Congress Passes Law Creating ID Card for Veterans

RV_

All you non retired Vets who do not use the VA to have one of their cards, or are not retired, or have base privileges, looks like congress is getting you your own ID card.

Excerpt:

"Congress has approved the creation of a veterans' identification card, making it easier for veterans to prove military service without having to produce a military service record or some other valuable document.

The House had already passed the bill in June and sent it on to the Senate. The Senate also passed the legislation, but a minor clerical amendment required a second House vote, which it took late Tuesday afternoon.

"Today is a good day for our nation's veterans," said bill sponsor Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Florida. "This bill is a prime example of what we can accomplish when we put partisanship aside and the needs of the country first."

Both House votes and the Senate vote were unanimous. The bill now heads to the White House where President Obama is expected to sign it.

Buchanan currently serves on the House Ways and Means Committee, but previously served on the House Veterans Affairs Committee.

Currently, individuals needing to prove military status routinely have to provide a DD-214, a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, to prove their status, said Vietnam-era veteran Donald DiNunzio of Florida.

"I have been asked many times to prove that I am a vet but carrying around my DD-214 form is difficult and impractical," he said. "My DD-214 form is a large 8.5 x 11 carbon copy, delicate, old and quite brittle and thin. Having a permanent veteran ID card would be a much simpler way of proudly proving my veteran status."

A number of states, and even counties, will issue veterans ID cards. Among the states that do so are Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Texas, North Carolina, Virginia and Michigan, which retailers and restaurants will accept when offering veterans' discounts, according to The American Legion.

The bill text references these kinds of benefits to veterans, but also notes its usefulness in proving veteran status "without having to carry and use official Department of Defense form DD–214 discharge papers."

The rest is here: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/07/08/congress-passes-law-creating-id-card-for-veterans.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

This is good news. It's impractical to have to show your DD-214 and as pointed out, who carries it with them anyway? What I found crazy was when I renewed my license in Texas, I had to show my DD-214 in order to get VETERAN displayed on the license. While at the DPS office, I asked if showing my CHL (which also says VETERAN) would be sufficient and the lady told me "no". Rather silly if you ask me.

--
Mike, Sue, Sissy and Little Man
Houston, TX

2015 Ford F350 6.7 PSTD CC DRW
2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Yes, very good news... Last year we checked into one park that did not give an Escapees discount, but they did accept my Escapees veteran status membership card for their veterans discount. A national veterans ID would be much more widely accepted.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Georgia will also add veteran to your drivers license with the right paperwork. Glad to hear about the new ID card. Thank you!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

That's good news for vets. My cousin had his DD214 copied and the copy miniaturized and laminated. It could still be read but the print was really tiny.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

When I retired I moved to Columbus, OH. You could take your DD 214 to the court house and they would file it, make you a miniature copy laminated. This is a good service because if you have your DD 214 at home and it is destroyed, it can be a pain to get another one. This way all you have to do is go to your court house and get a copy.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

When I retired I moved to Columbus, OH. You could take your DD 214 to the court house and they would file it, make you a miniature copy laminated. This is a good service because if you have your DD 214 at home and it is destroyed, it can be a pain to get another one. This way all you have to do is go to your court house and get a copy.

Scan it and save it to your computer or a thumb drive. These days 214s are emailed to retirees. Probably the same for today's non-retiree vets.

I prefer to limit the people who have access to my personal information. Too many examples of records in gubment agencies being mishandled. That is both electronic and hard copy. And if I save the data to an email, I can access it anywhere.

Life is full of risks. Do what your risk tolerance can handle.

Archived