Magnum Inverter / Power Loss Question

gg923

Greetings,

I have a good issue. My inverter does such a fine job that if I lose power at the pedestal (breaker trips) the inverter takes over and I don't realize it until the batteries reach a level where the inverter shuts everything down. Normally this is not the case because we have either AC or HPs running but this year we are in a very cool environment and are not using either very much.

My question is whether there is a setting or a trick that I can use to help me recognize when the "shift" takes place (we lose pedestal power or the inverter takes over for any reason)? I guess I could shut the inverter off unless I purposely want to turn it on - is this what most folks do?

Thanks!

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

A cheap power failure alarm plugged into a non-inverter powered outlet is the easy solution.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Yes, I use a power failure alarm. That solves the issue if you are at home. But if away you could potentially still kill your battery bank, depending on the length of the power failure and the load.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks Stanley & Jack! Didn't know there was such a thing - will check it out AFTER I find a non-inverted outlet!

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

If you have Auto Generator Start (AGS) module for the Magnum, you could set it to come on at a higher then normal SOC. Say 85% SOC. Of course, the alarm is still prudent, as your AGS settings could have blackout times set from say 10:00PM to 6:00AM (or whatever you set it to be). So, still a risk of running things down.

We keep our inverter on 7/24 while traveling, for the residential fridge and for the puppy too.

We had an interesting failure of power in a park a few days back. The park did not have individual breakers at each site plug in. They had a box that contained anywhere from just two, to up to four, sites. The gent next to us, turned our breaker off by accident, as he was working on his electrical system. Never figured out why he just did not unplug his cord, if he wanted to disconnect. Wife had the convection oven on, the TV, Genie, and Stereo Receiver were on too. If we had not got hot and I went to turn on the AC - where 10 mins later it had not kicked in - I would not have known we had a power failure:)! Talking to the gent next door, it had been about 40-50 mins, and when I realized we'd had a power failure, we were at 83% SOC already. Suspect the convection oven consumes some power:)!

So, on my shopping list at the next big Lowes or Home Depot, is the audible alarm via power failure:)! We do have our AGS set at 75% SOC, and were a few hours away from quite time settings, so it would have been a good test of the system. (I did set the AGS to 90% SOC when we first were setting things up, and then ran some loads, and sure enough the AGS did kick in:)! But, that's been 2 1/2 years so testing again would not hurt:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived