Which is better GoodSam Towing or AAA

docd55

Between the two, Good Sam ERS by far. They know RVs better, and you get much more for your money. That said, my choice is Coach-Net over Good Sam. (I have been a AAA member in the past).

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I have had Coach-Net since the coach was new. Service has been very good. Price is very close if not same as Good Sam. Coach-Net has a slightly better rep with the towing companies than Good Sam ...all the road service providers end up using pretty much the same tow truck companies. Coach-Net (and I understand Good Sam has added this service in recent years) has 24 hr tech support by phone. If I have a problem, I call. They will find a tech who knows my coach and have him call me back within 15 minutes. Many times the tech has talked me through a resolution and there is no cost to me. If that doesn't work, they will send either a mobile tech or a tow truck depending on the problem/diagnosis. If mobile tech, they pay service call charge and I pay parts & labor. If tow, same deal. Coach-Net offers a slight discount to many rv clubs, mfg'er clubs, etc. My Coach-Net member card is labeled Winnebago Premium Roadside Assistance.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I don't have a comparison to make. We've always had AAA. I do have to make it very clear to the agent that I have a 5th wheel trailer and that we have the RV coverage. Even then I've been disappointed with the service they send out. Fortunately they have always made good on their service. Generally the service tech arrives within 30 minutes of call with the tools to accomplish the job. Been very pleased with AAA overall. And even though they seem to always be increasing their rates we feel they are competitive with other outfits. Good luck. Dennis

After reading Rod's posting I thought I'd let him know that EVERY time I've called for service the first thing I'm asked is whether I'm in a safe place. I'll bet the reason they do that is because of Rod. <G> Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

You left out the 3rd service, Coach-Net, which is my preferred. I've used all 3 over the years and there's actually not a big difference. My experience was that it mattered more what area you were in, or which of the 100's of customer service reps happened to get your call; rather than which of the 3 major service plans you were with. Coach-Net seems to have more CSR's who can walk, talk and read at the same time. Good Sam seems to have more incompetent idiots answering the phones. With AAA, RV's are a sideline, not their major focus.

They all rely on the same local service providers and there is little they can do when those local service providers are all busy.

PS: why did you post the exact same question twice?

Jim

I was an AAA provider for many years, first as an employee and then as a Service Station owner. Once i got out of the business and started traveling I paid AAA for many years, using them very infrequently until one day in South Florida I was stranded in a middle lane of a multi-lane street in Hollywood Florida. I had a F350 and my brothers 5th wheel toy hauler and was less than a mile from my destination when the transmission of the ford decided to puke out nearly all of it's transmission fluid and left me stranded.

I pulled out my AAA card and called the number giving my location, the fact that my then 10 year old daughter was in the truck with me and that I needed immediate assistance in moving the vehicle off the traveled portion of the road. I was then notified that I didn't "Have RV coverage and they could not assist." I informed them I wasn't asking them to pay for the tow, only to send a truck to get me off the road and I would gladly pay for the service call and argue about the coverage later. After 3 hours one of the cab over trucks arrives to a parking lot near where I was on the road. A kid get's out of the truck and starts waving at me to come to the parking lot. Thankfully a city police officer had arrived a bit earlier and was able to stop the traffic for my daughter and I to make it to the parking lot. The kid tells me he cannot lift my truck and trailer and is unable to assist. I inform him of my experience with tow vehicles and explain how we can move the truck and trailer out of traffic and reduce the traffic hazard and it appears that he agrees. The truck was still running so the power steering and the brakes were still in complete function. Next thing I know the kid turns the opposite direction and is never seen again. Additional calls to the AAA service line were less than helpful. Finally a guy in another F350 stops, pulls out a broken chain from the bed of the truck, uses a padlock to hook the links together and pulls me into the parking lot where the AAA service truck had just been. Did I jump to sign up for AAA RV Service. ABSOLUTELY NOT will I ever spend another dime with AAA the same NO, actually HELL NO.

It's been 7 or 8 years now that the issue occurred. It is still fresh in my mind and every-time I get one of those "We want you back" mailings from AAA with the postage paid envelope they get it back with every bit of junk mail I can find stuffed into the envelope. Hopefully they recycle.

I did pay Good Sam one year and really got tired of all the mail generated from joining them. I tried Coach Net also for one year and only used them once and it would have been less expensive if I hadn't called them. I now have only my smart phone and credit card. I will google the towing companies close to me, call them advise them of where I am how far it seems to be to the closest safe place to pull the truck and trailer and find out how much it will cost. The lowest one will get my money and I will decide how to resolve the issue completely once off the road. With the Volvo I don't have to worry about it puking the transmission fluid and hopefully an issue will present itself early enough where I can get off the road under my own power. I figure I have saved several hundreds of dollars so far by not paying for something I don't use all that often. I do have alternate vehicles with me almost all the time so that does help.

