Voyager has landed

whatsnext

Well, last Friday we finally picked up our truck at GATR in Sauk Rapids, Mn and drove it down to Kilgore, Tx over the weekend. Larry will start on the bed in the next week or so. This will be the final piece of our puzzle and we are excited to see it come together.

It's been a long haul (pun intended) but a lot of fun and we can't wait to get them all on the road (Smart, DRV & Volvo).

A few pictures for those interested.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1OvpDqz5ci54-e_NL2utdPg4nNA&usp=sharing

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Nice unit. You may want to incorporate some or all of the modifications done to my car loading as well as the door latches so you don't have to deal with issues later. He may have already made upgrades. Larry is a pretty savvy guy.

Roger-

In speaking with Larry, it seems that he has made some modifications to the Smart bed but I am curious as to what improvements you've had good luck with. I can use all the information I can get!!

Thanks

David

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

I put 1/4" thick X 3" wide strips of slippery plastic in the ramp storage area, chamfering off both ends, I have pics. In your case the plastic could go full depth. Countersink the bolt heads. Aluminum ramps and metal storage compartmentsarea as Darryl says, grippy.

Shorten down the hinge pin on the ramps. Flat washer on one end and cotterpin closer to the ramp. Narrows down OA width of ramp a couple of inches. Aircraft cable with heat shrink on the dirt end of the ramp to pull them out. 1/4" air hose would work.

Stronger latches on the truck body compartments. Stock ones are too light and bend, door pops open and out go contents. The locknuts get loose then the whole latch is loose against the striker plate. Not a good design. I wanted a different set up but this is what he put in. Maybe it has improved...Hope so.

Send me an e-mail address & I'll send pics.

Don't get me wrong, he makes a good deck.

Am also putting underbody lighting to light up outside the truck to the left and right 3 or 4 ft so when truck jambs trailer up and around a corner . I can see how close the tank fairings are to the ground. Fire trucks have them. When the truck gets back, I can take some pics. They are on the same circuit as the truck deck cargo lite.

Some only drive a couple of hundred miles a day in daylight only....I'd have nightmares about never getting to the destination. From Victoria/Vancouver to Sebring is a whole lot of miles or crossing the continent the hard way as someone said.

I like the front mirrors.

Larry said he was expecting you and had “reserved” Voyager for July. We left Ruby there last week and as soon as yours is built, we’ll follow. You’ve got a great looking truck and it should really pop when you get the bed on with Smart on top and that DRV coming up behind. Good luck with your build . . . . and don’t dally! smiles

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Nice looking truck. I bought my truck from GATR and had Larry build mine too. Have fun with it :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

"Aircraft cable with heat shrink on the dirt end of the ramp to pull them out. 1/4" air hose would work."

If you simply flip the stored ramps over so that the sloped part of the ramp is on the bottom, you will have plenty of grab area to pull the ramps out to set them up. No finger smashing this way and it's really easy.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Nice looking truck. I bought my truck from GATR and had Larry build mine too. Have fun with it :)

Had a great experience with GATR. We are looking forward to the bed build with Larry. Definitely plan to have lots of fun!

Thanks

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Larry said he was expecting you and had “reserved” Voyager for July. We left Ruby there last week and as soon as yours is built, we’ll follow. You’ve got a great looking truck and it should really pop when you get the bed on with Smart on top and that DRV coming up behind. Good luck with your build . . . . and don’t dally! smiles

Thank you. We are excited to get it all put together.

I saw a few items that Larry had waiting for me (air hitch & ramps) so that made it seem a little more real. We hated to leave Voyager behind but it's in good hands and (unfortunately) we still have to work for a few more months. <_<

David

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Archived