Diesel pusher engine over heat

tfm

I have a 1997 Am. Eagle, diesel pusher, Cummins 8.3 Mechanical, I bought new. The engine runs great, but it always overheats as the temperature goes over 85 degrees. Have spent $1,000.00+ over the years, even went back to Spartan Chassis. The fan has does not run fast and will overheat at stoplight. The coach is now stranded in Las Vegas in 100+ heat.

I want to install an electric fan, any suggestions, pros, cons?

Thanks, Tom

What has the $1000 got you? The 8.3 is pretty bullet-proof, and is a well known engine, but it's overheating is not very common.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

If your rig has a fan clutch and you cant hear the fan running when it gets hot, I would look there.

At that age, depending on history, I would suspect that the radiator might need some attention. Also be sure that there are no obstructions to the radiator air flow. Generally electric fans dont move enough air to be of much help on a diesel. Just my point of view. :)

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

No trouble with the engine. I've changed the radiator cap, thermostat, filters, hydraulic control valve. Some of these were even done at the Spartan Motor coach factory. The coach still overheats in hot weather for years. The fan just does not turn fast. And the radiator probably does need service. I had an electric fan on a Navigator with the same engine and it never overheated.

My Dodge with the 5.9 will try overheating on a climb but I have noticed that if I shift down and hold my RPMs at 2500 it will cool back down,....Under 2500 it keeps getting hotter. Can you hear your fan when the clutch kicks in ? That will be your problem if the fan clutch isn't working. Good Luck

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Since the original question is "will an electric fan help" this may not be a good response, but I wonder if there is a "Spartan Chassis" forum someplace which might have some info/experience with 1990's vintage spartan chassis?

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I think your on the right track, in that the fan needs to turn faster. I'd look into tracking down a hydraulic shop, taking all the info off the current fan motor, It's possible to change the fan speed with a different motor. If you have the time, and tools, and ambition, I'd also pull the rad and take it to a rad shop for an inspection. If you have a rad cap on the rad, something like this can be used to examine the interior of the rad, paying attention to the interior of the tubes.I suggest an electric fan as a poor second choice, but it would get you out of Vegas.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

I have a '99 American Dream....pretty much the same power train you have there. You say the fan seems to be turning too slow. You may be on to something. Should do a pressure/flow test in that hydraulic loop. Could be excessive bypassing in the hyd. motor. How does your power steering seem to work?

Hope you have better luck than we did. On our old 2001 MH I cleaned the radiator and from where we could see it looked ok. Turned out it wasn't. The radiator fins were very bad. If they were touched they would crumble. Needless to say they weren't very efficient at getting rid of the heat. A new radiator cured the problem and all is well now. Just something else to think about.

Good luck, good health and safe travels!

I have a two speed fan for our Cummins ISC, and there is no doubt when that thing comes on. I swear it sounds like a C-124, but it sure cools it back down. But it pretty much only happens on a long pull, and when I'm doping off and don't keep the RPM's up.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Tom , I'm pretty sure your coach is like mine with the side radiator....right? Anyhow the fan is hydraulically driven and speeds up and slows down as needed. It is probably a sensor that is malfunctioning...These things work great and last a long time. I would have it looked at again . Mine never overheats ....touch wood.

Also on these side radiators if you open up the cover you will find that there are 2 rads...well....an AC condensor and your engine rad. They are made to be cleaned by swinging out the outer one...its on a hinge. A lot of dirt can get trapped inbetween them.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

On his coach it's probably like mine. It has a side rad c/w oil coolers in the front of it. Tha a/c condenser should be way up front ahead of the fuel tank.

This problem has been discussed at length on irv2.com. Spartan forum. There is a hyd. motor driving the fan, there is an electric controller for the hyd motor(for lack of the correct term). The hyd motor has multiple speeds I think.That's all I can remember. If mine ever begins to act up, those threads are my first resource. How long since the Hydraulic oil and filter has been changed, or level checked?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If it has a serpentine belt!... When was the last time you changed it??

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

If you need service places in the Vegas area I can recommend Double Eagle RV & Engine repair as well as Specialty Vehicles. Both are shops I and many friends have used over the years. Both do good work.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Archived