Onan Diesel Genset

I'm looking at a Truck Conversion RV with an Onan 8 or 12K quiet box generator installed. It has 1186 hours on it, and it's about 4 years old

Couple questions:

Anyone know the overhaul time on something like this?

What would the overhaul cost be, or is it throw away? (wouldn't think so)

Thanks

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

The 8k and 12k both have Kubota engines. Unless it has not been maintained at all, it's nothing for these sets to go 15-20000 hours.

"JOE DIRT"--1994 Volvo WIA64TES VED12, 425HP, SUPER 10, SINGLED, 370 REARS, DOMETIC AUXILLARY A/C, ONAN QD10000 GENNY
2006 Fleetwood Wilderness Advantage AX6 40ft
"I'm not in right now.......I'm out finding myself. If I get back before I return, leave me a message and one of us will get back to you..??"

I'm right 97% of the time.........and nobody cares about the other 4%

Your very welcome.

"JOE DIRT"--1994 Volvo WIA64TES VED12, 425HP, SUPER 10, SINGLED, 370 REARS, DOMETIC AUXILLARY A/C, ONAN QD10000 GENNY
"I'm not in right now.......I'm out finding myself. If I get back before I return, leave me a message and one of us will get back to you..??"

No not throw away at all. I have seen people treat these things terribly maintenance wise and seem to run for ever. I have had some strange stuff happen over the years but are certainly the exception not the rule. The unit will probably outlast you and me put together in years but then I am getting older than dirt.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

My understanding is the engine on the 7.5 and 8kw are the same, they just pull more power of the 8kw. Also, I have this right, some of the Gensets run at 1800 rather than 3600 rpm And there is something around about variable speed....I'm not clear on this but others may know more.

My understanding is the engine on the 7.5 and 8kw are the same, they just pull more power of the 8kw. Also, I have this right, some of the Gensets run at 1800 rather than 3600 rpm And there is something around about variable speed....I'm not clear on this but others may know more.

I believe the 7.5kW Onan is an "inverter generator". Unlike a "regular generator", it doesn't run at constant speed, but, rather, uses an inverter to create 60 Hz AC power from its output regardless of it's actual shaft speed. We have one and you can hear it speeding up and slowing down as the load changes.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I finally got the confirmation, it is a 12.5. Man talk about a standby generator for the house! :-)

On the other hand, the fuel bill won't be cheap! :wacko:

Good for backup house power, unless you have a well. Many well pumps need more than 12.5KW to start, as a friend who installed a 15KW generator learned the hard way.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Good for backup house power, unless you have a well, as a friend who installed a 15KW generator learned the hard way.

Wow, that must be some motor on that pump1

Yeah, it'll run a couple fridges and freezers in the house, we would probably just move into the RV until house power was restored if that occurs. A/C for SWMBO is a priority when I drug her from WA to AL a couple years ago! :lol:

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

I finally got the confirmation, it is a 12.5. Man talk about a standby generator for the house! :-)

On the other hand, the fuel bill won't be cheap! :wacko:

Fuel on that unit is .11 no load, .48 half load and 1.48 full load

C&P

Fuel on that unit is .11 no load, .48 half load and 1.48 full load

I'm presuming those numbers are Gallons per hour?

If so, that's pretty good fuel burn. When I'm running My Roof A/C, my little Yamaha 2400is uses its 1.6 gallons in about 6 hours. Since it would take 6 of those to equal the Onan that's very comparable and even looks like a little better.

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately the Truck Conversion sale turns out to be a scam. but I like them, so the education has not been wasted.

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

Archived