Check for updates folks!

RV_

I just read Dennis' post about all the updates today. They came out yesterday, the second Tuesday of the month. As did a critical Flash update.

If you are running Windows 8/8.1 Flash will be updated with Windows updates.

If you are running Windows 7 or Vista, the flash updates are critical and the current one is 18.0.0.209. Anything earlier and you are very much vulnerable to several high profile attacks just recently disseminated by the hackers who were hacked.

Do both your Flash and Windows updates ASAP people. The vulnerabilities are already in the field being exploited by those who aren't updating ASAP. They are large and if needed by data limits go to a free Wi-Fi hotspot or whatever, but do patch as soon as possible folks.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV

I went into Manage Add On and disabled my Adobe flash today. I then got on Youtube and watched some Piper Malibu Mirage flight videos with no problems. I am going to see if I can live without Adobe Flash?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

You will most likely loose much of the animated (not cartoon, but moving content) content on web sites. Many sites use Flash. I have always allowed Flash to be updated by WU. I was very pleased when MS included Flash updates in WU. One less thing for me to do manually.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

I NEVER update Windows on the day they come out. They have had some very bad updates in the last several months that have screwed up people's computer. I usually wait a week and if there are no problems reported, I do the updates. If issues arise, they are usually reported with the update number and I can refuse them until it gets fixed. The Flash update is important, but be sure and download it ONLY from Adobe's website. Anywhere else and you could get malware. Here is one from March, http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/03/ms-update-3033929-causing-reboot-loop/ . Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Interesting. I support 5 PCs plus a Windows 2012 Server in a retail store, plus the 4 PCs in the trailer. They are updated on the day the updates roll out. Been doing it for years. Still waiting for those problems that people have with updates.

Maybe using quality peripherals and keeping the drivers up to date has something to do with it.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Yep!! Those hackers like those, that don't update the critical updates until a week or so later. :lol:

Gives them more time to get into those computers.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Yep!! Those hackers like those, that don't update the critical updates until a week or so later. :lol:

Gives them more time to get into those computers.

All I can say in response is that we have been using our computer traveling all over the U.S., Caribbean, and Central America, often using public WiFi. Very little of our computer security has to do with updates. We have NEVER had our computer hacked or our identity stolen, nor has anyone we know. We do use a number of security measures other than Windows Updates. I would never depend on those updates solely to protect our computer. I wonder if anyone here has had their computer getting hacked that would have been prevented by updating Windows? I'm not saying don't do it. But be aware there can be problems from these updates. If you believe the world as you know it will come to an end if you don't have the updates immediately, then by all means. You probably also don't believe that the hackers probably have a work around an hour after the updates are issued, and probably also believe that they won't be able to hack your computer for the next month while you're waiting for the next round of those updates. We did a blog post some time back on our boating site that outlines some of the security precautions we use, besides Windows Updates. Chuck

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

RV

I went into Manage Add On and disabled my Adobe flash today. I then got on Youtube and watched some Piper Malibu Mirage flight videos with no problems. I am going to see if I can live without Adobe Flash?

Dennis

Are you referring to your browser? I went into the Add-ons section in Firefox and Adobe Flash is not present, even though Adobe Flash is installed on my computer. Neither is Adobe Flash listed in my start menu under All Programs. Adobe Flash is not listed under Control Panel either, although it is listed under Programs and Features. I'm just wondering how I could turn Adobe Flash on or off if I wanted to.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

In Firefox Addons it's listed as Shockwave Flash. If you visit websites that still use it, set to "Ask". You will then have to OK it to run. If you update to 18.whatever it is now, the problem is suppose to be fixed but I still have mine set to Ask. In your control panel, it should show up as Flash Player. Chuck

In Firefox Addons it's listed as Shockwave Flash. If you visit websites that still use it, set to "Ask". You will then have to OK it to run. If you update to 18.whatever it is now, the problem is suppose to be fixed but I still have mine set to Ask. In your control panel, it should show up as Flash Player. Chuck

Thanks. Yes, I have Shockwave Flash and have had it set to "Ask".

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Running without Flash is just too limited to browse the web.

However on Chrome and Firefox, you can set Flash to Ask before running. Now you can watch the things you want and not let run-away video pop-ups get in the way.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived