DRV FullHouse ?

Blessed

Happy Sunday Everyone,

DH and I are still looking for our full-time toy hauler and came across the DRV FullHouse on the web. We walked through a used DRV Mobile Suites at PPL yesterday and liked what we saw.

Questions:

1) If you have a DRV product - do you like the quality? How is the company to work with on warranty issues?

2) How are they to pull and what size truck are you pulling it with?

3) How is the ramp for loading and unloading heavy touring bikes? Will it need to be reinforced?

4) Have not been able to find a spec sheet on these? Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks for all your help.

Check here for more info. We talked to a DRV dealer yesterday and they didn't have much info on the FullHouse either.

If we move to a toy hauler, the DRV is what we'll get.

http://www.kansasrvcenter.com/inventory/477340/New-2016-DRV-Luxury-Suites-Fullhouse-JX450.aspx

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

DRV makes one of the better units. Or a least they did till they got bought out by Thor. So a used one is a good bet. Get an independent appraiser to look over the unit and get any extended warranty you can get.

Good luck

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Be aware that most, if not all, RV manufacturer's do not honor on used RV's (at least the ones that I have researched). The purchase of a after market warranty would be recommended.

We have a DRV and have had no issues in working with them on our warranty items. The quality has been great although I believe that ALL units, regardless of who makes it, will have issues to some degree. The question is how many issues and the severity of those issues.

We pull our 38PS3 with a newer 1Ton Dually (with exhaust brake etc) but would NOT recommend that for a toy hauler. We are pretty well maxed out from a ratings perspective although the truck does a great job. The Fullhouse is a much larger unit (and heavier) and then add the weight of the "toy". I would research the truck specs very carefully - guessing a MDT at minimum (or possibly a F550 - I haven't researched it.) - would seriously consider a HDT (I am still considering changing up).

If you order a unit, be very aware that the brochure weights are the "basic" unit estimates. Anything you add will add weight. Ours came in almost 1800 - 2000 lbs heavier than we expected.

There are many many other considerations and I have just touched on a few items which are very important (and these are just my opinions) but I hope you will find that useful.

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

JC- unfortunatly the FullHouse is a new product for DRV, so no used models are available. Time will tell if Thor changes the build mechanics of the units, but as of now, after talking with 3 DRV dealers, nothing has changed. Fingers crossed.....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Well I'm behind I my DRV info. We looked hard at them back a couple years ago and was really thinking we were going at direction. The the sales manager pissed my wife off and the rest is history as they say. They had. Unit going to Dallas and told them to contact us when it arrived so we could walk through it. No call, no letters nothing. So we moved in to forks.

JC

2015 Continental Coach

DRV units tend to run heavier than others (except for the top end units from Continental, New Horizons or Spacecraft). We pull out 38RSSA with a Freightliner M2-112 and I would think you would need to be in that territory or bigger IF you intend to run in mountainous areas with steep grades as the M2-112 class or any of the class eight trucks will have a Jake brake or equal that will keep everything under control om steep grades.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Happy Sunday Everyone,

DH and I are still looking for our full-time toy hauler and came across the DRV FullHouse on the web. We walked through a used DRV Mobile Suites at PPL yesterday and liked what we saw.

Questions:

1) If you have a DRV product - do you like the quality? How is the company to work with on warranty issues?

... Sitting here in AZ with an outside temp of 110* we are VERY happy with how these are insulated! :D We also have a 38RSSA, and have very few and minor issues to have fixed. Our friend (got their DRV the next day) and camping neighbor has been very happy with DRV warranty! ... They work with a mobile RV service here and had a few things corrected. DRV worked with them and this service no problem!

2) How are they to pull and what size truck are you pulling it with?

... For that size rig!... Class 6 MDT or bigger HDT!... Over 300Hp...

​... I'm happy with our truck choice! ;) But if I upgrade! :unsure: I would get a crew cab, A JAKE brake would be awesome, as would a few more ponies! :lol: (have 300hp) But after this last pull, :lol: I'd really think hard on the HDT!!!

3) How is the ramp for loading and unloading heavy touring bikes? Will it need to be reinforced?

... That might be worth a call to the Mfg. :D

4) Have not been able to find a spec sheet on these? Any suggestions on where to look?

http://drvfullhouse.com

Thanks for all your help.

DblZ%20Combo%201_zpsbzentoer.jpg

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

Our friends had a Mobile Suite and had multiple problems. The kitchen sink fell into the cabinet below, trim fell off, water leaks from the plastic manifold,the water tank wasn't secured and slid breaking pipes and a wheel fell off. The final failure when the Lippert sealed bearing failed and the wheel fell off caused significant damage. We spent most of the winter fixing it and then he traded it. I guess that there are lemons in any brand.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Morning,

Thank you for your responses. DH and I are looking forward to finding the 5th Wheel and beginning our new adventure. We are grateful for your willingness to assist us.

@Alie&Jim – thank you for the link, they are beautiful 5th wheels but the 10’ garage is a concern for DH

@JC and Angie – good advice on the independent appraiser no matter what the brand. we agree – if a salesman treats either of us poorly we are done (too many out there)

@Gene & Lisa – having a warranty is important to us (which is why we are not even considering a specific manufacturer – when I called them the gentleman very rudely told me that they make “recreational vehicles and full-time or extended stay would void the warranty”). I have not been able to find the GVWR or CC for the Fullhouse, we are looking at the F350 Diesel with the 4.30 axle rating. How do you like full-timing? I noticed that you have been doing this for almost a year. Are you touring or more stationary?

