A question for our Canadian HDT'ers, how about that Calgery Stampede, eh?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Donna and I are now in Canmore Alberta, seeing the sights in and around Banff and Jasper, we are thinking about taking in the Calgery Stampede, tomorrow, Friday. Having never attended such an event and not being a big crowd person will we suffer from sensory over load if we should attend this rodeo?

Any information you can share will be most appreciated, we would like to go, neither of us has ever been to a rodeo and this is supposed to be THE rodeo but I am leery of getting swallowed up in traffic and the crowd. Luckily we are taking this trip in Donna's PT Cruiser, whilst "Semi-Sane", sits at home awaiting its next trip coming up in about 10 days.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

It's not quite the "Biggest Show on Earth", but it is an event. The city pretty much shuts down while it's on. There will be crowds, and over-priced Carnival food. It's up to you to determine your own comfort level with the crowds, the noise and lights, and the prices. I've been, when much younger, but would be a little more hesitant today. I'm cheap.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

It's not quite the "Biggest Show on Earth", but it is an event. The city pretty much shuts down while it's on. There will be crowds, and over-priced Carnival food. It's up to you to determine your own comfort level with the crowds, the noise and lights, and the prices. I've been, when much younger, but would be a little more hesitant today. I'm cheap.

Howdy Darryl,

Thanks for your reply. Cheap you say, "I" sir am the walking talking definition of CHEAP, I drive an old Freightshaker. :lol:

Seriously, I have been a bit shocked by the prices of everything in Canada, things have gone UP a lot since the last time I was here, then again so have the speed limits which is a good thing. Yes we were a bit concerned about what it would cost to go to the rodeo, so far the cost of buying park passes EVERYDAY for the two of us has taken a good bite out of our wallets, oh well first world problems as they say. You folks from the nort must think your in diesel fuel heaven when you go south of the border when it comes to fuel cost, I am so darn old I can remember when diesel fuel cost less then 10 cents a gallon down in Yankee land. Yup, gettin old. ;)

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

FYI this "eh" business was started by an American. No-one I know, Canadian or me, a former Brit, now a Canadian uses it.

Now about the Stampede, absolutely go. Parking for RV's can be at the McMahon Stadium, where Canadian football is played. 1-2 kick as opposed to 1-2-3 kick like yours. I like yours better. There are other RV parks in the area, one is at the Olympic park just heading out of town toward Banff.

Chuckwagon races are exciting to say the least but tickets may be tuff to get.

Rides, and all the things you would see at any County fair in the US but on a massive scale. Like comparing an HDT to a pickup. You will be challenged to get thru in a day.

Had my rig been ready, I would have gone this year.

Parking can be a challenge unless you get there first thing in the am. Best to go the before the crowds and heat.

If not able to go that early, park out of the area and cab it in. There is an Industrial Park close by, Manchester road, Google it, and surrounding roads are a safe and close area to park for the day. They are walkable.

Take a hat and sunscreen and drink fluids or you will dehydrate and get splitting headaches.

Plug in car location to phone or gps location so you can find it.

Go up top of the Calgary Tower if able.

Fort Garry Industries is a big truck repair and parts shop in the area, not that you would be interested or allowed to go.

Let me know if you want more info.

Roger

Howdy Roger,

Thanks for your reply and all the great information. As to the "eh", its the only Canadian joke term I know so hope you didn't take offense, none was meant.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

You don't have to spend a pile of money, just walking around is fun in itself. I will be hitting the NW Washington fair in Lynden in August. The Stamped is a lot bigger, but the NW Fair is still my favourite from 30 yrs ago.

Unfortunately they don't have Tractor pulls anymore so I'm off to the East to catch them for a couple of weeks.

People come from all over the world to attend.

There a free pancake breakfasts everywhere. Churches have them in the parking lot, banks have them out front, businesses in their parking lots. Just drop in, eat for free and carry on.

R

I know Dave, I was razzing you.

My trip south is off for another week or so. I'm going to try to get Geo out fishing this next few days if his GF will cut the strings for a few hrs..

Me again,

Seeing something on TV is nowhere near the same as being there, football, car races and rodeos as well. Just seeing people having a good time and kids having a blast is a picker upper in itself.

Someone commented last year at the NW Wa fair, "14 yr old girls are still walking with their girlfriend the only difference is those girls 30 yrs ago have 14 yr olds. Now they are at the Fair with their gf but have cel phones". If you get my drift. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Maybe we can meet when I star out on "My great quest".

R

Another edit, I forgot, Welcome to Canadia. Yes, I know how it was spelt.

This evening, I can send a route that will put you into the area to park. Location is off the Blackfoot Trail, not far from Shaw GMC, just down the hill to the right or West. It may take some stress of the trip, or your friends may know the general area.

Let me know, I'm out for a few hrs picking up new Fisher Paykel dishwasher drawer to be installed early next week.

You don't have to spend a pile of money, just walking around is fun in itself. I will be hitting the NW Washington fair in Lynden in August. The Stamped is a lot bigger, but the NW Fair is still my favourite from 30 yrs ago.

Unfortunately they don't have Tractor pulls anymore so I'm off to the East to catch them for a couple of weeks.

People come from all over the world to attend.

There a free pancake breakfasts everywhere. Churches have them in the parking lot, banks have them out front, businesses in their parking lots. Just drop in, eat for free and carry on.

R

I know Dave, I was razzing you.

My trip south is off for another week or so. I'm going to try to get Geo out fishing this next few days if his GF will cut the strings for a few hrs..

That may be tricky Roger, furniture arrives from Qatar tomorrow so I have 'projects'. Lol

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Howdy All,

After giving it due consideration, we have decided to skip the stampede this trip, just to much to take in with so little notice we will plan to attend maybe next year when we have time to get our ducks in a row, this was just a spur of the moment thing when we found out it was going whilst here in the area. We may still drive over to Calgery just to get an idea of whats it like and see some more of Canada. Looking on line the ticket situation doesn't look good so rather then get frustrated we'll just enjoy the drive and the scenery. Thanks for all the advise.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived