Used HDT dealer prices

remoandiris

Exactly the same...

If you get serous about one, and are not mechanically minded specifically with Semi's, have someone you trust totally check it out before making a deal.....you may have to pay a bit if you don't personally know someone.

Minimum is a Dyno test as well as an oil analysis IMO.

Also if newer, have the computer "Dumped" so you can see what has been happening with it.

And I agree with SIBERNUT's post above.

Good luck and Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

What isn't said is that commercial trucks sales are "as is". No warranty from the dealer. If the truck is under 500,000 miles, there might be manufacture warranty.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

What is " caveat emptor" in spades???

Not Sibernut, but means buyer beware!! I bought my truck from one of "the highly recommended " dealers on this forum several years ago. Although I have a good truck they did not live up to the deal we negotiated and I ended up footing the bill for things they were supposed to fix.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I've seen some pretty good deals from Canadian dealers, but not sure how easy the process would be to purchase... It's already a nightmare to get the paperwork and other things sorted out in the states, just think how crazy it would be to purchase a truck from Canada..

But if I wanted the truck bad enough, I would find a way to get it...

The Few

Not Sibernut, but means buyer beware!! I bought my truck from one of "the highly recommended " dealers on this forum several years ago. Although I have a good truck they did not live up to the deal we negotiated and I ended up footing the bill for things they were supposed to fix.

Well, please share your experience, so that we could at least get an idea what to look for when purchasing...

The Few

I've seen some pretty good deals from Canadian dealers, but not sure how easy the process would be to purchase... It's already a nightmare to get the paperwork and other things sorted out in the states, just think how crazy it would be to purchase a truck from Canada..

My truck came from Canada. Gregg with Rv haulers brought the paper work. And after a long process sorting out Rv from commercial tractor they took the Canadian title and entered Alabama (AL) as the state of purchase cuz Alberta did not fit in the box.

Really not a big deal paper work wise. But check with RVHaulers.ca for his inventory.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

My truck came from Canada. Gregg with Rv haulers brought the paper work. And after a long process sorting out Rv from commercial tractor they took the Canadian title and entered Alabama (AL) as the state of purchase cuz Alberta did not fit in the box.

Really not a big deal paper work wise. But check with RVHaulers.ca for his inventory.

JC

I would LOVE to buy a truck from Gregg, but His prices are a bit too much for me, I just cannot justify spending more money on something, just for a few times out a year...

I don't plan on full timing, and I feel I can do the same thing cheaper...

I have enough toys in my garage already, and my wife has been patient enough with me.. I certainly don't want to rock the boat too hard, it was tough enough to entertain her with the idea to buy a semi truck to go camping... LOL

The Few

Well, please share your experience, so that we could at least get an idea what to look for when purchasing...

Understand some of this was my fault but equally shared with the dealer. Will try to keep this as short as possible. The "recommended dealer" was 250 miles from where I live. The salesman I dealt with had good recommendations from the forum at the time also. I went down to look at some trucks during my day off from work and they had multiple 670's on the lot and one older beat up 770. I wanted a 780 and the salesman told me that the following week he would have availability of several hundreds of 780's from USXpress that were coming off fleet and would be on sale with a six month warranty included. BTW the dealer made a point of telling me that this dealership dealt only in a "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" way if you get my drift. I told him I would buy a truck if it was able to be dino'd, was non-smoking, and if it was able to meet "truck terms" (a written set of published stipulations that fleets use to buy used trucks since they can't look at each and every purchase) . He agreed and I told him I would be unable to come back anytime during the "sale" period due to work but would he send pictures of "my" potential truck. He did send pictures, was told the dino was being done and the truck was in the shop for the warranty inspection and truck terms inspection. I consummated the deal and arranged for delivery of the truck by a truck delivery service and asked for the paperwork, inspection, dino to be sent by fed ex prior to the delivery which was three days from purchase. Truck arrives, NO paperwork, NO dino done, NO warranty inspection. When I contacted the salesman he said it had been done and he just got busy and forgot to fed ex. One week later-nothing. Re-contacted, a mistake had been made and none of the above had been done. With none to pleasant of a conversation he agreed to have the inspection done at the Volvo dealership in my home town which turned up a number of minor issues which, to their credit, the dealer paid to have fixed in order to warranty (which is by an independent warranty agent). Two major issues, a broken front leaf spring, and two tires with huge splits were also found. The salesman told me to send the tires to him and he would ship me two new recaps which I did at my cost of $230. After replacing the leafs the "recommended dealer" refused payment for that part and labor. Also after several heated conversations, they refused to send new tires even after having me ship them the old ones. My eventual out of pocket over $3000. In summary, I take a lot of the blame. I should have had the truck independently inspected and refused delivery until done, but I naively believed the warranty inspection and agreement to truck terms would be sufficient. In reality, they should have been, especially with the leaf and tires. I am a person of faith but learned a costly lesson. Do you own homework and leg work, be wary if a sign hangs over a business door that says we deal only in a Christian way, and always buyer beware. I know someone says I could have brought legal action, but the time and cost would have probably equaled my out of pocket and I did end up with a good truck for a decent price.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Explanation of "truck terms":