Rod

forgot to answer the question. AAA is the Worst way to go in my opinion, so Good Sam must be better, not the best but I'm sure better even though I never called them.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Over the years I have read in forums about AAA & Good Sam not understanding about needing to send large tow trucks for larger RV's, i.e. 35' and diesel pushers. Not that Coach Net has never sent the wrong equipment, just that I have seem more complaints about AAA & GS.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Watching this discussion with interest. Progressive offers roadside for our RV but I've got no info or history with them. I have used Good Sam for tech help (outstanding by the way) but a $30 rider on my RV insurance sure beats the heck out of a $139 bill to Good Sam for ERS.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Good Sam's ERS coverage is under contract to Allstate Motor Club. Coach-Net is an ERS provider that handles calls for companies such as Ford for some truck models, as well as a number of RV manufacturers and their own direct subscribers of course. We have Coach-Net and have been more than satisfied with the services we've gotten from them. The estimated retail cost of the towing and other services we've received over the years would more than cover our subscription costs until at least 2020.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

As I understand AAA coverage, they are set-up in zones, with each zone having their own coverage plans. 1Rod will know about that-if it is still true. I only considered Good Sam and CoachNet ERS coverage when I was shopping around.

Sorry for the small print, for some reason I cannot increase font size here today.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We have been with Coach-Net since 1991. Used it 4 times for major tows and twice for flat tires. Never a problem.

Larry & Joan Whitworth
Daisy - The Japanese Chin
Alex - The Tibetan Spaniel
2010 Crossroads Kingston KF36CK
2008 F-250 6.4L
Edge Evolution Programmer
Full Time Since 2007

USMC 1963-1969

Vietnam 1965-1966

I had AAA with my car and that was OK but my car insurance had just as good coverage for less money. Once we started traveling in RVs we discovered that AAA doesn't have the same coverage in all states so we changed over to Good Sam ERS. It was pretty good, much better for RVs that AAA but it was always very slow. I would rate them as satisfactory, but no better.

When we bought our full-time motorhome the manufacturer recommended Coach Net as their preferred so I chose to give them a try. In 17 years of membership with CN we have only needed the motorhome towed one time and the service then was above reproach. The wrecker driver called to let me know that he was in route less than 30 min. after I contacted CN. Since he was over an hour away he then called again when 10 minutes out to verify exactly where we were as we were in a campsite at a COE park. The truck sent was one of the big truck movers and the operator was very skilled, wore clean clothing and his truck and tools were clean and well organized. He was truly a professional. In those years we also used their service for minor issues on several occasions with equal satisfaction. One feature that we like CN for is the advice line of RV techs who can assist you with RV related issues which do not prevent travel with the RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Watching this discussion with interest. Progressive offers roadside for our RV but I've got no info or history with them. I have used Good Sam for tech help (outstanding by the way) but a $30 rider on my RV insurance sure beats the heck out of a $139 bill to Good Sam for ERS.

My towing rider with Progressive was $24 for a year at last renewal. We've used it twice, and each time they were great. Once in the Yukon, where I wouldn't accept a tow. I wanted a flatbed trailer to put the coach on. They said no problem. The truck had to come from Whitehorse, 180 miles away. So it was 360 miles round trip. I of course never saw the bill, but I'm sure that wasn't cheap. For $24 a year, they certainly have me as a satisfied customer.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

I pulled out my AAA card and called the number giving my location, the fact that my then 10 year old daughter was in the truck with me and that I needed immediate assistance in moving the vehicle off the traveled portion of the road. I was then notified that I didn't "Have RV coverage and they could not assist."

This is the main reason not to use AAA...they don't offer their RV service in all areas, so if you have a breakdown in an non-serviced area, you're on your own getting help...and then seeking reimbursement afterward.

I would stick with either Good Sam's ERS or CoachNet's. We've had both and have had good service from each.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Read both contracts and decide which is best for you.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We've used Good Sam ERS multiple times and they've always taken care of us. I like the are you in a safe location question.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Folks I'm not here as an apologist for AAA but some of the info I've seen posted is counter to my experiences. I've heard for years that AAA does not work in all parts of the country. That may be true I don't know. I do know that I've traveled from CA to IN and have had to have service calls in WA, OR, NV, MT, IL, AZ ------ There are probably more but I don't keep exact records. I've never had any problem getting service anywhere we've traveled. We've not traveled east of the Mississippi (other than up in the Great Lakes area) so I have absolutely no knowledge about their coverage in those regions. It would be nice to report only what is ACTUALLY known. Safe travels to everyone and I hope we never have to utilize ANY roadside service! :) Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

We have had AAA for over 15 years. When we purchased AAA we bought RV coverage not because we had an RV, but we had a motorcycle. We have used AAA many times for both the motorcycle and the RV. But, we have never had to have the RV towed, which is were the problem my rise. I have heard that AAA does work in zones, but have had to test that information.

event.png

Here's my $0.02. My one experience with Good Sam was not too encouraging. (actually not me personally, but a friend I was riding with - but I also have Good Sam.) We were in Buena Vista, Colorado. We had just come out of a restaurant, and my friend was backing his jeep out of the parking place and the right front wheel literally fell off. So it's sitting down on the axle, unmovable (luckily not in traffic) So he calls Good Sam. After the obligatory wait of 5 mins or so, the agent tells him that they will call him back in 5 minutes with his tow information. So after about 45 minutes go by, he calls them back (He's much more patient than me) and the agent tells him that they can't find a tow anywhere in the area, and say goodbye. Literally! Just left him there with no hope of help from them. We had actually seen a tow truck go by, so we knew there were trucks in the area. We finally did get local service, but no thanks to Good Sam. If Marcus Lemonis himself hadn't have given me Good Sam towing for a few years, I'd be elsewhere. Even free, I wonder. (No I'm not a close personal friend, I just was at a CW meet and greet he hosted.)

