Bar Harbor, ME to Accord, NY

Dykman

Take US-2 to Gorham, NH and stay for 2 nights and visit Mt. Washington. The 4th day does leave a longish 300 mile drive to Accord though.

No suggestions on where to stay in the Mt Washington area. There are a couple of NF CG's near the mountain. Go to this website for info on CG's: www.forestcamping.com/ Or if you need a RV Park try http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

I just checked my travel log and see we stayed at Dolly Copp NF CG, just a few miles from Mt Washington. It was in 2008 and I don't remember anything about the CG. We did stay there in our 40' Diesel Pusher. Probably should make reservations since this is the summer season.

Ride the cog railway to the top of Mt Washington. We stayed in their parking lot for two nights. The railway had a switch problem and we didn't get to the bottom until after 4 PM. Made no sense to get on the road then. Railway had no problem with us staying a second night. Coal fired train leaves about 8-830 AM. Worth watching as it chugs up the mountain. View from the peak is breathtaking. I know its a short mountain compared to other side of the country but still a spectacular view.

I would help you with better routing to NY but, way too comfortable to go out and get the atlas. Routing from Bar Harbor is south on US 1 to Camden then ME 17 towards Augusta. In Augusta turn left onto ME 9 ,south along the Kennebec River, then turn right on ME 126 and follow out to I 95. Get off at the Gray exit. Turn left on ME 115 and follow to US 302. Turn right on US 302 to Fryeburg then North Conway. Signs are fairly well marked for the Cog Railway which is at the end of a five mile(?) two lane road. Big tour buses go in all the time.

Does that help?

Bill

Archived