What to buy to tow vehicle with motorhome

Tivoli2244

Hi,

I am having the hardest time trying to decide the best solution. I have a 2011 Honda CR-V. If I go with a 4 wheels down tow package, can you recommend a good one that is easy for older people to use and doesn't require heavy lifting or manipulating? What about a two-wheel dolly? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Ellen

We towed two different Honda CR-V's over our years on the road and always towed on the CR-V wheels. It is much easier to hitch/unhitch than to load/unload from a dolly. I suggest the Aladdin from Blue Ox which is able to tow up to 7,500# and yet it weighs only 23# as it is made from aircraft grade aluminum alloys. You will also need to have a base plate installed and there too I prefer the Blue Ox base plate because you can remove all that shows when you are not towing the car.

There are some other very good systems out there, such as from Roadmaster but we prefer the Blue Ox line.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We started with the dolly and changed to the 4-down as it is much easier to do. I actually fell down pulling our dolly around the campsite to store it. That's when the wife said that was enough of that. If you plan on RV'ing into your later years, you don't want to mess with the dolly. I would say it gets you by but that's about it.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

We started with the dolly and changed to the 4-down as it is much easier to do. I actually fell down pulling our dolly around the campsite to store it. That's when the wife said that was enough of that. If you plan on RV'ing into your later years, you don't want to mess with the dolly. I would say it gets you by but that's about it.

Good advice, if you get in a tight spot on the road like at a fuel stop, a lot easier to just unhitch the car than to unload the dolly and then move everything and re-hitch.

We tow a 2014 CR-V with a ReadyBrute tow bar with integrated surge braking system connecting to a Blue Ox baseplate. The ReadyBrute is an "all terrain" tow bar and can be connected without the vehicles being perfectly in-line or level. As a result, with a fair amount of experience, we can now hook-up in <15 minutes start to finish.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived