5th Wheel hook-up and driving lessons before ownership

raphaman

Hello all

I have experience with truck back up and trailer hauling however it's been 30 years. I'm 70 years old in good health. I'm wanting to take a driving/trailer refresher course (Maybe 10 hours or so) but I don't own a rig yet. I want to make sure I really want to do the full time RV thing by putting in some driving time before I buy a rig.

Is there any avenue out there that I can use? I plan to go to the Escapees Boot camp in January 2016. I live in Northern California.

Thanks

John Nielsen

Contact the Escapees and ask if there will be an RV driving school at the Boot Camp you plan to attend. Also contact: http://www.rvschool.com/ They have instructors and classes across the US. There is an instructor in Auburn, CA and Portland, OR according to their website. See if they can provide the rig to drive. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Hi Greg

Thanks for the post. I had already checked those options out. They don't provide the rigs. It's probably a liability issue. I'm not sure. I obviously know there will be a fee involved. I just need someone with a truck/5th wheel willing to give lessons.

Maybe someone at RV Boot Camp might take that on?

John

Contact the Escapees and ask if there will be an RV driving school at the Boot Camp you plan to attend. Also contact: http://www.rvschool.com/ They have instructors and classes across the US. There is an instructor in Auburn, CA and Portland, OR according to their website. See if they can provide the rig to drive. Greg

Hi Greg

Thanks for the post. I had already checked those options out. They don't provide the rigs. It's probably a liability issue. I'm not sure. I obviously know there will be a fee involved. I just need someone with a truck/5th wheel willing to give lessons.

Maybe someone at RV Boot Camp might take that on?

John

John, while I sure understand your thinking, I doubt that you will find any RV driving schools which supply the RV for many reasons. Probably the #1 reason is the cost of the school owning a fleet of RVs so that you can learn the appropriate one and if the school moves about the country to follow the RV activities and rallies, the cost to move this equipment would also be prohibitive. While schools such as the one endorsed by most of the major RV clubs are quite costly for lessons, they would cost far more if they were to attempt to supply the RV to train in.Remember that most of the instructors for such courses are part-time and RVers them selves.

What I suggest is that you need to do a test drive of the RVs that you are considering. You may be able to find situations where a truck and fifth wheel are being sold as a pair and so get the opportunity to test drive one.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In the meantime, run through these search results for 5th wheel driving videos. One website is selling them, most are not, they are free for viewing. Anyone can tow a 5er down the highway, parking, backing, and turning are the more difficult parts.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

John, while I sure understand your thinking, I doubt that you will find any RV driving schools which supply the RV for many reasons. Probably the #1 reason is the cost of the school owning a fleet of RVs so that you can learn the appropriate one and if the school moves about the country to follow the RV activities and rallies, the cost to move this equipment would also be prohibitive. While schools such as the one endorsed by most of the major RV clubs are quite costly for lessons, they would cost far more if they were to attempt to supply the RV to train in.Remember that most of the instructors for such courses are part-time and RVers them selves.

What I suggest is that you need to do a test drive of the RVs that you are considering. You may be able to find situations where a truck and fifth wheel are being sold as a pair and so get the opportunity to test drive one.

Thanks...great information

Thanks Greg... the sight was very helpful to me.

• 2 months later...

I am so glad that you want to take driving/trailer refresher course. I would like to suggest you to visit Port Macquarie Driving School for this. They are providing really great offers on refresher courses to the senior citizens.

That may be a good idea, but you do know they are in Australia and the poster in northern California...........

Archived