Mounting a Porta Bote on a truck camper

yaaintdeadyet

I've parked my 5th wheel for a few seasons. Now using a Truck Camper exclusively. Were trying to figure out a way to mount my Porta-Bote on the side of my Lance 480 with hydraulic jacks. I've seen and used various means. Including tension straps securing the PBote to the hydraulic jacks. We'd prefer using the PBote brackets with additional hardware attached to the hydraulic jack brackets. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

We had a friend that had his porta-boat sucked off the side of his rig by a passing truck when the screws into his framing didn't hold. He was lucky, minimal damage and didn't wreck anyone else. He remounted it but used bolts that passed completely through the wall with big washers under the heads.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Stanley thanks. I think. As one of the PBote fraternity and a decades worth of RV travel transporting my PBote on my 5th wheel your account is the first I've heard of that type. We've put many miles of travel with the PBote secured to the hydraulic jack framing on the truck camper as well. Heavy, as in seat belt strength, straps with high load rated couplers held the little boat tight. Attached to the jack brackets at 4 points always worked. However, the PBote securement frames are the better option. The caveat of high speed travel with a PBote is the mandatory use of a strap holding the folded PBote tightly closed. That little origami like design doesn't take well to sudden and strong buffeting. We'll get it figured out even without the PBote specific brackets. RV life is so often contrary.

Now on my second Lance I would not risk mounting the boat on the side of the unit. First concern would be the risk of damage to the Lance. The attachment points for the jacks are designed to support the weight of the TC. Drilling additional bolts into them may weaken them. Drilling thru the side wall and trying to attach the straps to sidewall studs would certainly damage the outside and may cause delamination from water intrusion. No mind the fact that when you go to sell or trade the unit it will take away from the value. I wouldn't buy a TC that had holes drilled in the sides. Why not use your top rack for mounting the boat? You could call Lance in Calf. and get their opinion. I have found them to be very helpful. There is also a Lance Owners Forum that you could ask for some advice.

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

I've no porta-bote experience, other than occasional envy so have no real help but I did want to say, welcome to the Escapee forums! We have friends who used to carry one of them using bolts through the sidewall, as Gary mentions but he went inside the RV and added some vertical 1"X6" oak boards from floor to ceiling at the attaching points which were finished and the nuts for the bolts were recessed into the boards and covered, so that nothing showed on the inside. Probably it added a lot of strength to the connection also, but I had no part in installing it, just an observation.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The boat and brackets were not the issue, optimism and inadequate mounting screws were the root added to by being mounted on the driver's side and passing a big truck going the other direction. It has been a few years now but I think the boat was still in both brackets when recovered.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Thanks Kirk. Yet this isn't my first foray on the "SKP" forum. I was a member over a decade ago. Staying active visiting a number of Rainbow Parks a few years while in the full time lifestyle. Dropped off/out for a few reasons Yet I'll always search out this forum for straight up tips and timely tricks. Chief I've owned a half dozen TC's, this will be the second I've decided to carry the PBote on. You're absolutely right, there's no way I'd tap into the skin of a TC. I carried my PBote on the roof rack of my 5th wheel which worked out well. Until I got older. Mounting the PBote wasn't just off the jack brackets, I use the stake pockets on the truck bed also with 4 separate straps. I've seen a couple of different set ups on TC's using the PBote brackets. Nonetheless I'll stick with the strap and cinch method. You're right Stanley as my PBote rides curbside. I want to thank you all. By the way Kirk, I've been "instructed" by my new gal that our next long road foray will include a SKP membership.

Archived