http://www.semitruckbuyer.com/uta_trade_terms.pdf

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Understand some of this was my fault but equally shared with the dealer. Will try to keep this as short as possible. The "recommended dealer" was 250 miles from where I live. The salesman I dealt with had good recommendations from the forum at the time also. I went down to look at some trucks during my day off from work and they had multiple 670's on the lot and one older beat up 770. I wanted a 780 and the salesman told me that the following week he would have availability of several hundreds of 780's from USXpress that were coming off fleet and would be on sale with a six month warranty included. BTW the dealer made a point of telling me that this dealership dealt only in a "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" way if you get my drift. I told him I would buy a truck if it was able to be dino'd, was non-smoking, and if it was able to meet "truck terms" (a written set of published stipulations that fleets use to buy used trucks since they can't look at each and every purchase) . He agreed and I told him I would be unable to come back anytime during the "sale" period due to work but would he send pictures of "my" potential truck. He did send pictures, was told the dino was being done and the truck was in the shop for the warranty inspection and truck terms inspection. I consummated the deal and arranged for delivery of the truck by a truck delivery service and asked for the paperwork, inspection, dino to be sent by fed ex prior to the delivery which was three days from purchase. Truck arrives, NO paperwork, NO dino done, NO warranty inspection. When I contacted the salesman he said it had been done and he just got busy and forgot to fed ex. One week later-nothing. Re-contacted, a mistake had been made and none of the above had been done. With none to pleasant of a conversation he agreed to have the inspection done at the Volvo dealership in my home town which turned up a number of minor issues which, to their credit, the dealer paid to have fixed in order to warranty (which is by an independent warranty agent). Two major issues, a broken front leaf spring, and two tires with huge splits were also found. The salesman told me to send the tires to him and he would ship me two new recaps which I did at my cost of $230. After replacing the leafs the "recommended dealer" refused payment for that part and labor. Also after several heated conversations, they refused to send new tires even after having me ship them the old ones. My eventual out of pocket over $3000. In summary, I take a lot of the blame. I should have had the truck independently inspected and refused delivery until done, but I naively believed the warranty inspection and agreement to truck terms would be sufficient. In reality, they should have been, especially with the leaf and tires. I am a person of faith but learned a costly lesson. Do you own homework and leg work, be wary if a sign hangs over a business door that says we deal only in a Christian way, and always buyer beware. I know someone says I could have brought legal action, but the time and cost would have probably equaled my out of pocket and I did end up with a good truck for a decent price.

HOLY COW!!

That is EXACTLY the type of explanation I needed to hear!!

It gives me a direction to at least know what to look and listen for when purchasing my truck.. I never even had the thought, that truck dealerships could be shady, just as much as car dealers are..

Thank you so much sir, for taking the time to explain to all of us some of the things these " not so nice" people are trying to pull on" good old fashion" kind hearted people!!

Much Obliged!!

The Few

The process is pretty straightforward.

These days a heck of a lot of good Canadian trucks are being sold to US buyers.

The exchange rate is very very good these days.

Your dollar is worth 25% more here than on US soil.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

The process is pretty straightforward.

These days a heck of a lot of good Canadian trucks are being sold to US buyers.

The exchange rate is very very good these days.

Your dollar is worth 25% more here than on US soil.

Rick

Is there much asspain with importing an HDT from Canada?

Is there much asspain with importing an HDT from Canada?

Well, that is subjective in a way.

It is all basically handled by a broker (paper-work).

I have helped dozens of guys in the past 10 years find & buy a Canadian class 8 trucks.

I use the same broker every-time, it goes smoothly.

You still have to come here, so you need a passport.

Most buyers fly in, and drive the truck home.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Any U.S. members looking to buy a truck or smart , watch the dollar exchange rate ,your money is worth more every day,must be close 20% by now.

PSD is giving good advice always use a broker the process is dead simple. (write a small check) :-)

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Unlike Carl I had my truck inspected by an independent inspector (at my cost-$300) The dealer (GATR in Sauk Rapids, MN) repaired all of the agreed upon issues and I flew up and drove it home to Texas, basically sight unseen. I had pictures and a long talk with the inspector, and my dealer took it for a dyno and sent me the paperwork before I ever left Texas.

I negotiated an axle worth of brakes and drums, some cosmetic items and a few other little things, along with about $6k off the asking price.

And I did all my shopping on Truckpaper.com

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Unlike Carl I had my truck inspected by an independent inspector (at my cost-$300) The dealer (GATR in Sauk Rapids, MN) repaired all of the agreed upon issues and I flew up and drove it home to Texas, basically sight unseen. I had pictures and a long talk with the inspector, and my dealer took it for a dyno and sent me the paperwork before I ever left Texas.

I negotiated an axle worth of brakes and drums, some cosmetic items and a few other little things, along with about $6k off the asking price.

And I did all my shopping on Truckpaper.com

Yeah but Phil you're a lot smarter than me. I'm learning a lot from being stupid:)

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Yeah but Phil you're a lot smarter than me. I'm learning a lot from being stupid:)

I know that ain't none of that true.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I would LOVE to buy a truck from Gregg, but His prices are a bit too much for me, I just cannot justify spending more money on something, just for a few times out a year...

I don't plan on full timing, and I feel I can do the same thing cheaper...

I have enough toys in my garage already, and my wife has been patient enough with me.. I certainly don't want to rock the boat too hard, it was tough enough to entertain her with the idea to buy a semi truck to go camping... LOL

Have you considered buying a truck (already set up for towing a 5'er) off of the HDT forum? I have seen quite a few come on the market, with prices ranging from $20K to $75K, and more.

As Jim said, your first choice should be a forum truck already converted and with a "provenance". You will pay less in the long run, and end up with a better chance of minimizing issues. You WILL HAVE issues, but likely less than a fresh "off the road" commercial truck.

IF you decide to buy direct from a dealer Phil's experience is pretty much a good model to follow. You CAN get a decent truck that way. But you still must hold at least $5K in reserve for repairs (repairs only - NOT improvements to make it an RV hauler). And on a truck in the 2008 or newer vintage I'd increase that reserve to $8K. Hopefully you never spend it all, but you will spend SOME of it, no matter how well the truck is inspected.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived