Rubber Roof Repair

I wonder if these trees are multiplying ? I had the very same thing happen !

RV stores sell kits for these small repairs. I forget the name of the stuff but I'm sure someone will tell you soon.

Welcome to the forum :)

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

What they said. Suprises me how these trees just swat at you when you go by. Maybe we need another law to fix this problem. It's what they do for everything else LOL

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Eternabond, I also carry a roll. Used it again this week. It is very sticky so be careful once it touches anything it's stuck.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

Amazon has quite a choice of EDPM roof repair kits. Since our roof material was made by Dicor, I prefer to keep it Dicor just in case I should need to have coverage of the 12 year warranty on material which they give, if it isn't violated. I do not know if Eternabond would cause any problems but the Dicor repair kit does not and I have used it several times when helping others. Never did need one for our EDPM roof and now we are back to aluminum so won't. I have also successfully used the kit from Camco with good success and my friend whose roof we repaired still has that RV and after 8 years the repair still looks good. Both of these kits came with instructions and were easy to use. What they had us do was to carefully trim off any loose membrane from the tear and then patch over the entire area.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

For a temporary fix....gorillla tape works very well. It sticks much better than duct tape.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

For a temporary fix....gorillla tape works very well. It sticks much better than duct tape.

I have never used Gorilla brand tape but my question is, will it come off when you need to remove it? I can tell you that if you get a high quality of duct tape, such as the 3M Scotch brand, it will come off and not leave any residue if not left in place too long and it will not come loose until you remove it.

That may be true for Gorilla, but it is important to realize that Gorilla is a brand name while duct tape is a type of tape that is made by many companies including both "Gorilla" and also "Duck."

• 1 month later...

In my experience duct tape is useful for many things, but DUCK brand tape is not worth buying. I tends to come loose if you look at it too long. Gorilla brand is quite strong and sticks very well. I'm not sure that I would use either duct tape or gorilla for fixing a rubber roof problem. I have several places where the rubber is coming loose in spots anywhere from an inch to four inches long. I think that I'll use dicor. I guess that I'll need to cut the rubber material, insert whatever kind of glue or tape that comes with the repair kit and then press the rubber roof material down tight against the roof. I hate the idea of cutting the roof material to fix a bubble that does not have an tear, but oh well.

Get a roll or Etrnabond tape and carry it with you for emergency repairs. Not the cheapest, but most RV stores will carry the stuff. Get a caul that is compatible with your roof and run a bead around the edges to keep it looking near and prevent an edge from coming up.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Take a look at "Gaffers Tape" (That's a generic type of tape not a brand) - far superior to Duct Tape - usually has a natural rubber adhesive - Used by electrical workers (gaffers) in the film industry to hold down cables on floor - That's the type of tape you see covering cables on the floor at most RV shows.

I have several places where the rubber is coming loose in spots anywhere from an inch to four inches long. I think that I'll use dicor. I guess that I'll need to cut the rubber material, insert whatever kind of glue or tape that comes with the repair kit and then press the rubber roof material down tight against the roof. I hate the idea of cutting the roof material to fix a bubble that does not have an tear, but oh well.

For bubbles, unless they are very large the manufacturer recommends just leaving them along and keeping an eye on them. If you visit the Dicor site they have a list of questions and answers for owners relating to roof maintenance. I will quote from that site:

My roof has air bubbles. Is this normal?

Typically, if air bubbles occur they occur during or very soon after the roof has been applied. A couple of reasons for the air bubbles would be that they were not broomed out during application, and we ask the installer not to stretch the material during installation to allow for expansion and contraction of the membrane. Air bubbles will occur with weather conditions and humidity. Air bubbles can also occur at the seams of the roof decking due to flexing and twisting that occurs during transit. Sometimes they occur if there is a significant difference in the temperature between the inside and outside of the unit.

Will the air bubble effect the performance of my roof?

No. The air bubbles will not blow up and pop. They will come and go with the weather conditions, humidity, etc. Please do not puncture the air bubbles. Air bubbles mean there is room for expansion and contraction, lessening the chance of stress cracks later.

Archived