Toilet has possible seal problem

What kind of toilet. Most have a ball or flat valve that engages a seal to create a water holding seal so that a measure of water stay in the bowl after flushing.

Obvious the seal is the issue. You don't put stuff on the seal, you fix it. One thing to start is to scrub the bottom of the seal (the surface that engages the ball/flat valve) with a brush/cleaner. The next thing is replace the seal.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

X2. Silicone plumbers grease. Sticky stuff applied with rubber glove or q-tip after a CLR soak.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

I agree with Mark and Scott and in that order. First make sure that the seal is clean. If your toilet has one of the blade type valves, use something to hold the blade open and carefully clean inside of the slot the blade fits into. There is an O-ring in the slot so use care not to damage that seal. Once is it completely clean you can use some silicone grease to coat that seal, making sure you get it down into the slot if blade type. I've not owned the ball type of toilet so have no experience with those but any of them need to be clean and the silicone grease will act as a lubricant that stays in place a long time with the use of water and so it helps to keep the seal flexible and helps it to do it's job.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have the ball type flush valve. (Sealand brand) When the water leaks out we had to clean it by letting white vinegar sit in the bowl for an hour or two to clean the flush ball area. After a couple of years of that we finally had to change the flush valve. I found the instructions on line for doing that and it only took about 45 min. Now no more leak down problems. If you don't have water in the bowl, you'll get bad odors up from the tank below. The water makes a vapor seal to prevent that. I should have just changed the valve earlier rather than messing around for a couple of years. Lesson learned on that one!

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

X2. Silicone plumbers grease. Sticky stuff applied with rubber glove or q-tip after a CLR soak.

Our problems with toilet seals have been substantially reduced after we started periodic soaking with CLR.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We have a Sealand Ball valve. When the natural spring tension closing the valve doesn't make a water seal, then we know it is time to scour the seal.

We are 8 tears on this toilet and do not use any add-on compounds.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

CLR works great on all the water fixtures to keep them flowing and parts turning. The main culprit that causes issues is just plain old hard water. Well water with lots of minerals and calcium are prevalent in older campgrounds and many state and federal parks as well.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The main culprit that causes issues is just plain old hard water. Well water with lots of minerals and calcium are prevalent in older campgrounds and many state and federal parks as well.

Like many others here we now use a water softener when we're at a location where the water is hard. We don't bother with it for short stays, but we use it anytime we're in one place for a while. It's pretty easy to recharge it every couple of weeks with a few pounds of table salt.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thetford makes a product specifically for the toilet bowl seals. You pour it into the bowl and let it sit for as long as possible. When my ball type started to get slow to return I poured some in just before a month of storage. Worked perfectly. I haven't had to use any more for over two years but will look for another bottle if I need it. I don't know if that's what you used but it worked for me.

Rich

Wow! You all are fantastic! Thanks for the good suggestions. We purchased the grease silicon stuff, but before we could clean it & seal it the problem stopped!!! All we did was empty the black tank! I was thinking maybe the tank was swelling because of the heat & it being almost full. With the swelling maybe the seal was affected? After we emptied it all was back to normal. So my new rule is to empty the black by the 3rd day!

THANK YOU EVERYONE! You are very kind to help us in time of need. It is much appreciated!

:)

I would not empty mine on the 3rd day. The tank should be at lest 3/4 full before emptying for best results. We are full timers and just the 2 of us with a 50 gal Black tank. I empty on the 13-14th day.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Mine worked & held water off and on for a year or two. Finally I got tired of all the "temporary" fixes and replaced the seal on the flush valve.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Archived