TIRE TREAD

roamr

If the tires are on an RV I'd say look at the tire's manufacturing date and replace them after 5 years. I know of no one who wore them out before they timed out. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

If yu are reading your tire tread in32's of an inch, at what depth should you consider getting new tires?

Are we talking of a travel trailer, a motorhome, a tow truck, or perhaps a car? The federal law says that they must be replaced at 2/32" but as others here have pointed out, age is also an important consideration.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Seems to me and my memory is terrible any more. Fed's say for commercial 2/32" drivers and 4/32" for steers. But for RV application it is 5 years and if you feel comfortable or brave 7 to 8 years your not going to wear them out unless you have other problems. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Replace tires at 4-5-6-7 years because of age? :D:D

Are any of the ones that recommend this. Getting SSA or those still working even planning on having a retirement savings?

Even any tire manufacturers that make their money from selling them. Don't recommend to replace them that often.

Why not just trade RV's every 4-5-6-7 years for a new one if you have that much money to throw away? :lol:

If I would replace tires at 4 years. That would work out at $786.40 a year.

By what it cost me this year to replace 6 Good Year G670's 22.5" tires that are 10 years + old.

For any blow out damage. Carry insurance on the RV that covers any. ;)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Replace tires at 4-5-6-7 years because of age? :D:D

Are any of the ones that recommend this. Getting SSA or those still working even planning on having a retirement savings?

Even any tire manufacturers that make their money from selling them. Don't recommend to replace them that often.

From the Michelin Tire Warranty as printed on their website: "for 7 years from the date of manufacture.

Here is a quote from the Goodyear, G670 tire warranty...

WHEN DOES THE G670 RV
WARRANTY END?
The new tire coverage of this warranty ends when the treadwear indicators become visible or five (5) years from the date of purchase,
whichever occurs first. The only exception is weather cracking, which carries a seven (7) year warranty from the date of purchase or when
the treadwear indicators become visible, whichever occurs first. Without proof of purchase, date of manufacture will be used to determine eligibility.

From the website of Toyo Tires

If a Toyo radial truck tire becomes unserviceable due to an adjustable condition, it will be replaced with the same tire, or at Toyo Tires’ option, with a comparable Toyo truck tire at no charge if tire is:

• Within the first 2/32nds inch of treadwear
  • Used in the service it was designed
  • Within 66 months from the date of manufacture

Those are pretty typical.

Of course you can also carry insurance on your life and health, just in case that blown tire causes more than just some RV body damage!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The OP did not put any parameters on his request. So we don’t know what tire design (s) he is concerned about. The rule of thumb for most tires used on automotive vehicles will have mostly 7-10 year usage recommendations. Those using tires designed for trailer service (ST) are much shorter and down in the 3-5 year usage range.

FastEagle

Everest 363K 38'
Dodge DRW 3500 Turbo Diesel
USN Retired - DOD Retired

From the Michelin Tire Warranty as printed on their website: "for 7 years from the date of manufacture.

Here is a quote from the Goodyear, G670 tire warranty...

From the website of Toyo Tires

Those are pretty typical.

Of course you can also carry insurance on your life and health, just in case that blown tire causes more than just some RV body damage!

Michelin has 0 Warranty on cracks in their tires. See Page 4 on what their warranty doesn't cover.

I have had 2 Michelin zipper blow outs in the past. One rear inside and one right front. Neither one caused any damage too the MH other then a small bend in the wheel rim.

That was took care of with a few blows of a sledgehammer.

For blow outs I did have a Safe-T-Plus on the MH and used Michelin's recommended. Floor the pedal quick after the BANG.

And stayed straight in my lane after the BANG all the way until stopped.

Those 2 blow outs were the only blow outs or flats I have had in over 45 years of owning a RV.

You can bet I will never put another set of Michelin's on any RV I own.

I do have OEM Michelin's on my new toad. And they will be replaced when the ware bars show up. For a different brand.

I do have good Health insurance, Medicare & Supplemental "F" that I have to pay 0 deductible.

I pay out enough $$$ every month on those, that I could buy 6 all new MH tires every 8 months. :o

But after a operation, chemo and radiation treatments 3 years ago. They have paid out more then what I have paid them. ;)

I also have a couple paid off small life insurance polices. But those are not needed as I pre paid already the funeral home for everything.

My monument at my plot only needs the end date put on it. And that was included with it's cost. :)

I still don't understand why some think they need to replace their RV tires before the warranty has expired on them. :wacko:

369070033.jpg

You were lucky, one blog I follow (Greg White) has been in an RV shop in Prescott, AZ the last 6+ weeks getting his MH repaired after a front tire blowout. http://ourrvadventures.com/2015/05/page/14/ Part of the wait was getting lots of parts. How long would it take to get parts for your 1999 MH?

Tires are, to me, the weakest part of an RV so it's worth the cost to minimize RV damage, down time, frustration and risk of our health. I suspect you have seen the truckers video of a MH that passed him and then had a blowout. The one blowout we had was on a tire and RV less than 2 years old. The tires and wheels were upgraded after that. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I suspect you have seen the truckers video of a MH that passed him and then had a blowout.

Yep!! That is probably the reason most MH has tires rated(L) for a max of 75 MPH some trailer ST only 65.

I very seldom run over 60 and 98% of the time in the 55-58 MPH range. I like the 10 + MPG at that speed.

One day I had a 5th pass me that had to be running 75-80 MPH. He got about 1/10 mile ahead of me, and suddenly there was this big shower of fiberglass, dust and parts flying from the trailer.

I had to hit the left lane to miss all the junk in the right lane. He probably didn't have P rated tires on it. :)

That is the only time of my many years RVing of actually seeing a blow out happen on a another vehicle.

When they zip pass me I do still keep a eye out for flying junk.

369070033.jpg

I have a friend that used t always say "whatever blows your skirt up" Bottom line what ever makes you comfortable go for it. One of the problems at least with me is I don't put on many miles on the tires. I had a Tire Engineer tell me that heat build up on running tires of gases keeps the tires serviceable less weather cracking, etc and I don't put on enough miles. Is that true or not I don't know but have had weather cracking start showing up in the 5 to 6 year range but maybe it is because I live in Arizona.

OEM supports the 5 to 7 year range as others have form their own experience. So OP needs to take this information and do what he is comfortable with. I know of people who do little to no maintenance and don't see to have any problems. I and others do a lot of maintenance to the point of almost overkill and have problems. Should I stop doing maintenance; I don't think so. :ph34r:

Biker56 I am happy you are not having tire problems is awesome. I have thousands of miles on Michelin XPS 16" tires with no problem but have with Trailerking, General, Carlisle, Goodyear, etc. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Archived