Waving

GVJeeper

I must have grown up in childish country as rural folks in farm & ranch country still tend to wave a greeting to each other as they pass!

See how long that lasts if you visit Quartzite in January.

:)

Of course it must be taken in context. Just like not saying "hello" to every stranger on a crowed sidewalk in an urban environment.

Yet while hiking a far trail one might stop for conversation when encountering a fellow traveler.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

My Grandfather was a trucker in the 40s - 70s, and I remember him doing that lifted finger gesture every time, even if the oncoming trucker was on a divided highway. As a young boy I asked him how that trucker could see it ? He said, "We all do it every time..."

So put me on a highway and show me a sign.....

I see a lot more waving off the road in parks than on where I return the gesture.

Later,

J

PS If walking or on my bike I generally tip my hat to say howdy even if waved at.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

We wave, mostly.

And mostly people do not wave back.

Whatever.

We do also flash lights to signal to truckers, and they generally really appreciate that. by the same token, we appreciate when they flash to let us know its safe to "slide over"

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

How come RVers don't wave to each other on the road? I had a Jeep and us Jeepers wave at each other all the time...it's kinda nice. When I started RVing I waved and no one waved back. Aren't we one big family?

I was just asking myself this very question last weekend on my way home from campground.

Plus it is harder to keep big rigs in your lane than it is a Jeep so we are a bit more reluctant to let go of the steering wheel when we do see you.

Linda Sand

Evidently you have never driven a heavilly modified Jeep on the highway. :)

I'm surprised at some your responses - when I read them the word "jerk" came to mind. Fortunately enough of you posted meaningful and intelligent ones....thanks to those that did.

Full-timer with my 2 cats FlipperDoodle & Buster

Originally from Northern Calif. (native)

2013 - 35 ft. Rockwood TT

GMC 2500HD Crew Cab

I was just asking myself this very question last weekend on my way home from campground.

Evidently you have never driven a heavilly modified Jeep on the highway. :)

Evidently you have never scratched your balls or picked your nose while driving your heavily modified Jeep down the highway.

And evidently you drive an automatic? REALLY?

Full-timer with my 2 cats FlipperDoodle & Buster

Originally from Northern Calif. (native)

2013 - 35 ft. Rockwood TT

GMC 2500HD Crew Cab

Riding the Harley I always waived, driving the Jeep I always wave, it's sort of nice to not feel expected to waive when driving the MH. I mean I will but after a while the wave thing gets old.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

I wave. It makes me feel good...friendly....happy. If I get a return wave, all the better! But, regardless of whether it's perceived as "childish" or not, it's something I do and will continue to do.

Country folk wave. Or nod. Or both. Some even smile. :)

Really----in the scheme of things, it's a simple gesture of acknowledgement and comeraderie.

It is a bit different waving when walking toward one another and waving at a closing sped of 140MPH across a interstate or turnpike .By the time you can acknowledge the wave you are long gone. It just makes no sense. However if it makes one feel better...wave on.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I wave. It makes me feel good...friendly....happy. If I get a return wave, all the better! But, regardless of whether it's perceived as "childish" or not, it's something I do and will continue to do.

.By the time you can acknowledge the wave you are long gone. It just makes no sense. However if it makes one feel better...wave on.

To me it is the same as my practice of smiling at a stranger. I do both as a greeting to hopefully help them to have a better day and expecting nothing in return. Neither practice costs me anything and yet it could be of value to the person given to. :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived