Denali Alaska Teklanika Campground Question.

John Parker

We have reservations for Teklanika campground in Denali, Alaska. We will be staying there for a week without leaving. There is no dump, there are pot toilets, and there is some hand pump water. We would like to be able to plan our water usage a little better in advance.

Can anyone tell us if there is a grey water sink for dishwater there? The people answering their phones can't get us an answer.

John and Connie Parker

We were there but I don't recall seeing a sink for washing dishes. How long are you staying there? We spent 5 nights but were 'home' very little. We took the TEK bus out daily. We really didn't use many dishes - a simple breakfast, packed a lunch and grilled for dinner.

Fill up with fresh water and dump tanks at Riley Creek - the front campground. Use paper plates as much as you can. Quite often we'll just wipe out a pot or frying pay with a wet paper towel and reuse it. If necessary, just save up your dishes until you leave. Teklanika is in the wilderness. Just adjust your way of using water. Pretend you're tenting! :) Have fun. We really enjoyed it. We spent 5 nights there and 5 nights at Riley Creek and were busy constantly. We saw 'the mountain' 7 of 10 days and saw every large animal that lives there - some more than once.

With our 40' motorhome, we started the drive early morning as soon as allowed so we could be assured of snagging one of the bigger sites as folks were leaving. You can't reserve a particular site. We got a beauty.

• 7 months later...

There are very few sites for big rigs. We began driving out there as soon as we were able. (They have a set time when you can start out.) We got there right after folks left so had no problem getting a site for our 40'. You could have parked your 44' there but like I said - not many sites so if someone happened to be staying in that site another day, we wouldn't have gotten it but I'm sure we could have squeezed into another site. You just take your chances there but it was well worth it.

Archived