Broken Turn Signal Stalk Help Needed

adept99

The turn signal stalk on our 2001 VNL 770 broke off in my hand this morning on the way to the liar's club for coffee. I've replaced the turn signal unit on cars years ago, before air bags. Given all the bad press about air bags lately, has anyone actually removed and replaced one and lived to tell the tale? How about the switch / stalk?

Paul

I don't know about a gen1, but I've had the airbag on mine off a couple of times--once when trying to figure out why the air horns didn't work. You should definitely be careful when working with them, but they don't just magically explode either. Disconnect the battery as a precaution, unbolt the airbag assembly, and lift it up a bit to unplug it. Keep your head out of the line of fire, and set it somewhere where it won't fall.

But on a gen2, you don't need to remove the airbag or steering wheel to replace the switch--you just have to take the plastic covers off of the steering column.

The turn signal stalk on our 2001 VNL 770 broke off in my hand this morning on the way to the liar's club for coffee. I've replaced the turn signal unit on cars years ago, before air bags. Given all the bad press about air bags lately, has anyone actually removed and replaced one and lived to tell the tale? How about the switch / stalk?

Paul

I just replaced mine last week, take the covers off the lower column, 3 on top and 3 on bottom, 2 screws hold the turn, dimmer, cruise switch to column, no need to touch the air bag or steering wheel, took me about 30 min to do.

if you need the Volvo part number I bought, 3172173 cost me 225.05 plus tax, mine was a gen 1, 99 vintage 610.

Roger

On a some what related issue. My intermittent wiper quit working, has done it twice now. other settings work fine. Then it Started working for several months and now quit again. Is Replacing the stalk the answer ???? Or has anyone else had this problem???.

JC,

I haven't had that problem, but a couple of things come to mind. First, is it possible you've just set the interval really long? The other would be that the intermittent wipers (but not the other settings) are controlled by the lighting control module. If they don't run at all, I'd check the switch first. I'm not sure if there would be any indication of a fault in the LCM, but you might take a look at the fault diagnostics just in case.

David

"take the covers off the lower column, 3 on top and 3 on bottom, 2 screws hold the turn, dimmer, cruise switch to column, no need to touch the air bag or steering wheel"

Sometimes I just amaze myself with the continuing failure to observe the blatantly obvious. Sure 'nuff, eight screws and the little devil is out and in my hand ready for the trip to volvo land. Now, if I can just find enough pop bottles to cash in...

Thanks for the heads up

Paul

Paul,

Did it break about half way down the stalk? Ours did a couple of years ago, outer 4" swinging by the wires, in the rain, going over Jellico. I took a quick glance at the stalk and decided to try jamming it back together. Heard a gentle "snap" as I pushed, and it hasn't come apart again, yet.

No, ours broke about 1" from the switch. Not much you can do except change the switch. Checked at the junk yard and the part numbers didn't match so had to fork over for a new one. $287 including tax because of a plastic part connected to the real switches (which still work just fine). For that price, I figured it was made out of Unobtainium.

As Dolly Trolly puts it...Drive On

Archived