What to do for banking services

Joan and I plan to start traveling in the 5ver 9 months out of the year. I'm struggling with what to do for for banking services. We're with a small state bank, with good on line services, but concerned with ATM costs, customer service after normal business hours, etc. I need to move both personal and business. Thought of going the BofA route, but have had bad experiences with customer service in the past. Need online banking, someone to call if needed regardless of the time zone I'm in, a way to deposit checks while traveling and lots of ATM availability throughout the U.S. Need to make a decision soon, we're making the big jump in October.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

We ditched our bank before we hit the road. We originally went with a credit union that was local to the town where our former home was. We have since gone with Alliant Credit Union. Not only are there no fees, they have recently begun refunding ATM fees from machines that are not part of their credit union network. Although I haven't tried it, apparently, there are credit unions around the country, that will accept cash deposits.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Well Fargo is better than Bank of America.

I can't say much about B of A since it has been more than 30 years since I last did any business with them, but I have been very happy with Wells-Fargo for a long time both on the road and off.

I'm wondering why you really need the ATM access as we have found that with our debit card we almost never us an ATM any longer. All of our regular deposit items are done by direct deposit so we have very few to deal with.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We switched from a local bank to Wells Fargo when we went full-time. I wanted a bank with many locations throughout the USA. Happy with Wells Fargo. That said, I later discovered they do not have any banks in Louisiana or Oklahoma. Have to carry extra gambling cash for those states.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

Don't forget you can get cash back at Wal-Marts across the country.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

There's really no need for ATM's today since, with a debit card, you can get cash almost anyplace (although I've not done it, even Lowe's, and perhaps Home Depot, offers cash back with the use of a debit card).

As far as depositing checks, use a bank that has a smartphone app where you can take a picture of the front and back of the check to deposit it online.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Bank of America will give you a Debit card. You can use that at any Walmart to get up to $100 at a time.

Buy something at the RX counter and get $100 cash. Then go through regular check out and get another $100.

$200 cash at one trip. I can't remember what year it was that I last used a ATM.

Also you can get cash at many other Grocery stores, although they usually have smaller amounts you can get.

Some I have used had a 40-$50 limit.

Get one of the many type of BA Visa cards that will give you 3% cash back for gas and 1% for other purchases or other benifits. Pay it every month on line by a transfer from you checking account.

Have a check to deposit? Use the smart phone app and just take picture of check. Deposit done.

I have not needed to use customer service very much over the last 16 years. Usually by phone or on line web site via email.

And always got a answer or the problem taken care of.

Only bad thing is. They don't have good CD rates. I have mine at other banks that pay more.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

We like to keep it simple. We use Fidelity for investments and banking making all our finances easy. We have a debit card and when we need cash we get it at WalMart or grocery stores when shopping. It's been over 8 years since we have used an ATM. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We went with a small bank that has outstanding online services. Liberty National Bank with our "Local" bank in Sioux Falls Sd. We have done wire transfers, loans, deposits by pic, payments by fax- Fax the check and send the hard copy later, we also get refunded on ATM fee's.

Check with your local bank about long distance banking and online business services.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Kept our small bank in VA. In 8+ years its been fine. Cash back at grocery and other stores. The few checks we get are mailed in for deposit but the bank now has an app for that

When we sold our truck we were paid in cash. Opened an account at a credit union in Tucson, deposit money, wire it to accounts it needed to be in. Left $5. End of 12 months we closed it

Don't make it hard.

Also at this bank we can still speak with people we know!!

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Check out Ally Bank. All on line, Higher interest, available 24/7 any where, any time.

Be aware, however, that their CSR's are in India.

When we bought the Class C in my signature, we purchased in Arizona and spent the next 3 months trying to get it registered in Washington State. The major hangup, once we got all the information we needed from the State of Arizona, was the Indian CSR's who couldn't understand what it was that we needed. I finally asked for someone in the U.S. -- once I talked with a U.S.-based CSR, we had our problem solved within 5 minutes and ended up with our license plates the day before our 90-day temporary license expired!

We are now in the process of having a Revocable Living Trust drawn up and I dread trying to deal with Ally Bank in order to get the ownership changed over into the name of the Trust! I'm sure I'll have to request that I talk with someone in the U.S., because I don't imagine that the India-based CSR's will have any idea what I'm talking about!

Because of the trouble we've had with this bank, *I* would never use them for anything else. YMMV.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I have used Ally for the past 10 years. Ally is an online bank. Ally is the only bank I have no complaints. No complaints. I have BoA. Many complaints, mostly about all the fees. I only keep BoA to have an actual physical location across the country. I don't think it is worth it. I am thinking about Wells Fargo, but they seem not much different than BoA. Did I tell you about Ally Bank? Top drawer.

