RJ45 POE Camera Network

bmzero

I'm looking to put together a high picture quality camera system in the truck. I'm leaning toward these cameras.

41Yb0FNKpRL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G7GMEOG/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1STITYLR3EJP5

And, this POE switch.

81EDkEuLPAL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8NAWZ8/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_02_04_t_img_lh?&ie=UTF8

Benefits of this system:

1. Very high picture quality
  2. Easy to add multiple cameras
  3. Hard-wired
  4. Can be easily broadcast over Internet (beneficial when truck is parked or stored)
  5. Videos can be viewed via tablet with compatible mobile app (http://blueirissoftware.com/mobile/)

Drawbacks:

1. Probably going to require the 120V inverter to be running.
  2. Will require another device (ex. Windows PC) to be on the network to process the video and make video available to tablet.
  3. Monitoring system will need to boot and connect to cameras prior to video being available. This might take some time and be a little clumsy.

Has anyone tried this in a HDT?

Do you have any video processing hardware and software recommendations?

http://blueirissoftware.com/ seems to be the leader in the, non-embedded, video processing market.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Here is an example of a hardware solution for video processing. Seems to be popular on Amazon, but it's a pretty safe bet that none of those guys are driving HDT's. :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVI069C/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

61PUbpe23tL._SL1200_.jpg

if you can find a DVR that does POE and the DVR runs from a 12volt brick you can just cut the adapter off and wire it to the 12volts from the truck. the DVR will also power the camera's.

for a monitor , get one that does power from USB and power it from the cigarette lighter to USB adapter.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

if you can find a DVR that does POE and the DVR runs from a 12volt brick you can just cut the adapter off and wire it to the 12volts from the truck. the DVR will also power the camera's.

for a monitor , get one that does power from USB and power it from the cigarette lighter to USB adapter.

I haven't seen a compatible 12V DVR. Part of the issue with that is getting 48V to the cameras from a 12V DVR.

From what I've seen the image quality of the 48V cameras is much higher than that of the 12V, "mobile", cameras. Can anyone else confirm that?

Here's what I ended up buying:

1. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJHI9UM
  2. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H2VSTG2
  3. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATT2
  4. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE - I went with a solid state drive due to the road vibrations

Everything should be here by Wednesday evening, just in time for me to spend a couple of hours setting it up in time to monitor my first pull on the new hitch. Maybe I could broadcast the first hitch pull over the Web, live! That would be cool. Immediate public success or failure. No pressure there.

Here's what I ended up buying:

1. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJHI9UM
  2. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H2VSTG2
  3. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATT2
  4. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE - I went with a solid state drive due to the road vibrations

Everything should be here by Wednesday evening, just in time for me to spend a couple of hours setting it up in time to monitor my first pull on the new hitch. Maybe I could broadcast the first hitch pull over the Web, live! That would be cool. Immediate public success or failure. No pressure there.

UGH. SSD isnt gonna last very long. SSD cells can only be overwritten so many times before they go bad. and with the case of writing to the SSD for video. Using a laptop hard drive can withstand more vibrations than you realize. Desktop hard drives not nearly as much.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem

Oh,Oh....I wanna watch that. Doesn't need to be live but I really want to see a video of it. You may have the video equipment set up with duct tape and velcro to record your first pull but I know you will be using SolidWorks to design a custom rack with temperature controlled cooling fans, shock absorbing mounts and other bells and whistles..........OK, so I am jealous but I still want to see the hitch in action. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Oh,Oh....I wanna watch that. Doesn't need to be live but I really want to see a video of it. You may have the video equipment set up with duct tape and velcro to record your first pull but I know you will be using SolidWorks to design a custom rack with temperature controlled cooling fans, shock absorbing mounts and other bells and whistles..........OK, so I am jealous but I still want to see the hitch in action. Charlie

Oooh. Temperature control. I like the direction you're thinking!

