Military Sites

BluesMan

I am new here, so please check my profile and go easy on me. Glad to join the site and hope to get to know ya'll soon. My first question is:

Since I am retired military, I can take advantage of staying on military bases and recreation sites for extended periods when I get my used Class A soon. Do any of you have experiance with this. Good or bad. Thanks a lot.

Not parking but great RV parks at bargain prices. Allstays has a free app for military RV sites. Gteat sites we saw are San Antonil TX, Gulfport MS, Montgomery AL, Jacksonville FL this year and Canyon Lake TX. Great stops for commisasary runs. Enjoy.

I am retired Navy.

Richard-Austin TX
2015 Entegra Coach Anthem 42RBQ
2013 Jeep Unlimited Sahara
Boykin Spaniels Aboard

Absolutely! Many military bases have FamCamps, usually much cheaper than commercial places. Check out crvmilitary (mobile app) for a map which shows locations. Also, smartrving.net (website).

Upon editing:

I didn't realize you meant PARKING. I'm not aware of bases that allow you to just park on base. I think the security forces will send you to the FamCamp.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

Welcome BluesMan,

As AFchap said www.militarycampgrounds.us has all of the military FamCamps and you can pick the ones your interested in and it will tell you rates and how long you can stay. You can read reviews, look for updated parks, etc....

Good Luck,

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

They're a lot like commercial campgrounds. Many have time limits, many do not take reservation. Some are more expensive than commercial camps with membership discounts (like Passport America). Some are not big rig friendly even if the mil campground site says they are (Jacksonville NAS was one).

In Albuquerque, you can't beat Kirtland AFB. In Alamogordo, I preferred staying off base instead of at Holloman. It all depends on what your needs are.

We use them but only if they are convenient to our travels. If we are staying in an area for more than a day or so and the price is right. We have rarely used them for an overnight stop. Not driving out of our way for that.

Many that are older and called a recreation area are not very easy for large rigs.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

The COE park where I camp most of the time has special site for military. Not sure if it is just active or all vets. I did hear a rumor this year that they have now opened the entire campgroung up with the same military rules rathyer than just one site. Not sure what the special rules are. Could be free camping or reduced you would have to call the COE to find out for sure

Archived