Motor home and scales in MD

rverdlm

Are you asking about the one at Hyattstown? I just called the responsible dept at MD State police and was told that yes you must pass thru and most likely will be waved thru. I asked the reasoning and was preferred to a gentleman who I have left a msg for. Will be interesting to hear the answer. In 8+ years its the only one we've ever seen!

Is this a new sign?? Certainly didn't see that restriction last Sept

Yes it does.

I lived in WV for several years and traveled MD a lot.

Anything over 10K must stop...and yes if they are in a bad mood they will chase you down..

I think that some of the confusion is that the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) which operates the state's toll roads does state that all vehicles >10,000 lbs are supposed to stop although I've never stopped nor have I ever observed an RV in the MDTA weigh stations.

But most of the MD weigh stations are not on the toll roads and for those I can find no evidence that anything vehicle other than commercials are required to stop. In fact, the AAA has the following information regarding MD on its vehicle weigh stations website: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/weigh-stations/

Maryland

The Department of State Police maintains 7 vehicle weighing and measuring stations, with 1 station on Interstate 95.

The following vehicles must stop: (1) agricultural vehicles over 10,000 lbs.; (2) all commercial vehicles over 10,000 lbs.; (3) commercial buses carrying over 16 passengers; (4) any hazardous material haulers requiring placards.

MD signs say "ALL Vehicles over 5T GVW must enter scales" . I stopped a few times, and finally an Obi-Wan LEO came out and asked me why I stopped. I said the sign says "ALL". He told me I don't need to stop w/ an RV, and I have not since. That was several years ago & I pass scales here on a regular basis.

OK, we'll admit it. We have passed that scale on average 2 times a year since 2007. Never stopped,never even noticed the signage, never been chased down. Will be inyerested in response from the MD state police I have left a msg with!

Just spoke with Mr Fred Phelps of the enforcement division of MD state Police (410-579-5959)

He states that entrance to scale is COMMERCIAL ONLY. RVs are absolutely EXEMPT and should just roll by. When I asked about having signs changed he chuckled. He's been trying but of course signs changes can take years!!!

He told me a story of a new young State Policeman who was very proud of himself for chasing down and ticketing an RV that didn't stop. They made him go back out and find the "offender" and take back the ticket. A simple case if the officer not yet knowing the rules!

I routinely drive by the scales in MD. and have never been "chased down" even though as I went by on 1 occasion a trooper was coming out and chased down a pick up pulling a landscape trailer with a business name on it. I travel by the scales on I 70 about once a week throughout the rv travel months and never seen an RV enter the scales.

I routinely drive by the scales in MD. and have never been "chased down" even though as I went by on 1 occasion a trooper was coming out and chased down a pick up pulling a landscape trailer with a business name on it. I travel by the scales on I 70 about once a week throughout the rv travel months and never seen an RV enter the scales.

That would be because they have no desire to have you go thru the scales as stated in my previous post. Just bad signage

I used to drive by the I-270 scales twice a day for 9 years. Never once did I see an RV in the scales. We have driven our motorhome and our fifth wheel past those very same scales multiple times and never once considered stopping.

Scales are for commercial vehicles only in all of the states I have ever been in. So sit back and relax when you are out and about enjoying your motorhome.

Archived