I'll be interested in how this comes out. I've been thinking of revamping some of my video stuff,and this was the direction I was thinking...except I'd retain my conventional cameras on the trailer. At least for now - they are built in and painted.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack, I have most of the piece in now. They're all setup in my office and work flawlessly. The DVR is operated via IR remote or USB mouse. I am working on a little experiment. I bought a 7" Lilliput touchscreen display. The display works off of a standard PC mouse driver. My hopes are that I can plug the monitor's USB output into the USB port on the DVR and get a touchscreen operated DVR system. In theory, based on the product information for both components, it should work. The monitor came in today. I'm going to give it a shot this evening.

The quality of the video is amazing. The cameras are 3 megapixels and the POE system works great, too.

So far, so good.

I was able to get everything staged in the office. The touchscreen does control the DVR as a mouse, but it isn't as usable as I hoped. I will still use the remote to swap cameras.

The video quality and resolution is great.

1916e275-c4cc-412d-b7b3-14683a7f170c-w.j

depending on your skill level with electronics...

what is the input on the TP-link POE switch? if its 48v like i suspect , you can get 12V to 48v step up converters. example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221464798059?item=221464798059&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

NVR looks to have 12v input so your golden there with a bit of wiring.

That NVR can only do 1080p(2.1MP)*8. 3MP might be doable but you won't get 8 channels or frame rate will suffer.

Dahua cameras are considered Grey market in america and firmware can be a bit tough to come by (ping me off list as i have some resources if you need them)

in the US. Q-See is rebranded Dahua with different numbering in the firmware.

Picture Quality is Very good with Dahua/Q-See. earlier firmware on some models has some bizarre bugs. (dont ask how i know but i have a Pile of these cameras)

how many cameras you planning on running? the more you run at 3MP is gonna chew up storage space. might consider turning down the resolution on the ones

you dont need 3MP on. if you plan on running the system when your rolling down the road , having it set to only record motion could be a issue as it will always be

sensing movement.

i run a 6 camera setup running from a Windows box with hardware Raid 1 (mirror) and Blue Iris on the 5er when were stationary. thats a 3MP per camera and it eats

a Pile of storage space before it overwrites the old coverage. so most of mine are turned down to less than 3MP. (done directly on the camera Web server)

Fulltimer Class of 2007

Thanks, Lou10. I'm checking out the voltage converter now. That might be a good way to go. I had planned on just running it off of the AC converter, but I would rather go straight DC if possible. You're right, the POE switch does require 48V.

I went with the Dahua because they're supposed to work better with the motion sensing (with this NVR) than the previous cameras I had listed. Supposedly, Neely's has firmware support for them.

I plan on running 3-6 cameras:

1. One facing forward (record while in motion)
  2. One pointed toward the hitch
  3. One mounted on rear of trailer

The three other angles I'm thinking about are:

1. Left and right side (mounted on fender-mounted mirrors)
  2. Backup camera high up on top of drom box

I would like to avoid running a PC inside of the truck, which is why I chose this NVR.

I only want to record the front facing camera, at least for now. The 500GB SSD will get eaten up pretty quickly, I'm sure.

depending on your skill level with electronics...

what is the input on the TP-link POE switch? if its 48v like i suspect , you can get 12V to 48v step up converters. example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221464798059?item=221464798059&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

Ordered. Thanks again.

Thanks, Lou10. I'm checking out the voltage converter now. That might be a good way to go. I had planned on just running it off of the AC converter, but I would rather go straight DC if possible. You're right, the POE switch does require 48V.

I went with the Dahua because they're supposed to work better with the motion sensing (with this NVR) than the previous cameras I had listed. Supposedly, Neely's has firmware support for them.

I plan on running 3-6 cameras:

1. One facing forward (record while in motion)
  2. One pointed toward the hitch
  3. One mounted on rear of trailer

The three other angles I'm thinking about are:

1. Left and right side (mounted on fender-mounted mirrors)
  2. Backup camera high up on top of drom box

I would like to avoid running a PC inside of the truck, which is why I chose this NVR.

I only want to record the front facing camera, at least for now. The 500GB SSD will get eaten up pretty quickly, I'm sure.

