Help Needed Texas Residence Requirements

USAFE9

Need some help here. This is a somewhat a new experience for my wife and I and it's always best to go to the people who know and have experience. These are the questions we have.

1) For State Tax purposes, does Texas accept my address at Escapees as legal residence for Texas?

2) Do we need to have a legal residence with Excapees for a specific period of time before we get our Texas Drivers licenses?

3) For Vehicle and RV regestrations, is my address with Escapees regonized by Texas? Is there a time period of residence required?

I'm looking forward to full retirement in 2016 (age 66) and our plan is to go full time RV Living for at least 3-5 years or longer.

We have checked out several "Resort" type of RV parks and that's not really what we are looking for, although they are nice, but kinda "up tight" if you know what I mean.

Our life style is a little more laid back, without all the Resort type of overkill on rules and do's and dont's. Both of us have experienced over our many years, numerous campground environments, and we prefer a little more less "stuffy" environment and more people oriented. We are looking forward to a great relationship with Escapees and members and recognize we will need advice and guidance as we get into this way of life.

Thank you in advance for any feedback you provide.

Patti, and John

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help so join in as often as you wish. I would encourage you to join the Escapees as we have found it to be more than just a club or a service but much more a family.

1) For State Tax purposes, does Texas accept my address at Escapees as legal residence for Texas?

Yes they do and in fact the Escapee address is legal and acceptable for all purposes. It is unique in the mail service choices in that it is the only one which has been tested all of the way through the courts and upheld, even at the supreme court.

For Tax Billing Information and Auto Registration:
Tax Assessor's Office
416 N. Washington
Livingston, TX. 77351
936-327-6801

2) Do we need to have a legal residence with Excapees for a specific period of time before we get our Texas Drivers licenses?

There is no time requirement. You could establish your address and go to the DMV for your license the very same day.

For Driver's License Information:
Livingston Driver License Office
1735 N. Washington
Livingston, TX. 77351
936-327-6806

3) For Vehicle and RV regestrations, is my address with Escapees regonized by Texas? Is there a time period of residence required?

There is no physical presence time requirement for you to be in Texas for any of the issues that you are asking about. I have listed the contact information for each of the offices and suggest that you feel free to call them as they are very familiar with RV folks moving to TX and are always happy to help you or to just answer your questions. You will find that Livingston, TX is the only place in the world that no business person, professional person, or government official will ever ask you what a fulltimer is or how we live. They all know about it and seek the business of the Escapee members. We make up about 20% of the voting population in Polk County TX so it isn't something new there.

Let me suggest that you will probably find it helpful to download a copy of the free booklet How To Become A Real Texan from the Escapees.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Patti & John, I would add one clarification. As you begin this process, keep in mind that making a clean break from your old state is just as important as setting up your new connections to TX. When domicile problems occasionally arise, its not from the new state, they welcome you with open arms; the problems come from your old state if you haven't severed all ties and actually moved out, when you claim your domicile transfer. Especially if you're coming from an income tax state, if there is any tax challenge the primary factor they will look at, is when did you physically move out of this state; regardless of when you setup a Tx address, license, registration.

Jim

We had the Escapees address years before moving our domicile. It was an non issue for us. DMV did ask us for a letter or something equal for proof of residency. That also was not Polk County though. NC was an issue. It was difficult to break from.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Welcome aboard Chief,

I was stationed at Lackluster in San Antonio on my one year return to CONUS retirement tour when we went fulltime so we already had the plates and just had to change address for voting/plates/registration on renewal. We were the same in preferring the trip to the destination. joining SKPs and having their campgrounds in addition to the Military FamCamps worked out great a lot of the time. The military especially on our Alaska trip.

Safe travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

If you're talking about a personal state income tax, Texas doesn't have one. If you're talking about other taxes, such as that paid when you purchase a new vehicle, see Kirk's answer.

The answers to your other questions are No, Yes, No (See Kirk's answer for more details! :P ).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

WOW, this is all great information. We really appreciate the inputs and advice on getting started.

Your experience will be put to good use. Also, the Escapees Hand book for Texas is a great resource. I saw it listed on the site, but hadn't had time to get to it yet. I will now, this evening.

I see we need to get educated on Vehicle registration taxes so that will be another evening read thru and discussion.

I was told by another RVr that Texas has an annual vehicle inspection. I know the 5th wheel won't need one, but what about the truck and also a motorcycle that we will be taking with us? Since it doesn't make sense for a person who is in Vermont to drive to Texas just to get a vehicle inspected and renew the registration, I'm sure there is a process that doesn't require that. I just don' t know what it is.

Any advice on that will help.

Thank you.

I was told by another RVr that Texas has an annual vehicle inspection. I know the 5th wheel won't need one, but what about the truck and also a motorcycle that we will be taking with us?

Yes, your fifth wheel WILL need an inspection as well as your truck and, I assume the motorcycle (but I'm not sure about the latter). Call the Polk County vehicle registration office to find out about getting stuff registered when you're out of state (I believe the telephone number is in the "How to Become a Real Texan" booklet).

As the previous poster stated, there is no need to return to the state just for an inspection; however, since the law changed earlier this year (?), there is now a form that you must complete that states you're out of state.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I was told by another RVr that Texas has an annual vehicle inspection. I know the 5th wheel won't need one, but what about the truck and also a motorcycle that we will be taking with us? Since it doesn't make sense for a person who is in Vermont to drive to Texas just to get a vehicle inspected and renew the registration, I'm sure there is a process that doesn't require that. I just don' t know what it is.

There is such a process.. Texas has now gone to a single sticker on the windshield that indicates both current registration and also a current vehicle inspection. You will need this for both the truck and the fifth wheel, but you do not need to make a trip to Texas each time registration is due What happens is that you will receive a notification that registration is due for renewal by either mail or by email. When you receive that notification, you first go to the DMV website for downloading forms and get the Vehicle Identification Number Self-certification and fill that out. You may need to print it out, fill out and sign it and then scan a copy for submission to the Polk County when you register via the internet. If you have questions about that process, I suggest that you visit with them about it when you come to Livngston to get your driver's license and initial vehicle registrations. As listed above, the Polk County office for vehicle registration's phone number is 936-327-6801. After using this to register your vehicles you will then need to get an inspection on each withing 3 days of your next return to Texas, per the TX-DMV website.

The Department of Public Safety extends the time within which a certificate of inspection shall be obtained by a resident owner or operator of a Texas-registered vehicle, when the vehicle has no valid inspection certificate. The extension will be granted only on the first occasion of operation in this state during an inspection year and only until the resident owner or operator of the vehicle has arrived at his home, station, or destination in this state and for three days thereafter.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived