Waving

GVJeeper

How come RVers don't wave to each other on the road? I had a Jeep and us Jeepers wave at each other all the time...it's kinda nice. When I started RVing I waved and no one waved back. Aren't we one big family?

Full-timer with my 2 cats FlipperDoodle & Buster

Originally from Northern Calif. (native)

2013 - 35 ft. Rockwood TT

GMC 2500HD Crew Cab

Several reasons, I think. Windshield reflections often make it hard to see someone's waving until it is too late to wave back. Plus it is harder to keep big rigs in your lane than it is a Jeep so we are a bit more reluctant to let go of the steering wheel when we do see you. But, when we had a Winnebago View we found most other View owners would wave; something about the camaraderie associated with that size/type rig. I think the RV community in general is too big to feel like we "know" everyone else out there.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Harley riders always give the low down wave at each other :) But it wasn't always that way....

Back in 1961 when I bought my first Harley that was not the case..

Often times I would state a common joke that if you took one hand off the old Harley's to waive you would probably crash cause they wobbled so much...Hahaha...(actually kind of true) :(

Perhaps a similar situation here, as when driving a motor home, or other RV you really need to pay attention to the road, and are not noticing other RV/s on the road....That usually is the case with me now..

JMHO,

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

I havent noticed "RVers" waiving at me but I thought maybe its because I havent had this setup long or they cant tell I'm an RV until its to late. However, I get waves from truckers all the time whether passing head on or one of us overtaking the other. They dont seem to have a problem keeping the rig under control to give a wave :)

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

I don't wave at every RV that goes by ... especially if we're rolling on the expressway. However, if/when I pass somebody heading in the opposite direction a two lane road or in close proximity on surface streets in town - I usually wave. That "usually" become "almost always" if they're driving a large Class A and sitting at a height similar to me.

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Why?????

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

mocroc - ditto, I never have had a problem seeing the other driver or keeping my rig on the road. Besides, you can wave without taking your hand off the wheel and most seem to be able to do it to pick their nose...so why not do it to wave?

Darkhorse - I do the blink-my-lights thing to let trucker know they can pull back in and they seem to appreciate it as they blink their brake lights (saying thank you). Feels good. They also blink to let me know when I can pull back in.

Of course it's not practical to waves to someone on the other side of the freeway...I was meaning on two lane roads and around town.

"Why?" REALLY????

I think I'll start waving...bring some smiles to the road.

GMC 2500HD Crew Cab

I had the same question. As a Ex-Harley guy we always waved and I frequently wondered why there wasn't more waving going on in the RV community. I do occasionally but it is not reciprocated more often than not (and that could be because it catches folks off guard). On the other hand I have had a few wave at me and I was surprised as well.

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

Like Darkhorse, I have truckers waving all the time, in addition to light flashing, and they usually keep their hands on the wheel. Waving to RVs not so much. GVJeeper, even with your pickup you sit down far enough that I wouldn't see you. 99% of motorhome drivers don't even look our way when passing. Even many of the MH drivers sit below our seat level.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

I get a one finger wave quite often, - not sure why.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

We might wave at others who own the same brand of RV (which we have done), but to wave at every single RV that goes by? No, we've never done that unless they wave at us first. However, what I've noticed is that other people usually wait until they're right by you to wave, so by the time you've registered that they've waved and you wave back, they're already out of view and most likely didn't see the return wave.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Right Brue T. If we are each doing 60MPH we are closing at 120MPH.I am not that quick to note if the other guy has waved and wave back or does it not make any difference.

Having driven a truck or two we do blink to let them in and they near always acknowledge.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Wow, I'm glad I don't take the roads you all travel. We have waved at every RV we've seen coming towards us for 19 years.Do they wave back???? Probably, possibly or no but I don't care. It is a polite friendly gesture and I'm going to keep doing it.

Both Dutch & I have no problem taking one hand off the wheel to wave and we've never veered into another lane or off the road. Our eyes are still on the road afterall.

Of course, I wave to everyone I pass when I'm driving or walking in an RV park too but that's just me.

I wish I could find a "have" icon so I could give you a virtual "wave" {NO not a one finger wave} but I don't have great phone signal here and can't spend time searching for one.. Have safe travels out there. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

I drive a jeep, a motorcycle and an RV - PLEASE DON'T WAVE AT ME!

Its very childish.

I must have grown up in childish country as rural folks in farm & ranch country still tend to wave a greeting to each other as they pass!

I get a one finger wave quite often, - not sure why.

You must be waving at Rich........... Perhaps you now know the reason?

I agree that at highway speeds you won't see a return wave but I do see others wave as we approach, at times but I also tend to watch for them probably because I am already waving to the approaching RV. To me a wave of greeting is much like giving a smile to a total stranger was we meet when walking. I was taught that it was the friendly thing to do and a good practice as it could make someone's day. A friendly wave is the same.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I also have always waved to those I meet on the roads - everyone I knew did, my folks did, my grandfather did....just a country friendly thing to do. Several years ago a friend was visiting and I took her for a drive around here in NE Washington. I waved at an on coming truck - he waved back. My friend asked 'who was that' and I replied, 'I don't have any idea'. She couldn't believe I waved ;) but after I explained the friendly custom she agreed it was a nice thing to do, and started to wave also! I'm not going to wave at 65 mph on the interstate, at least most of the time, but most of my life is spent on 2 (or one) lane country roads with a lot of very nice people.

We might wave at others who own the same brand of RV (which we have done), but to wave at every single RV that goes by? No, we've never done that unless they wave at us first. However, what I've noticed is that other people usually wait until they're right by you to wave, so by the time you've registered that they've waved and you wave back, they're already out of view and most likely didn't see the return wave.

Same here. Also us Chevrolet Volt owners might wave and or use the pedestrian horn when we pass each other. Atleast I do.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

I drive a jeep, a motorcycle and an RV - PLEASE DON'T WAVE AT ME!

Its very childish.

I dont always wave at people or expect to be waved at but it is a NICE gesture. I'd definitely rather people be nice than rude so anyone can wave at me if they want to, I wont think them a fool or immature.

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

I think a lot of it stems from when and where you grew up. In small town Midwest everyone waved at each other when they saw them. Sometimes it was a frantic come here wave if someone needed a quick hand. Most times it was a tip of the cap or a nod of the head if a person was too busy with both hands. I always wave at motorcyclists when meeting them. It's a nice way for you to tell if a person is looking at you or at something else. A wave if far from childish, it's a form of greeting. It's childish to avoid a greeting in my opinion.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I also have always waved to those I meet on the roads - everyone I knew did, my folks did, my grandfather did....just a country friendly thing to do. Several years ago a friend was visiting and I took her for a drive around here in NE Washington. I waved at an on coming truck - he waved back. My friend asked 'who was that' and I replied, 'I don't have any idea'. She couldn't believe I waved ;) but after I explained the friendly custom she agreed it was a nice thing to do, and started to wave also! I'm not going to wave at 65 mph on the interstate, at least most of the time, but most of my life is spent on 2 (or one) lane country roads with a lot of very nice people.

I'm waving for sure. I also have lived in a small town where people waved and you didn't know them....very good feeling. For those of you who have taken a snotty attitude about it: I will wave to you, too....for sure!!!!!

GMC 2500HD Crew Cab

Archived