Micro SDXC 128 GB Card

DJW

Looking to get GD a Micro SDXC 128 GB card for her new Windows 8.1 Lumia 640 phone. Are there and brands better than another, any brands I should stay away from?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Go with major brands like Sandisk, Sony, PNY, Samsung, Lexar, Kingston or Transcend. These will cost you $60 to $80 on Amazon and other places. There are some off brand deals for under $20 on Amazon that I would not trust.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Here is a starting point: http://www.tomshardware.com/s/fastest+sdxc/

Toms is excellent for accurate reviews of hardware.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Ok let's establish right up front I am not sure I am asking the right question. On the GD's new Lumia Window 8.1 phone it has 16GB of storage and can handle a 128 GB micro-SDXC card. I was looking to get her a 128GB card so she could load more of her music , pictures games etc. So much of the 16 GB's are used up with pre loaded apps etc.. Will the SDXC card allow her to do this?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Yes it will Dennis. However, why not get a 64GB micro SDXC to start. Despite the rating as SDXC some can't handle the large ones well. I have a 64 GB micro in my Windows phone with only music on it. It took forever to list all the items for immediate retrieval. So while it may be compatible, I'd stick with the 64s for now. Be sure the specs state that it handles the 126GB and does not just say SDXC cards only.

BTW I just posted that MS is not dropping the Windows phone at all, and is committed to it.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV

I have checked it a couple of times. The Lumia 640 will take a 128GB micro SDXC card. My thoughts was just to max out it capabilities and be done with it?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

A few words about moving apps to the SD card:

Info also gets revealed about speed level requirements of MicroSD cards that will be able to support ‘apps installation on SD card with Windows Phone 8.1‘.

Minimum speed levels required to support the app installation movement to SD card is above Class 6 SDHC card Class 10 SDHC. No support for Class 4 SDHC cards or below. Windows Phone will automatically detect the inserted SD card and if the SD card speed does not support the minimum requirements, the app movement form phone to SD card option gets deactivated.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Dennis, then you are OK. I've not seen any SDXC 128GB cards below class 10 or UHS type, but I stick to the major brands and like Sandisk among others. The phones will not actually use the UHS but the UHS cards are all class 10 and above anyway.

Bud have you ever tried to record 64GB or music to the card in your computer and then watch it be digested for several hours building a data list for it? They are fine once they are read and indexed. But better have them plugged in and let it work overnight. I also find that my tablets also are finicky about one brand, but it works fine in another.

Also remember she will have some online free storage, about 7GB free when she is logged into her Windows account. More available for a small fee per year and also from Amazon. I am as bit leery about the smaller companies as some have already gone out of business or revoked their free storage like Pogoplug just recently did. Yes I have one but never used it, not once beyond registering.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Here's a today only on a 128 card class 10 UHS for $44.49 and PNY is a reliable brand. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9743560&Sku=KNY-102959983

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Good one especially for the money. Sandisk is good, but the important thing is the vendor because there are fake cards out there too that use the name without permission. So make sure you buy from someone like that eBay vendor where you are protected and use PayPal. If it works when you get it, and you don't crack it or subject it to flames it will work as long as you need it. I use my cards in our phones and they have yet to have one fail. I did have to reformat one once years ago and it was a 32GB card from Transcend, not a great name but OK. It worked after I did as format back to Fat 32. Some of the older ones don't like EXFAT.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

If you do not like EBay you can buy good cards at some of the big box stores. If you have problem you can always take it back. The price is dropping on many of the name brand cards.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Archived