Georgie Boy Swinger Engine Replacement

Jeff R B

I'm looking for help with the procedure of removing the engine from my 1996 Swinger. Engine is blown and needs to be replaced. Mechanic says the only way he sees is to drop it out the bottom and that requires removal of the front axel to clear room for the motor.

Anyone know if this is the correct way to get that engine out? Seems like a pretty poor design and surely GB would have designed an easier method.

Thanks

Let me welcome you to the Escapee forums! We are sorry that this problem brought you here but we promise to do all that we can to support you.

It may depend upon what chassis your Swinger has but that is the only way that I know of and I know that it is the way to replace an engine in the Ford chassis motorhomes. I'd suspect that it is true for most gas motorhomes, and that even diesel pushers have to go out the bottom.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'm looking for help with the procedure of removing the engine from my 1996 Swinger. Engine is blown and needs to be replaced. Mechanic says the only way he sees is to drop it out the bottom and that requires removal of the front axel to clear room for the motor.

Anyone know if this is the correct way to get that engine out? Seems like a pretty poor design and surely GB would have designed an easier method.

Thanks

I don't know of a motorhome manufacturer that would be concerned about how you get an engine out. They buy a chassis and then build the body around it. The least of their concerns would be about someone replacing the engine.

By the way who/what is "GB"?

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I don't know of a motorhome manufacturer that would be concerned about how you get an engine out. They buy a chassis and then build the body around it. The least of their concerns would be about someone replacing the engine.

I think "GB" stands for Georgie Boy.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

The Swinger is a model of motorhome which was manufactured by the company Georgie Boy, out of Michigan. The company was bought out by Coachman around the year 2000 and Coachman RV division is now part of Thor Inc. and I think that the only model that continues to be built is the Cruise Master. Georgie Boy is one more of the RV builders who stuck to building reasonably good quality RVs until they eventually had to sell out due to poor returns.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

To my knowledge, removing the front axle is the only practical option for removing the gas engine. Some diesel pushers have the means to remove the rear bumper and paneling+frame crossmember, place the engine on a rolling support and roll it away from the MH. One man on irv2.com just completed overhauling his Cummins ISC engine that way.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived