Smart Phone Just Like Windows Computer

My Note 3 reported no mobile network was available. I was in a part of Kentucky that has areas covered by small private cell systems, and has frequent dead zones. Next town, Lexington, same thing. Took it to Costco where a bored sales agent finally found time to get off his phone. He didn't know why, but did the normal tech support thing: turned it off, removed the battery and chips, cleaned the chip contacts and reassembled. It worked. Just like an MS windows machine: close all windows, power off, and power back up. Seriously doubt if the contacts were the problem.

Did remind me a bit of my Community College teaching days in an Apple II Lab. Every morning had to remove all boards and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser!

I've been told by Verizon reps that for 4G smartphones, removing the SIM card, replacing it and the battery and restarting the phone performs the same function as the old "Dial *228" did. Supposedly it causes the phone to update its roaming information. In your case since you were in an area served by carriers other than Verizon it was important that the phone know which network it should roam on.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We just recently switched to Consumer Cellular from Verizon. Our CC plan is uses the AT&T network and am wondering if AT&T has a system similar to Verizon's (*228) where you update AT&T ?

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

For Samsung phones, the best thing to do is go to Best Buy and find the Samsung representative and they will do such fixes as part of their job. You were lucky to find someone at the Costco booth that would do so much.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We just recently switched to Consumer Cellular from Verizon. Our CC plan is uses the AT&T network and am wondering if AT&T has a system similar to Verizon's (*228) where you update AT&T ?

About every two weeks to a month, turn off your phone and restart it. Just like the Verizon phones with a SIM card. "*228" only works on 3G Verizon phones.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Archived