New tires being researched

Ray,IN

My tire size is 275/70R22.5, LR H. I'm currently leaning towards these HDT tires: Sailun 275/70R22.5 LR H from Simpletire.com Compared to Michelin, Goodyear and other major brands, the price is very very low, $219 ea.

I ran Sailun 235/85R16, LR G on my 5er for several years with great results. Hoping for the same with these.

Any comments or recommendations?

UPDATE: I just now noticed SimpleTire says they are approved for steer or trailer application, but don't mention drive position. The Sailun website does say this is an "all-position" tire.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Sounds awful cheap to me. Where are they made?

Made in China, and now sold world-wide, Sailun tires are quite common on HDT's in Canada. They are found on semi's in the U.S. more all the time, as they become known. I know my experiences with them on our last 5er were great, but I'm looking for users with MH's advice and recommendations.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Warranty sounds great. Better then any I have seen.

Sailun hereby warrants that every new Sailun Radial Truck tire is free from defects in workmanship and material for the life of the original tread of the new tire less 2/32”.

The life of the original usable tread ends when the tire has worn down with only 2/32” remaining.

Once the tread is worn down to the top of the built-in “wear indicators” in the tread grooves molded at 2/32”, the tire is considered fully worn out regardless of its age or mileage

Until The following is not covered by the Limited Warranty:

Tires that are improperly repaired including, but not limited to; sidewall modification by addition or removal of material, tubeless tires into which anything other than air has been introduced including foam, dry or liquid balancers and sealants.

I like to use Equal for balancing in my tires. And can't be used to keep warranty. :(

And for any adjustment on warranty they must be taken to a Sailun dealer. On their web site the only dealers listed are in CANADA :rolleyes:

The 275/70/22.5 has a diameter of 37.9 and a G670 Goodyear 37.6

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I would never knowingly put a Chinese tire on a vehicle of any kind. I had a very bad experience with some on a 5vr that I owned. Sure you may save 3 or 4 thousand dollars, for a Class A or about the same as a cheap coffin.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

I would never knowingly put a Chinese tire on a vehicle of any kind. I had a very bad experience with some on a 5vr that I owned. Sure you may save 3 or 4 thousand dollars, for a Class A or about the same as a cheap coffin.

He won't be saving that much. Really don't know what it will cost him for mounting & balance of those tires. Or even what the DOT dates will be.

I bought 6 Good Year G670's 275/70/22.5 this summer for $3185 out the door mounted, balanced and tax.

So his savings will be under $1,800 not 3-4K :)

They are a lot of coffins for sell from $350 to $1,000 :D And some of them don't look that cheap.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

When I bought MY new tires for my MH a few years ago, I studied all the brands, listened to all of the stories, and made the decision to buy the absolute best tires I could find.

I have seen pics of MH s that have had blow-outs and the damage is tremendous.

I bought Michelin. They cost me $ 3,400 in 2013.

I had thought about other brands a lot, but my intent is to NEVER have a tire problem, so I check the pressure before I move it, monitor it, and hope the day never comes when I have a problem.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Know your wheel position weights before you buy to confirm the loads can be properly carried by the tires. Next, get a tire chart for that tire to determine the proper inflation to carry the load. Then check the inflation pressure every driving day.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Know your wheel position weights before you buy to confirm the loads can be properly carried by the tires. Next, get a tire chart for that tire to determine the proper inflation to carry the load. Then check the inflation pressure every driving day.

Those load/inflation charts are IMO completely misunderstood. They show the MINIMUM inflation for the load, not the optimum. The RMA=Rubber Manufacturers Association, of which every major tire manufacturer is a member, says this on page 55:

"Inflation pressure recommendations may also be
determined based on the tire manufacturer's
specifications, which define the amount of inflation
pressure necessary to carry a given load. These
inflation pressures may differ from those found on
the vehicle tire placard or certification label.
However, never use inflation pressure lower than
specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification
label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation
pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on

the tire sidewall".

Addressing the other replies:

As to Sailun dealers in the U.S.A., Most Cooper tire dealers are also Sailun dealers. The Sailun brand is marketed and distributed by TBC Wholesale in the U.S.A. and Mexico

About Sailun Tire company.

I had such good results from the Sailun tires I put on our 15,500# 5er, I am seriously considering them for our MH. They are required to meet USDOT tire standards, just like all other tires sold in the U.S.A. One of the reasons they are lower priced is, they have less tread depth (19/32) than some other tires (22/32 is normal), which is not a concern for MH owners.

Every major tire manufacturer has a production plant in China.

I don't know which brand we'll buy, as many have said, research -research -research; that's what I'm doing. I see several HDT's with Sailun steer tires as I walk through truck stops. If they were not safe to run I'm sure drivers would be complaining.

• 3 weeks later...

He won't be saving that much. Really don't know what it will cost him for mounting & balance of those tires. Or even what the DOT dates will be.

I bought 6 Good Year G670's 275/70/22.5 this summer for $3185 out the door mounted, balanced and tax.

So his savings will be under $1,800 not 3-4K :)

They are a lot of coffins for sell from $350 to $1,000 :D And some of them don't look that cheap.

I got a firm quote from a local tire shop, 6 Sailun 275/70R22.5, LR H = $2.200 mounted, balanced and state taxes. They will order 6 with mfgr. date within 4 months.

How about using the FMCA tire discount program?

According to the FMCA website the discount program may not be the best price, It urges people to shop around before using the fleet program, and only applies to Michelin tires.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be discouraged by this opinion. The FMCA program can save $100+/tire and is now available on BF Goodrich tires. Good luck.

Jack h

Good to know, thanks Jack. I've ran B.F. Goodrich on my dually since the OEM tires were replaced. I figured if they are good enough to satisfy the UPS bean-counters they are good enough for my truck too. That may be my choice.

Archived