Missouri Hwy 60 or I-70?

whatsnext

just curious but we are wondering if it's better to go across Missouri on Hwy 60 or I-70? We will be coming up from Nashville and heading west to Kansas (Hutchinson).

We recently drove down Hwy 69 and it was horrible so I am now going to ask the question when in doubt! LOL

Thanks

David

Looks like you are contemplating the same routes we are. We will be leaving Chattanooga,and going thru Nashville as well. One section I was curious about on the I-70 route is after you hit I-35 at Kansas City. US 50 from Emporia into Hutch looks to be the best route but I wonder how good the road is. I don't mind going into some small towns but a LOT of these routes were designed before longer trailers came along and don't have a lot of room to make the 90 degree turns required to navigate.

Thanks again from another David....

Don't know about HWY 60 through Missouri but if you don't mind curvy roads it shouldn't be too bad. Hwy 50 in Kansas (like most other Kansas roads) is very good.

Leaving the HDT Rally last year in Hutchinson I took mostly 4 lane secondary roads across Kansas and Missouri. It was quite scenic a bit curvy and a little hilly. I don't remember the hwy names but I did go through Springfield and stop for the night behind the Lambert's Cafe "Home of the Throwed Roll". If you can route your trip through there and Sikeston Missouri you will not go hungry. The RV park is just across the parking lot from the restaurant and has large flat pull through sites for even big rigs like mine. Didn't have to unhook for the night.

Rod

ps. Trey & Susan have used non interstate trips across Missouri, maybe they will comment too.

rl

Have not been on all of US-60 in Missouri and what I have was many years ago. We go through Kansas once or twice a year and rarely use I-70. We have traveled all of US-50 through Kansas and Missouri. It is a good road, however it goes closer to Kansas City and Saint Louis than I prefer. I like to use US-54 after getting East of Wichita to avoid getting so close to Kansas City. US-36 is a good route across Missouri and Kansas if you want to be North of I-70.

I like traveling US-60. Usually take much of it when going between San Diego and central KY. Besides the ice cream stop you can, and should, stop and stand in line, don't worry, this time it is worth it, at Lambert's Restaurant in Sikeston, MO. Where else can you get a plate of hog jowls or chicken gizzards, two delicacies I love.

Glenn

We just traveled US 60 through Missouri from Mountain Home through Cairo, IL. The only bad stretch was after crossing the Ohio River to Wickiffe, KY. When you re-enter US 60 between Wickliffe and I-24 the road is very narrow two lane with out any shoulder, and the road is crowned to pull you toward the swamp or big ditch. We will not go that way again! Be carefull.

Archived