I have used Ally for the past 10 years. Ally is an online bank. Ally is the only bank I have no complaints. No complaints. I have BoA. Many complaints, mostly about all the fees. I only keep BoA to have an actual physical location across the country. I don't think it is worth it. I am thinking about Wells Fargo, but they seem not much different than BoA. Did I tell you about Ally Bank? Top drawer.

Hummmm! In my 16 years of BoA I have never paid them any kind of a FEE.

If you keep a checking account with a good balance and have one direct deposit every month. They are happy to not charge you any FEE.

If you don't do at least ONE of the below then you will be subject to FEE's

No monthly maintenance fee when you meet one of the following requirements each statement cycle: Have at least one qualifying direct deposit of $250 or more each monthly statement cycle. Maintain an average daily balance of $1,500 or more.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Aside from a recent dissatisfaction with an issue that was resolved and was really my fault, I would highly recommend USAA bank. Anyone who has served any amount of time in the armed forces of the USA, Honorably, or has family members like parents and grandparents who served are eligible.

I do all my banking, investing, buying and selling stocks and funds for $8.50/transaction last time I did a stock transaction. We live in Louisiana at this time and the only main building is in Texas. We used them during our overseas assignment for 7 years to Germany from 1992 and since.

We keep a debit, and two rewards cards we use for large purchases, one the designated online card. We prefer checks to cash because we scan deposits in that are available immediately. We give large cash amounts to our Parents here to write a check back to us for, or we just de[posit it and they write us a check we can then scan to the bank, and shred the original.

The debit card acts like a credit card when there is no debit cards accepted per se, and USAA pays back the first 15 dollars of ATM fees.

You can withdraw $600.00 from ATMs, but as I did recently when I bought a new whole house 25kw generator and auto switch, I learned that I can call and change the limits on their side of the ATM transaction. I can use the bank locally inside too.

With cash back at most stores we rarely use ATMs except a few times a month when I buy items from individuals like used TVs Cars, or Computers. Makes the usual distrust of personal checks easily overcome.

We use them for all our insurance as well and in our case, with perfect driving records, we cannot get insurance for our vehicles cheaper anywhere else.

As well, we get financial advisors that are no fee. They work for us because we are essentially the owners. I cannot abide the local banks fees and lack of making us feel valued.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAA

They do not pay the highest rates for savings. (.30% tops today) But I do not use any bank for savings. Instead I prefer Funds for a better rate, one stock, and real estate. I only keep about $10k liquid that way. If you are looking for the top rates for savings instead of great checking and depositing and phone service for members, they may suit. If you do have veterans in your ancestry I would at least give them a call. They are primarily for traveling and scattered active duty. They specialize in mobile customers. I have tried Chase and they were terrible on rates and charges.

Here is a great source to look up banks with no horse in the race. They give USAA about the same as some of the other top rated banks. and tell you the real skinny: http://banktruth.org/bank-reviews/

Safe Banking!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We've had good luck using Chase in the Southwest. ATM in most Walgreens.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

We've been doing business with USAA since 1966. First insurance then added banking. Never had a problem. Love that we can call them to set up a wire transfer when making large purchases. Love the phone photo deposit ability. Love they reimburse ATM fees. Love they gave us no hassles when we traveled overseas. Love that we can monitor our accounts online 24/7. Love that they checked in when I bought an iPad late in the day just before Christmas to be sure it was really me doing the buying. We haven't banked in our home state for many, many years so we didn't have anything to transfer when we went full-time nor when we came off the road. USAA was started by military people so they are comfortable with people who are on the move. I highly recommend them to anyone who has/had a military family member that qualifies them to use this bank.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Please check out credit unions. I can deposit cash or checks as thousands of credit unions across the country and use ATMs at almost every credit union without a fee.

Most important for me with my credit union is online banking. I have almost all bills set up or automatic deduction. The others charge each month against my credit card from my credit union which I pay online. I also check my balance often online, which keeps me out of trouble. I have my RV loan and a line of credit set up for emergencies, so it is all very convenient.

Great input everyone. Thank you so much. The thought of using Walmart for cash needs at time of purchase never crossed by mind. Like the idea of using a credit union. Have a large one locally due to a large millitary base nearby. Have heard many are part of a nationwide network. Will look closer. Thanks again.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Credit Union that is part of the Co-op program is really good. You can do your banking at all affiliated credit unions, including deposits, withdrawals, etc. And use their ATMs for free.

Additionally while we were on the road we made as many purchases on credit cards as possible, and would just pay them off using online payment every month. We kept some cash on hand just in case, and usually got that from Walmarts using our Discover card (they have a cash advance program that doesnt charge interest if paid back in 30 days).

We keep the majority of our money in our small home town bank and have an account at Wells Fargo that we keep about $10k in for daily expenses. minimum is $7500 for free checking. They are everywhere.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

Archived