Anyone put bigger windows in their "sleeper"

Imurphy907

We are moving from a Class A to a huge 5er. I really love the MDT's due to the crew cab and viability. But reality is they are not going to perform. We have 3 children who are the driving factor in our travel plans. We are trying to show them the country, and allow them to put their hands on our history. Being stuffed in the back of the Class 8 does not seem like it would offer them the views and experience.

If we rebuilt the sleeper to seat them. What would it take to put in larger lower windows so they may be able to see the sights while moving around?

Thank you for your time.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Any place that does custom rv work would be able to put in as large a window configuation as you wish. Logical move for your application which is different than the original.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

A number of our members have done this. I bought my toter with big tinted windows already installed and they are a big improvement for the kids. Just make sure you also add shades or curtains for those "bright sunny" traveling days--even with the tinting it can get HOT. You might want to check the Resource Guide for info on these. I know that there were some previous threads as well, but I can't find them.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

For sure it can be done. You may have to reinforce the window area, depending on where you put them and how large. There are braces/stiffeners on the sides of most trucks and if you cut them out you have to replace the functionality. Not all that hard to do, but something to be aware of.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have this same task on my list; just haven't gotten to it yet

here a link to an article about it in the resource guide: http://www.hhrvresource.com/node/186

more details from the source: http://rjnatter.tripod.com/id2.html

looks very doable and pretty straightforward

I did look at a couple hdt's where people had added sleeper windows; they all looked good and didn't have signs of leaks or issues.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

HERE is an album of adding a back window. Concepts are the same no matter where you add it. On the sides you WILL have to reinforce for any good sized window.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We are moving from a Class A to a huge 5er. I really love the MDT's due to the crew cab and viability. But reality is they are not going to perform. We have 3 children who are the driving factor in our travel plans. We are trying to show them the country, and allow them to put their hands on our history. Being stuffed in the back of the Class 8 does not seem like it would offer them the views and experience.

If we rebuilt the sleeper to seat them. What would it take to put in larger lower windows so they may be able to see the sights while moving around?

Thank you for your time.

You might want to take a look at a Freightliner M2-112 crew cab truck. They use a Detroit DD-13 engine with 450 HP and 1650 lb-ft of torque. It will pull ANYTHING you want to put behind it. They can be equipped with air brakes, air ride cab, air ride seats and can be had in a manual tranny if desired (mine has an Allison 4000 auto). They will come with a backseat setup for 3 people and can be had with a single rear axle or with tandems. Mine is a class 7 that will fit in a 10x10 garage door.

That engine is the same one you get in a full size, class 8 Freightliner Cascadia.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I put Fliner sleeper windows in my 610, turned them 90 degrees. Used them because 1) they were cheap, and 2) they have a nice interior finish panel with them. Check inside bracing to see what fits easily between to avoid major surgery. .

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

You might want to take a look at a Freightliner M2-112 crew cab truck. They use a Detroit DD-13 engine with 450 HP and 1650 lb-ft of torque. It will pull ANYTHING you want to put behind it. They can be equipped with air brakes, air ride cab, air ride seats and can be had in a manual tranny if desired (mine has an Allison 4000 auto). They will come with a backseat setup for 3 people and can be had with a single rear axle or with tandems. Mine is a class 7 that will fit in a 10x10 garage door.

That engine is the same one you get in a full size, class 8 Freightliner Cascadia.

We have looked at the 112. Problem being two fold. The 4 doors are hard to find. When you find them they are quite pricey. We don't have a large purchase budget. But I am a wrench Turner and can transform anything. Willing to buy a cheaper truck. Single it myself build a bed and customize the sleeper. Sounds easier then finding a 112, then finding a crew cab body. And swapping everything out including electronics.

I would prefer a manual. But could learn to put up with a 3 or 2 petal auto.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

How is this for a bigger window? I actually stopped this guy a few years back.

IMAG0327_zpsca821ce0.jpg

IMAG0326_zpsa14778ff.jpg

IMAG0331_zps1df80910.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Kenworth Aerocab B models with 72 and 86 Aerodyne sleepers (T600B, T660B, T800B, W900B, W900L) with the sofabed option have side windows and seat belts for passengers using the sofa in the sofa position. No conversion required. The sofabed option extends back many model years.

http://www.kenworth.com/trucks/t660/

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived