sm code

heavyduty

Hi guys this is my first post. I have a 2005 volvo 670 with a D12 and a meritor fredomline trans. Every now and then out of the blue I get a beep and a SM code on the display. Truck runs fine and shifts fine. Does anyone know what could be causing this. I have been a HD guy for about 6 months now. Have been flowing the forum but this is my first post. Thanks in advance for any help

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Mine was caused by a loose wire coming from the batteries,redo all battery connections -and I mean all- then check the connections of the wires coming from the bats to the voltage doubler ,mine fell apart in my hand.

That was three years ago (flawless ever since) ,The freedomline tech at Volvo recommends to fleet mechanics to do it every 30 days,(once a year at our mileages).

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

As far as I know, I'm the only one that has had a doubler fail. I'm not into carrying $500 parts around for "spares". It was 10 years old with 530,000 miles. I'm hoping I never see another failure. Since you do not have a freedomline can I assume your question was some sort of poke at those of us that do?

I do not carry a spare tire, starter or alternator either.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I do carry a spare brake can after a broken park brake spring put me on the side of the road. $35.00 brake can was $100.00 when delivered by a truck repair ambulance. Now that I have a spare, I will probably never need it. OOPS, this had nothing to do with a voltage doubler.......... Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

I also do not carry one. I do, however, keep handy the web site and part number for the lower cost, domestically sourced, non-ZF voltage doubler that Big5er found when his truck was down.

The previous owner of my truck warned me that the voltage doubler was the single most common failure point of the FreedomLine -- and he knew that from experience, as his fleet was running about a dozen or so trucks with them at the time, with each truck averaging more than 100,000 miles per year -- but even with that million-plus mile per year exposure, the failure rate was low enough that he didn't carry a "spare" voltage doubler in any of his trucks. He was also satisfied enough with the reliability of the FreedomLine (and their voltage doublers) that he was trying to buy new, glider-based trucks with remanned FreedomLines in them (this was in early 2008, and the EatonFuller "agreement" with the OEMs had already forced ZFMeritor out of the new truck market) as replacements for the T2000s that he was selling off.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Phil D,

I had read the same thing about the voltage double being one of the "known" areas of concern for failures and was wondering if it was a "spare" that should be carried. I wasn't aware it was so "pricey" so I can understand not having one just lying around. Do you know if there is more than one part number used for the replacement part?

On a side note there is a new topic on one of the other forums here asking some questions about the FreedomLine. Maybe if you have a minute you might be able to lend some assistance. I believe the thread is titled

"Volvo automatic transmission"

HD, sorry I didn't answer your question the first time.Go to this here website and you will find more reading material about the freedomline than you could ever want (well more than I ever wanted, your actual usage may vary :) )

Look for the "Operator Manual TP 20170" (second one down I think) and it will show you all the codes that the dash display may show and tell you the appropriate response you should take.

Also, check the transmission ecu and read the codes. One of the manuals (diagnostic I think) will explain the error codes.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived