has anyone reserved there copy of windows 10?

ganto

I reserved my copy for windows 10. but I don't think that i'll install it until all of the bugs are worked out. I am wondering how many others have reserved there copy of windows 10?? I remember windows 8 being a complete disaster!!

For some if you recently purchased a new device with windows on it you have the option of upgrading for free on that device. I don't know if there is a sign up place for those who want to purchase the program for an older PC.

Rod

I believe Microsoft is trying to get people to sign up for the upgrade so they can spread out the delivery a bit. Can you imagine the server load if 2 billion people try to download Windows 10 on July 29th? To answer, the question, yes I reserved the upgrade on two computers. I have several others that are eligible but will hold off while I test the new OS.

Safe Travels...

I registered for Window 10 on three PCs so far. Windows 8 was not a disaster to me.

when I bought my HELL pc it was a major disaster when it wanted to update the pc would just sit there and restart for 24 hours talk about livid. I know that a lot of business didn't upgrade to 8 because of all of the issues most are still on xp and 7

I thought the upgrade was free for a year for everyone..................Never saw anything about needing to make a reservation.........I plan to wait until it shakes out...

post-47020-0-53091800-1435681968.png you don't have this lovely little icon? it is free to everyone for a year . I just right click on that little icon and clicked get windows 10 and they'll want your e-mail

Ganto,
Your computer wasn't a Samsung by any chance?

Samsung will stop blocking Microsoft software updates 'within a few days'

Excerpt:

"Owners of Samsung PCs will begin receiving automatic software updates from Microsoft again soon, after Samsung said it will end its practice of blocking automatic Windows Updates on its computers.

“We will be issuing a patch through the Samsung Software Update notification process to revert back to the recommended automatic Windows Update settings within a few days,” Samsung said Friday.

It said it was committed to providing “a trustworthy user experience” and that it values its partnership with Microsoft.

It’s a quick turnaround from earlier this week, when researcher Patrick Barker reported on an auspiciously named application called “Disable_Windowsupdate.exe” that runs on Samsung PCs as part of the company’s SW Update service. As its name implies, the program disables automatic updates from Microsoft’s software patching service, and requires people to manually install individual patches if they want to update their PC.

The Samsung program runs whenever a PC with it installed starts up, which means anyone who re-enables automatic updates will have them disabled again when the computer gets rebooted. It didn’t come pre-installed, but users would want to install the SW Update app that installs it so that they can receive driver updates from Samsung."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2941552/samsung-will-stop-blocking-microsoft-software-updates-within-a-few-days.html

Windows 8 was junk but came on my new PC. Win 8.1 was sorta OK until the system started failing updates. After a couple of months, there was finally a fix that sort of work -- there is still one update (52.2 meg) that just will not install.

My laptop installed and worked well with 8.0 and 8.1, including installing updates as needed. I have the Win 10 on reserve for the laptop only at this point.

Ganto,

Your computer wasn't a Samsung by any chance?

Samsung will stop blocking Microsoft software updates 'within a few days'

Excerpt:

"Owners of Samsung PCs will begin receiving automatic software updates from Microsoft again soon, after Samsung said it will end its practice of blocking automatic Windows Updates on its computers.

“We will be issuing a patch through the Samsung Software Update notification process to revert back to the recommended automatic Windows Update settings within a few days,” Samsung said Friday.

It said it was committed to providing “a trustworthy user experience” and that it values its partnership with Microsoft.

It’s a quick turnaround from earlier this week, when researcher Patrick Barker reported on an auspiciously named application called “Disable_Windowsupdate.exe” that runs on Samsung PCs as part of the company’s SW Update service. As its name implies, the program disables automatic updates from Microsoft’s software patching service, and requires people to manually install individual patches if they want to update their PC.

The Samsung program runs whenever a PC with it installed starts up, which means anyone who re-enables automatic updates will have them disabled again when the computer gets rebooted. It didn’t come pre-installed, but users would want to install the SW Update app that installs it so that they can receive driver updates from Samsung."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2941552/samsung-will-stop-blocking-microsoft-software-updates-within-a-few-days.html

nope my pc wasn't a Samsung it's a DELL PC

If you reserve it, it will not ask before downloading. It will download when your turn comes in the queue. You can unreserve it. If you are working with limited bandwidth and do not want to get caught unawares by a large download, I'd suggest you un-reserve it. You can re-reserve it later. You will have a year from release date.

To answer the original question I reserved it for my Dell Desktop, Dell Venue11 Pro tablet, ASUS T200 Tablet, HP Desktop, Lenovo Desktop and Lenovo Lynx Tablet. The last two have been factory restored as they are going to be sold just as soon as they get the Windows 10 update as my test beds. I know that they will be downloaded to all of them but I pick when to install.

I have lots of folks that have misunderstood the upgrade offer.

From my understanding (anyone with recent changes please give a link to corrections)

What I'm sure of as of today.

The one year offer is completely free. It does not expire in one year and turn into an annual subscription like 360 at this time. It is a completely free upgrade and if you wait one year and one day after release and change your mind you will have to pay retail for it in the $125.00 to $250 dollar range if Windows 8/8.1.

When Windows 8 was about to come out they offered Windows 8 Pro, with a free add on of media center, for $14.99 for folks with computers less than six months old, and $39.99 for any one only from the debut in October 2012 through to January 31st 2013. ON February 1st it was full price of the above.

One great thing about this upgrade is that it will also replace your base Windows version. In the past when you upgraded to another version of Windows like Windows 8 to 8.1 and/or Pro, if you ever had to reinstall your system, you would have it revert to factory. With Windows 10, there is a big plus in that you can factory install it back to Windows 10. Big advantage.

Example: I'm selling the slower Lenovo Lynx tablet that came with Windows 8, but was upgraded to 8.1 and all the updates before and since. Because there are so many updates I decided to do them first, as there are some tricks and hardware I have to make them load updates faster. I had to restore it back to Windows 8, then update all of the 8 updates and all the apps, then accept the offer of a free upgrade to 8.1, and then the big updates in the last year.

With Windows 10 I can skip the update to 8, the to 8.1, then to all the updates and 10, and then to all the 10 updates on a restore. With 10 I can just factory restore and get a clean install of 10 or keep my data and reinstall my applications etc. but only have updates to load since 10 came out. It replaces the recovery partition version.

So I suggest anyone that thinks they might want to go back to 7 or eight make a system image in 7, and to be safe, clone the current 8/8.1 image and if you hate Windows 10 then you can go back to where it was before you started.

For example, I made a system image of the Lenovo 8/8.1 tablet and the Lenovo Windows 7 Desktop systems. I factory restored both, and brought them both up to date in their respective systems. So the Windows 8 tablet has 8.1 and all updates and is a local account. I named both owner. That way the buyer/s can choose to go through all the time it takes to factory restore just to get their name on it, when it's easier for them to just get a MS account and logon with it.

If you are still corn-fused here are the FAQs for the upgrade from more than one source:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-upgrade-and-installation-frequently-asked-questions

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-questions/a96f373b-1a01-4b11-ac8c-8dc6d0246a13?auth=1

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/jun/04/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-10-questions-answered

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-questions/a96f373b-1a01-4b11-ac8c-8dc6d0246a13

I liked 8 and 8.1 a lot on my desktops and tablets. I got rid of my laptops and one netbook after my first Windows 8 hybrid tablet/ultrabook, that was full Win 8 not RT, the venerable HPx2 of 2012 proved to be great!

But I have been a power user for decades. I just liked the large Start screen much better than the desktop with the tiny one. I never used the start button as I pinned my most used Apps to the taskbar, and/or had shortcuts to the top ten or so on the desktop. I never missed the "Start" button except when I was new to 8 and had to shut down the computer. It took a bit to learn all the gestures in touch and then on the mouse/KB.

We will see the same numbers of people throwing stones at this release too, they always do. Saw it with Windows for workgroups 3.1, Win 95, then 98, then 98SE, then Millenium, ( which was a cobbled together mess because XP was late) and Vista, then 7, and then 8 and even 8.1.

I do want to pass along that one of the first things some of the really bad malware today does is stop connections to Windows update, malware websites for help and disables your anti malware programs. Every case of inability to download updates to their Windows/Anti Virus/Flash or Java, that I've been handed to fix was malware, or corrupted changed settings or software. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I have not encountered them yet if all else is working and online.

If you are confused about the Windows 10 upgrade please ask or read through all the above.

Safe computing!

• 3 weeks later...

If you reserve it, it will not ask before downloading. It will download when your turn comes in the queue. You can unreserve it. If you are working with limited bandwidth and do not want to get caught unawares by a large download, I'd suggest you un-reserve it. You can re-reserve it later. You will have a year from release date.

I just learned the hard way that the system won't tell you when it's downloading your copy. We were on holiday away from the rig until two days ago and when we returned the CG wifi was having issues so I used my USB cellular modem. That mistake cost me $200 since my WiFiRanger has recorded ~20GB of data downloaded to our two laptops in the past two days. Normally, in the US I have an unlimited Verizon plan, but not in Canada! ;) Live and learn

I suggest that anyone with limited bandwidth unreserve now. I even unreserved mine because I am going to be using cellular possibly if my cable provider won't run my cable to my fiver for the next month starting next Wednesday. We are having a new double wide home delivered and we ordered the concrete pipe tie downs. So after they move our old one out of the way, it will be about 4-6 weeks until we can move in. Thank goodness for having RV experience and an RV.

There is a metered setting for win10 for each router/wifi you use.

Also for users with multiple computers on a router, the initial upgrade is supposed to use a home based peer to peer to do the extra upgrades.

Go to howtogeek.com and look for what you need to know about win10 upgrade.

An aside it sems to me that one could meter your home DSL internet and pick you update time.

• 2 weeks later...

We did, and when it was ready to download I was given an opportunity to schedule the day and time I wanted to proceed with the install. I upgraded 2 laptops this past weekend, one an older windows 7 with an i7 quad core processor and w/4gb ram, the other 8.1 w/AMD A10 processor and 12gb ram. However, after the installs were completed I decided to "back out" or uninstall when I discovered a compatibility problem with a program that my wife and I use regularly. The "back out" or uninstall process was just as easy during which time I read there is a 30 day grace period to uninstall windows 10 after you install. Other than a problem with that particular program my wife and I use, I didn't have any issues with the Windows 10 operating system. We'll probably wait for Windows 10 when we upgrade to newer computers in the future.

Archived