Magnum Inverter - ME-AGS-N Installation

Hello all,

I am playing with the idea of installing a ME-AGS-N (Automatic Generator Start for Network Versions) and wondered if anyone has experience installing this and would like to share their experience with me.

I have a Magnum Inverter so the ME-AGS-N should interface with it seamlessly but I'm not sure how involved the installation is.

Thoughts?

Phil

I had a dealer install a ME-AGS-N to my MS2000 Inverter/Charger and a ME ARC remote panel. It works like a champ and the ME ARC lets you set all the AGS parameters.

I also wasn't sure how involved the installation would be -- that's why I went to a dealer.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I had a dealer install a ME-AGS-N to my MS2000 Inverter/Charger and a ME ARC remote panel. It works like a champ and the ME ARC lets you set all the AGS parameters.

I also wasn't sure how involved the installation would be -- that's why I went to a dealer.

Thank you for the quick reply and for the feedback. In retrospect, could you have done it yourself? ... and, out of curiosity, what did they charge you for the install?

Phil

Thank you for the quick reply and for the feedback. In retrospect, could you have done it yourself? ... and, out of curiosity, what did they charge you for the install?

Cost about $1K -- $330 for AGS & $660 for labor.

Could I have done it myself? Probably.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

The biggest issue is interfacing to the Genset. The rest is very easy. But if you have a weird wired genset then you are going to have to figure out all the control wires and splice them in, or into a poper terminal block. That can be the challenging part. If you have a standard plugin that works then it will be simple. So the first thing to do in the design stages of a job like this is to look at your control wires.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The biggest issue is interfacing to the Genset. The rest is very easy. But if you have a weird wired genset then you are going to have to figure out all the control wires and splice them in, or into a poper terminal block. That can be the challenging part.

Amen. However, Magnum does supply a number of wiring diagrams.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

The wiring can go easy - as in plug it in and it works - or it can be a nightmare. The issue with the Onan's is that the plugs and wires have changed over the years. But you can always debug what each wire is and get there in the end.

Just look at your specific setup and see where it falls. You can determine all that before tackling the project.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

Thank for the input. I think the thing that is troubling me at this point is that my Magnum Inverter is in the last compartment at the rear of the coach and the generator is in the front. I assume the AGS would go in the compartment with the Inverter??

The Magnum Remote is in one of the front overhead compartments.

I'm not sure how to get the wiring run to hook up all of this stuff.

Am I over thinking this?

Phil

Install is fast. Takes longer to mount the thing and set parameters than to wire it. If I remember right, there are two wires for 12V dc power, two for the genset start contacts, and the RJ25 looking plug in connector to pick up the communication bus for the Magnum system. Then, set the parameters on the remote control panel, then read the directions. Repeat as required.

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

Install is fast. Takes longer to mount the thing and set parameters than to wire it. If I remember right, there are two wires for 12V dc power, two for the genset start contacts, and the RJ25 looking plug in connector to pick up the communication bus for the Magnum system. Then, set the parameters on the remote control panel, then read the directions. Repeat as required.

Thank you for the reply. How about running wires from the front of the coach to the back? How did you do that? And, how about getting the temperature sensor to a good location inside the coach? How did you run yours?

Oh ya, the temp sensor is another plug in RJ25 ish connector. I didn't program it to run the AC when I'm not there, so, I didn't need the temp sensor. My application is a 5th wheel so everything is right there, no end to end wire runs.

You can mount this remote start unit anywhere you want. I would go for a cool dry spot that minimizes lengths of wire runs and the amount of standing on your head you have to do to get things routed. They routed a data line from the Magnum control panel to the inverter unit at the factory.....maybe you can pick up part of that same path for the remote start data.

You wouldn't happen to have the ME-BMK battery monitor module in your system......and mounted up front on the coach? If so, it looks like you can put a T adapter in the data line to the inverter......no need to run another line to the back.

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

Oh ya, the temp sensor is another plug in RJ25 ish connector. I didn't program it to run the AC when I'm not there, so, I didn't need the temp sensor. My application is a 5th wheel so everything is right there, no end to end wire runs.

You can mount this remote start unit anywhere you want. I would go for a cool dry spot that minimizes lengths of wire runs and the amount of standing on your head you have to do to get things routed. They routed a data line from the Magnum control panel to the inverter unit at the factory.....maybe you can pick up part of that same path for the remote start data.

You wouldn't happen to have the ME-BMK battery monitor module in your system......and mounted up front on the coach? If so, it looks like you can put a T adapter in the data line to the inverter......no need to run another line to the back.

" ...ME-BMK battery monitor module" ... I don't know, I don't think so. I have a Magnum Inverter in the last bay of my rig and a Magnum Remote in one of the overheads up front. The genset is on a pull out slide up front.

Archived