Steering Stablizer?

Has anyone put a steering stablizer on the front of their gas class A MH? I was thinking of getting one in case I ever had a blow out. Mine steers OK now but sometimes on unlevel surfaces the MH pulls. How much are they? Is installation expensive? Which is the best? Where can you get it installed by reputable workers? Thanks for any advice you can give.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

I would not drive any motorhome that didn't have one of some type. They come in a wide range of types but most common is the one which looks like a shock absorber, mounted to the tie rod for the front wheels. The Safe-T-Plus is one that I have used and installed and it is pretty easily added and seems to work well. Another product which has good reviews is the Steer Safe but I have no experience with it. The Reflex by Roadmaster also has very good reviews.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk,

Our motorhome suffered a left steer blowout at 65MPH. No steering stabilizer. First couple of seconds were interesting. But I remembered to apply some throttle for stability. Once the coach was stable I steered slowly to the right side and stopped. We had just started onto a long bridge on a two lane road. Fortunatly there was no oncoming traffic. The steering wheel moved with energy until I took real control after recovering from the initial shock. I've been close to a 5"50 firing, the blowout was about that loud. No steering stabilizer. When the tire guy came to replace the tire and wheel, new Alcoa in December :( , he spoke about a similar scenario but the end result was a totaled MH that crossed the ditch and the frontage road and another ditch. He told me that the driver lost control of the steering wheel.

Bottom line is always expect that the worst can happen. Drive with that in mind.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Bottom line is always expect that the worst can happen. Drive with that in mind.

So are you saying that you don't believe that they help? If so, we disagree on that one. I'm not saying that you can't survive a front blown tire without one, but that you will have better control with one. Safety equipment doesn't guarantee to help, it just improves your chances.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Runaway Senior, I had one put on a couple of years ago, after driving my recently acquired Class A Gas Unit from Michigan to Arizona. My main purpose was stabilization in high winds in the Western States, but the blow-out scenario was a strong reason too. Here is my log entry:

Work performed at Camping World, Tucson, AZ. Work performed by Jeff Fisher (see below)

· Safe-T-Plus Steer Assist Bar installed, Camping World, Tucson, AZ, - $753.12, parts, labor, shipping, tax

Hope that helps.
Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

I finally put a Safe-T-Plus on before my trip to Alaska this year and noticed quite a difference with head winds and passing trucks. DW drives as well and feels more comfortable when trucks pass now and barely feels them. I, like others, was concerned with a front-end blow out especially when DW was driving. Would install on any future motorhome. Since we have a home base in a rural area had a hard time finding a competent installer and one who knew what we needed so I called the factory in Atlanta and they sold what I needed and offered a free install at their location when I passed through. jmho.

Jim

Thanks all for the info. I will bite the bullet and get one put on. The first time I feel better letting a professional install it. Thanks again.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

I was told to first purchase a rear tracking arm before you spend the $$ on a front stabilizer system.

Their all expensive but I believe they are necessary.

After a month long trip to California and back with our new MH and fighting the winds I took the MH in

to Rush Ford in Denver (Mid/Hvy duty Ford truck dealer) and had the front tires rotated side to side and

a front end alignment along with the front tires at the correct pressure of 95 lbs. and it steers much

better, but I still plan on adding the other items too.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

The first two mechanical things I will add to our (soon to be acquired) new Motorhome will be a Steer-Safe (or equivalent) and a rear trac bar. I would not even consider not adding them. To me they are safety equipment - anything that improves your handling is worth adding. JMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The new issue of MotorHome magazine contains replies to the editor asking for comments from MH owners who have experienced a tire failure at speed. The majority of replies were from those with a steering stabilizer installed, and stating how the MH stayed straighter. The other replies contained the same line -hard to stay in my lane. Our MH has the "shock-type" steering stabilizer as OEM equipment from Spartan. My main concern is remembering to stay off the brakes.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived