Hayes Brake Controller Power ?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for the folks that have a Hayes brake controller. Where is the best place to get the 12v from ?

Thanks for any info,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I plugged mine into the fuse block for quick easy access since we were in a hurry to get it on the road for the WCR. Figure I will be running lots more through he firewall later and will revisit at that time.

When I did the one for a client, I took the time to source the power from the battery junction block on the firewall with a circuit breaker inline.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I saw on one of Gregg's videos he already has power in the Jackalopee for trailer battery charging so he would bring the power from there to the controller at the same time he was installing the blue wire form the controller to the Jackalopee. Same thing if one needed to get a signal from the brake switch you could pick it up from the brake light wiring there.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

You don't need a brake switch feed to make it work either. It's only to turn on the brake lights when applying trailer brakes via the controller. I skipped this as well since I would be using the hand valve to manually apply the trailer brakes and the applied pressure will activate the brake lights.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I plugged mine into the fuse block for quick easy access since we were in a hurry to get it on the road for the WCR. Figure I will be running lots more through he firewall later and will revisit at that time.

When I did the one for a client, I took the time to source the power from the battery junction block on the firewall with a circuit breaker inline.

I will have to open the hood and see if I can fine a battery junction block on the firewall. Is there any other idea's out there ? Is there any place on the fuse box to tap into ? I would like to keep the fuses as close as possible.

Thanks CrazyCooter for the idea,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived