Texas Non-Com Class A Driving Test Requirement

We need to change our Texas operator license to a Texas Non Commercial Class A license due to the GCVWR of our truck and 5th wheel. DW is very competent towing our rig as long as she does not need to back it. I have heard that some of Texas DPS offices due not require backing as part of the driving test. Can any of you who have taken this driving test recently please confirm if backing the rig was actually part of the test and at what location you took the driving test?

"Bloom where you are planted"
2006 F350 6.0 L Diesel, Lariet, Firestone air bags, Reese 20K Hitch
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 32TK3, MorRyde Pin Box, MorRyde I.S., Progressive Ind. EMS
Class of 2013 (12/21/2013)

Backing and parelle parking are part of the test. I had to do both. But some officers don't make you do it. It's their choice, not office specific.

Livingston Texas has been the only consistent office that seems to make you back up for a few feet only.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

When we did the test at Livingston 3 years ago, they had us back up straight for about 30 or 40 feet.

Other stations may require more.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I've never heard of parallel parking being required in Livingston - if anyone knows different please post. They DO routinely make you back up in a straight line. If you cannot do that, then you probably shouldn't be driving the rig. (But that is an editorial comment.)

The biggest difficulty in Livingston is the sharp turns through town. Do it wrong and you will fail. Hit the curb and you will fail, and it is easy to hit the curb IF you do the turns wrong.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

When making the tight right hand turn in downtown Livingston, my wife was caught 1/2 way through the turn due to a traffic back up for the railroad crossing. She sat there basically block two south bound lanes and two west bound lanes until the traffic cleared. The 38' 5er and the crewcab dually took up a lot of room. The testing agent did not have a problem with it as she was executing the turn correctly and did not hit a curb. She commented to my wife that it was apparent that she had been pulling RVs for some time.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We had to parallel park when we took our test in Van Horn (we had been on our way to Livingston, but there were tornados between us and Livingston, so we decided not to travel any farther east).

I had never even backed up the fifth wheel before, so DH took me to an empty lot and taught me how to do it plus practicing how to parallel park. I passed the test, so I figure if I can do it, anyone can! ^_^

I've heard from many people that you don't have to parallel park in Livingston, so unless something has changed just recently, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Backing up may be another matter altogether and it sounds like you will have to do that in Livingston.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

This is good info. If I ever successfully get my fiver registered here in Texas, I have to take the Class A non-CDL driving test. I've already passed the written exam but time is running out for me. I have until the end of July or start the process all over again.

--
Mike, Sue, Sissy and Little Man
Houston, TX

2015 Ford F350 6.7 PSTD CC DRW
2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RSTS

My parallel test was done in a parking lot with no cones. Just a lot of room to maneuver and the big deal is don't hit the curb. Be 24 inches from it and you'll pass.

JC

2015 Continental Coach

In Livingston (4&5 years ago) We took our tests.

I had to do the sharp turns downtown with the Railroad crossing. The following year when Susan took her test in Livingston the same Supervisor took her straight through the downtown light on a different route. They came to an intersection where there was construction and the supervisor was a little flustered, not realizing there would be construction. She instructed Susan do a U-turn (65' total towing with and HDT). Susan handled it with grace and passed. We both had to back in a straight line for some relatively short distance. I did it in a parking lot and Susan did it on a side road.

Someone told me at the time that there is a lot more worry about it than need be. This is good. Worry (one of my weaknesses) is mostly wasted energy. Practice and it should not be a problem. It can always be done again.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

My parallel test was done in a parking lot with no cones. Just a lot of room to maneuver and the big deal is don't hit the curb. Be 24 inches from it and you'll pass.

JC

JC, where did you test and how recently?

2006 DRV Mobile Suites 32TK3, MorRyde Pin Box, MorRyde I.S., Progressive Ind. EMS

We just took the class A non CDL written and road test at Livingston DPS and report the following:

For written you only need to study Chapter 14 of the CDL license manual and answer 14 out of 20 correctly.

For road test you will need to make a hard right turn in town with both roads having 2 lanes each way which will allow you to have plenty of room to turn then you will proceed for about 5 miles to business Rt. 59 and loop around back to the DPS office after making 3 left turns.

No backing up or parallel parking if you have a 5th wheel, only if you have a class A bus.

Road test took 20 minutes.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

I did my test Carrollton. A suburb of Dallas. I guess the test was two years ago this December. I lived near there and was comfortable in the area. It's not for the faint of heart. Tight turns into and out of the parking lot. Biggish parking lot. Lots of cars being tested. The tester walked out and said "oh, you have those funny brakes". Well the test went well. Me and the tester became relative on the test ride. He was more interested in the truck and trailer than anything.

2015 Continental Coach

I would like to thank all of you that have taken the time to respond to our question. All of you have been straight forward, informative, kind and civil with your answers. It is refreshing to have a forum post where everyone has remained focused on the question as it was asked and not tried to read something else into it and head off on another tangent or personal agenda that was not asked for. Hope others find this post as informative and helpful as we have. Thanks again!!

Archived