Insurance dilemma!

Altonymous

Hi All,

We are shopping around for RV insurance and have gotten almost identical quotes from two brokers (Farm & City and Millers) and both quoted Allied as the best fit for Insurance. I have yet to figure out any appreciable difference between the two brokers except that Farm & City offers Medical Limits of 10K for $10 premium and Millers offers PIP of $5000 for $13 premium. Does anyone have any experience with either broker (or PIP vs Medical Limits) that could help us break the tie?

Thanks!

***for anyone thats curious, these are the criteria we are currently looking at getting...

Liability - $250,000/$500,000/$100,000

Uninsured Motorist - $250,000/$500,000

Uninsured Motorist PD - $100,000

Comprehensive - $1000 Deductible

Collision - $1000 Deductible

Physical Damage Settlement Options - Agreed

Physical Damage Amount - $150,000

Custom Equipment - $1,000

Personal Effects - $5,000

Roadside Assistance - $2,000

Full Timers Liability - Yes

Glass Coverage - Yes ($100 Deductible)

Awning Replacement Coverage - No

Emergency Vacation Expense - Covered Under Roadside Assistance

(plus either PIP or Medical limits)***

I have used Millers for years, for several RV policies and they have been good to me. But I also hear nothing but good about Farm & City.

As far as Medical vs PIP, that's usually decided by which state you're in, not optional. If your home state is no fault insur based, then PIP is usually required as part of the no fault sys. States that are not no-fault use the Medical coverage instead of PIP. There may be some states where either one is an available option, I just haven't run into any of those.

PS: $5000 Personal Effects seems too low for a fulltimer

Jim

What we've found is that the limit imposed upon Personal Effects on a per item basis make's it fairly useless to us. We don't have a lot of belongs... $5000 would easily cover most everything we own except technology. And the PE maximum of $500 /item makes it pointless to try and cover electronics with it. We'll likely go with a different policy or Scheduled Coverage to cover the electronics.

Why have $100,000 UMPD? You have only $1,000 deductible collision, which is about all you would have out of pocket you would have to pay for your own property damage if hit by an uninsured motorist.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

We looked for one that had easy access to agents Nation wide.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

What we've found is that the limit imposed upon Personal Effects on a per item basis make's it fairly useless to us. We don't have a lot of belongs... $5000 would easily cover most everything we own except technology. And the PE maximum of $500 /item makes it pointless to try and cover electronics with it. We'll likely go with a different policy or Scheduled Coverage to cover the electronics.

With most companies it's pretty inexpensive to get specific article coverage for high value items. For example, that's the coverage we have on my wife's sewing machine.

Furthermore, I'm not sure where you got the $500 limitation on replacement of an item. Our policy states that we would have to provide proof of purchase for any item in excess of $500, but it's not a hard limit as to reimbursement. It's not that we have that many things worth more than that, but for those we do have receipts.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I would ALSO check out Blue Sky Insurance. I have had them for a couple of years. I have had no casualty, but those on the forum that HAVE have assured me that they paid promptly without hassle. There have been some grumbles about the price going up, but hey, everything else is too.

Just a thought. It is hard to get too many quotes.

Be Blessed!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Archived