@ Glenn West- is Teton still in business? I can only find used units on the internet and the brochures (on the TCI web page) end at 2008.

@jrhaman – thank you for the link, I will be contacting them soon

@GeorgiaHybrid – thanks for info, I definitely need to learn more about the truck portion of this adventure

@Big Z – thank you for your replies. It is good to know that these units can handle the heat of AZ. You would upgrade from your current truck? It is way bigger than what we are contemplating. It looks like you could put a motorcycle on the truck and get by with the 10’ garage.

@Randy Retired – thank you, I am concerned about buying used for that reason (not knowing the history and why they sold) but I know that new units will have issues also.

Hope everyone has a great day.

My suggestion would be to go talk to space craft. They make a lot of "garage models" and are close in price to DRV. Forks and new horizons do as well but more money. Well worth the cash, but I understand budgets ! !

2015 Continental Coach

Teton is no longer in business. They are very heavy units. Most are mdt or hdt towing. That Full House DRV could be heavier. That is all I was stating. Too many beginners buy too little truck.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

And I would also say that an f 550 or equivalent would be wise. F-350 could be a little small for the weight your considering Hauling. And HDT is a good option as well, as you can haul a car or bike on the deck

2015 Continental Coach

Blessed,

One item of note concerning your truck, All but two people that have responded to this thread OWN a MDT or HDT. The other two own a pickup but strongly suggested that you would need a MDT or HDT. I have a F350 dually with the 6.7 and it is not a big enough truck to safely handle a trailer in excess of 20,000 pounds in the mountains. I will get flamed for saying that by the Dodge fans on this board that quote the SAE spec on towing but that spec has ONE requirement for a low speed stop.

If you intend to drive on steep grades, you will start to appreciate what those of us with a bigger truck already know, safety and control is a VERY nice feeling. You sit higher and can see traffic conditions further ahead, have a truck designed to go one million miles or more, have more than enough capacity to pull any toy hauler you will buy and, if air equipped, will more than likely have air ride seats, air ride cab and air ride suspension.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Thanks GeorgiaHybrid and Randy retired.

Looks like more research in my future. :rolleyes: I think I remember, from another thread, that a CDL is not required. I am looking for a short CDL course so I can learn how to tow and back up safely.

Blessed, I believe you need to also look into the living quarters in a toy hauler. I know some people do it and don't have a problem with it. But I also know a lot of people that wish they never went the toy hauler route as the living quarters are so drastically reduced. Even if you can't find the DRV toy hauler go to your nearest RV dealer and check out how much the garage takes out of living quarters of other units. We thought the same way as you and thought that was our route to take. But it didn't happen and personally glad that I didn't.

A lot of pro's and con's on this issue and you will hear from those that say that they do it and wouldn't go any other way. Just make sure before you jump on something, and like you are doing by asking. And another thing I will add is that a dually could haul it, but it would be over weight for sure.

Take your time and good luck on your purchase. May meet on the road some day.

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Just a new poster here, but have been full time for last 3 years. I have a Newmar X-Aire Toy Hauler and its very well constructed and heavier than most. That's how I rate a reliable and durable rig. Check them out and compare...I just posted mine for sale on this website and would rate it above most. I believe Mobile Suites , Excel, Teton Homes, Spacecraft and Continentals are very good units, but much more money for what you get. Remember a new unit is just a dealership trip ahead to fix any minor or major issues. Get ready to use that warranty from anyone.

Mine is a Newmar, which they do not make anymore, but are still around and not bought out by larger companies. My opinion larger company means less quality.

Ask anyone who has experience with Newmar...whenever you call they don't put you off, they just help you with anything. And no they are not paying me to say any of this, I've been there and even out of warranty they help. Might be one of the reasons they never missed a beat during the down turn in economy.

I will be looking for a Newmar motorhome to replace my Toy Hauler because of the great detail these products are constructed.

So, just my two cents...but you weigh the differences. Please ask your questions now before you pull the trigger.

Tom and Marci Gimmarro

2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV

www.roamingfree2010.blogspot.com

Morning,

@Gene & Lisa – having a warranty is important to us (which is why we are not even considering a specific manufacturer – when I called them the gentleman very rudely told me that they make “recreational vehicles and full-time or extended stay would void the warranty”). I have not been able to find the GVWR or CC for the Fullhouse, we are looking at the F350 Diesel with the 4.30 axle rating. How do you like full-timing? I noticed that you have been doing this for almost a year. Are you touring or more stationary?....

Sent you a PM

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

Morning,

Thanks for the replies!. :D

@ jblscooper - we are definitely learning that - compromise is key

@ Dave M - that is the one of the biggest area of discussion - living space vs garage

@ camper_boy - just looked at the posting of your NewMar - very nice :)

@ Gene & Lisa - thank you, will be looking at your reply shortly

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

We are really interested in the DRV fullhouse, but being in southern california, there aren't any around here. We like the DRV as it seems it is made for full time compared to voltage, fuzion, etc. We are planning to trade our F250 for a F450 2015. It has 400hp and the engine exhaust brake. GVWR is 30,000 lbs.

We will probably be getting a Cyclone if it doesn't workout for a DVR.

@ jlous2012 - what toys will you be hauling and why are you getting the F450 vs the F350 with the 4.30 ratio? DH and I are still having the discussion on which would be better. We have test driven the F350 (unloaded) but not the F450, is there much difference in the way they ride? He discovered that you can't get a crew cab F550.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Archived