My towing rider with Progressive was $24 for a year at last renewal. We've used it twice, and each time they were great. Once in the Yukon, where I wouldn't accept a tow. I wanted a flatbed trailer to put the coach on. They said no problem. The truck had to come from Whitehorse, 180 miles away. So it was 360 miles round trip. I of course never saw the bill, but I'm sure that wasn't cheap. For $24 a year, they certainly have me as a satisfied customer.

This is the first mention I have read about the towing coverage with Progressive. I have it also and have never used it. It is my understanding it is with a Agero.

Anyone have any experience with this company other than the post above?

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

This is the first mention I have read about the towing coverage with Progressive. I have it also and have never used it. It is my understanding it is with a Agero.

Anyone have any experience with this company other than the post above?

Not Progressive especially, but almost all RV insurance policies will have an inexpensive rider to cover road service. Our Blue Sky policy has a $75/yr option which I have used twice with great results to get me out of jams. I would never consider one of the stand alone roadside assistance companies. Look at your policy. As stated they all use the same local towing companies so it comes down to the guy or gal on the other end of the phone taking your call and that will be hit or miss regardless of how much you pay for the policy.

Rich

Have had Good Sams ERS and now Coachnet, both for around $100 a year give excellent service, at least that's been my experience. They will get doors unlocked, (any vehicle you own or RV), They'll deliver fuel, they'll change a flat, give directions....They'll tow any vehicle you own, will tow your TV and/or your 5er or trailer if need be to nearest service center, or campground if close by and you prefer that....

4 years ago, I was camping on MY property in WVa in the middle of nowhere, Pence Springs WVa on Greenbriar River....lot's of rain and river was raising fast...I hooked to my 5er to get out of the area and I got stuck in the soft ground...truck and 5er.....I did all I could, but to no avail...I gave it a shot and called Coachnet and could only give them my GPS coordinates and tell them the name of the dot on the map....I told them what was going on and this was spring and we had about 2 hrs of daylight...got to admit, wife and I were starting to panic....I unhooked truck from 5er, (setting in a 90 degree angle with the 5er...), pulled out from underneath it after getting it shored up..so we knew WE could leave, but didn't know if river would get our 5er or not...Coachnet person took all information, and called back to tell us a tow truck was on the way.....she kept calling to get an update....a tow truck showed up BUT he wouldn't come onto the property...couldn't blame him, it was very damp....he told me to hook back up to 5er and he set his riggers out and hooked his long winch cable to front tow hooks on my truck (2010 Ram Dually)... and commenced to pulling me and my 5er out of the muck and got us on solid ground....coulda kissed them;)...oh, there was no charge, not one cent!! I'm sticking with Coachnet...they went above and beyond so I'll stay with them until it doesn't work anymore...and yeah, since then I've had gravel road put in and full concrete pad to park my 5er on.....I've also had a tire changed that Coachnet fixed for me in short order...alway's great service and again for about $106 a year for all vehicles you own and RV...yeah, it's worth it to go with someone that "I" personally have first hand experience with.

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3
2016 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4/Aisin/4.10 Longhorn, rear air assist suspension
B&W OEM RVK3600 Companion hitch

We are newbies and haven't actually gotten on the road with our own rig yet, but I will say that as long term AAA road assistance customers we have been 100% satisfied with our service. Last year we rented what turned out to be a "hunk-o-junk" 32 foot MH from an independent RV trader and ended up stuck in Ft Independence (AKA middle of nowhere) when the sucker wouldn't up start back up after we filled up gas and propane tanks. It was 98 degrees and we had our cats with us. Ron had just herniated a disk the day before and was in considerable discomfort. Fortunately he had thought to put an RV RIDER on to our policy with AAA roadside service (a quick telephone call to set up and no additional cost). We called the owner of the RV first, and after two hours of failed attempts by him to locate and send a mobile RV service, we called AAA. Even though we were out in the boonies a knowledgeable mechanic showed up and worked on the rig - while getting "input" from the "expert" RV trader. Even after the RV trader gave up the mechanic persevered and finally figured out that the problem was faulty and frayed wiring. He was there at least 2 hours in the heat and gave us several tips on how to get home safely - and AAA picked up the tab (except for the nice cash bonus we gave the mechanic ). We also hate the constant sales pitch and barrage of mail by Good Sam, although only time and experience will determine who we ultimately select as our long term provider. (And fortunately we had our pick up with us with air conditioning for us and the cats).

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Archived