Dahua/Q-See tend to be highly recommended cameras and *I* use them myself. just be VERY careful if you have to update the firmware. one wrong

move and you got a brick on your hands. Recovery is next to impossible though ive recovered one of mine but took about 2 weeks of tinkering until

i finally figured it out.. ive never dealt with nellys.

what are you gonna use for a connector between the truck/5er? and with all the 12v stuff running around , i would use SHIELDED waterproof ethernet for

your run to the back of the 5er.

i spent a bunch of time reading last night about the NVR you have. id DOESNT seem to support TRIM , though i havent pulled the firmware apart to verify.

the reason i went with the computer is the fact i can run a PAIR of hard drives in a mirror. that way one dies , i still have a functioning NVR and the fact

i run BOTH analog cameras and IP cameras at the same time. now with the computers can run from a 12v input , i may have to build one for the truck

myself.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

Would you consider a camera on the driver? This could be valuable evidence that you weren't "driving distracted", checked mirrors regularly, weren't flipping people off, etc.

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the recommendation. I may have to do that.

Lou, I haven't gotten that far yet, regarding the connection to the trailer. My immediate need is to put a camera on my hitch. Anything after that is still up in the air at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's create a hypothetical situation here: you're involved in a crash/incident/whatever. What's your process for archiving your footage for use in court, etc.? Will you carry a stash of replacement drives/flash cards to be able to resume recording new video without jeopardizing your evidence stash? Could you somehow create a duplicate copy to give an officer or crash investigator while not surrendering your only copy?

Let's create a hypothetical situation here: you're involved in a crash/incident/whatever. What's your process for archiving your footage for use in court, etc.? Will you carry a stash of replacement drives/flash cards to be able to resume recording new video without jeopardizing your evidence stash? Could you somehow create a duplicate copy to give an officer or crash investigator while not surrendering your only copy?

since hes using a NVR , its more than likely Linux embedded from what i can tell. its hard to know what storage format the footage itself is gonna be, let alone the partition type....

bigger question since theres a USB port on the box is whether you can export data to a external hard drive that can be shown later as evidence thats in a playable format and partition type

that someone has.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

since hes using a NVR , its more than likely Linux embedded from what i can tell. its hard to know what storage format the footage itself is gonna be, let alone the partition type....

bigger question since theres a USB port on the box is whether you can export data to a external hard drive that can be shown later as evidence thats in a playable format and partition type

that someone has.

Yes, the NVR has an export function. Presumably, I would be able to archive it off onto a large thumb drive if needed.

Lawsuit avoidance isn't high on my priority list at this point, but after I get it all installed, it will definitely be a great asset.

Yes, the NVR has an export function. Presumably, I would be able to archive it off onto a large thumb drive if needed.

Lawsuit avoidance isn't high on my priority list at this point, but after I get it all installed, it will definitely be a great asset.

I'm not thinking lawsuit avoidance. I'm thinking lawsuit defense...perhaps as simple as someone cuts you off in an intersection, and claims you made an illegal lane change. You've got the proof, but the cop needs it to back up his ticket.

Or...you're getting passed by a faster truck, but the cop pulls you over when you were doing 63 in a 65. You've got the proof, and you'd love to be able to ask the officer to take a memory card in as evidence, but you NEED a second copy so you can prepare your case ("yes, your honor, this is the footage showing I was doing 2 under, this is the footage showing the truck that was passing me, here's the footage of the officer pulling me over, and here's the footage of me handing the officer a copy of this footage. He should be able to produce an identical copy that was in police control ever since <insert date here>. If we watch that copy and see the same footage, I think you've got proof that I was stopped improperly...").

bmzero,

have you got the 12v to 48v converter yet? and have you tested it???

I do have it now, but I haven't even open the package. I have been burning the midnight oil trying to get www.followmybuild.com launched. That is taking all of my time right now.

I do have it now, but I haven't even open the package. I have been burning the midnight oil trying to get www.followmybuild.com launched. That is taking all of my time right now.

looking forward to you getting it hooked up to see how it works out. its on my agenda too if it works out for you.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

Archived