to know...............It's just about the $$$$$$$

Drive on........(Less $361.50 for two-years.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Try South Dakota, all done over the phone, friendly. Register as a non commercial vehicle. It will show this on registration. I used www.yourbestaddress.com

It cost me 3% sales tax, no inspection, and didn't have to move there. Plus mail forwarding.... it is a deal. We live in Arizona, and this state is not friendly to big trucks at all. They make every truck over 26,000 register as commercial.

Bigtrailer

Try South Dakota, all done over the phone, friendly. Register as a non commercial vehicle. It will show this on registration. I used www.yourbestaddress.com

It cost me 3% sales tax, no inspection, and didn't have to move there. Plus mail forwarding.... it is a deal. We live in Arizona, and this state is not friendly to big trucks at all. They make every truck over 26,000 register as commercial.

Bigtrailer

One problem with that scenario is that in most states your drivers license needs to match the issue state of the registration IF the vehicle is registered to you. That is why so many people establish the corporations or trust.

If you kept it registered to you in SD and also obtained a SD Driver License, you could run into the residency issues in a whole bunch of other states.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

In SD to register as a motorhome requires a lot more physical changes like a permanently mounted black tank.

But in 9 years, we have never had a situation that being registered as a motorhome would have been better than as a private truck.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

In SD to register as a motorhome requires a lot more physical changes like a permanently mounted black tank.

But in 9 years, we have never had a situation that being registered as a motorhome would have been better than as a private truck.

SD -

South Dakota "Motor Home" registration has been beat to death many times here, beginnig with "Dave K", and more recently with another HDT owner.

Initially SD will/may accept the MH registration.......but eventually the "sorry" letter arrives.

In SD - "Private Truck" (non-commercial) is the only viable registration for an HDT.

Different Driver's License / registration state -vs- LLC.........

Besides consideriing it a revenue "dodge", many staes look at an LLC as being commercial.

Would much rather (try to?) convince an LEO why the truck and my DL are different, - than the obvios def of an "LLC", and the resultant grief a negative interpetation can/could entail.

Much easier -and WAY less expensive- to become a genuine MT resident than a MT LLC.

Bottom line - The good, bad, and/or ugly can vary from state to state.

Of course, how *you* choose to line up *your* ducks - is whatever rings *your* chimes.

Archived