fifth vs. mh

Hitching and unhitching a fither, at least ours, is simple and fast. Never had a toad so can't contribute on that. We considered MH in the beginning. Sat in one for a while and hated the feel of it. Steering wheel, instrument panel, pedals, etc. just wasn't a home. It is a vehicle. This is the way we both felt and went 5ther and never regretted it. DW has her car and follows me. Would be same with a MH since I would have to have transportation also.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing about a motorhome is if you prefer the scenic view out of your windows in the living area of the RV, you have two choices with the motorhome. You can back in and have the view out the front of the camping site or you can drive straight in and have the view out the back of the camping site. With very few exceptions you can only back in the 5'er and the view is out the back windows, even if that is a row of bushes and a wonderful scenic view is out the front part of the campsite.

Not a big deal to some. However we travel a lot and try to take advantage of the off season areas where the temps may be cooler or even cold. It is nice to be able to sit inside on cold mornings admiring the view with a cup of coffee or during breakfast. It is really great the few times we have had snow of 3-5" to totally change the view. Usually the snow is gone by afternoon or the next day.

Yes, I have had to use my 30amp or 50amp extension cord to reach the power plug, which is on the wrong side when driving the motorhome into the campsite. I would mention the sewer, but we seldom park in a site with sewer hookups. Also water doesn't really matter. We travel with full fresh water and live on our water tank for 5 nights 6 days w/o conservation and quite a bit longer if we conserve water usage. Gray & black tanks are not a problem, we always need more fresh water way before we need to dump.

Having had a TT, 5'er & motorhomes, and agree with most of the earlier stated advantages of both the MH's & 5'ers.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I have never unhitched a 5th wheel. I'm short and not strong. I doubt very much I could unhitch a 5th wheel. But I could sit down to unhitch our toad if I had to do so. Mostly I just did it quickly enough that I didn't have to sit.

All you guys who think everything is easy for every one ought to try doing some things from a shorter perspective sometime. My RVing pet peeve is microwaves installed too high to unload hot food safely.

Linda Sand

Linda,

My Significant Harassment is 5'1" tall. She loved driving the 1 ton Dodge Diesel dually. This was when we started full timing and it was a giant looking first Dodge Ram body style which intimidated me and her for about a day or two, like any new vehicle, car, truck, motorcycle, or boat. By a week into driving it I was as comfortable as I was in our then VW Eurovan. She always got a kick out of the "Good ol boys" shocked that she drove it. Some of the ladies worse.

It was mentioned but there are no NHTSA regulation of RV cabin construction except for passenger buses and school busses. That goes for Travel trailers, fifth wheels, and MHs. There is a reason we have all the all steel safety cages, engineered collapsing bumper/fender/front end structures in our regulated passenger cars and trucks. In an RV head on, roll over, they explode/completely collapse. I prefer to be in my truck in any kind of accident. They're engineered to keep me from flying out, as well as my precious cargo, and staying as intact as possible.

Look at what happens to an RV cabin in a rollover or other major accident:

http://www.independentmail.com/news/local-news/motor-home-accident-abbeville-highway#section_header

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7747068

http://www.mountainhomenews.com/story/1214661.html

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=RV+accident&view=detail&id=14EB5A191C6FD6DE1A705B544957FDE7741DAC9D&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Rv+Accident+Pictures&view=detail&id=BA9D9D02C1D04775BD367DB9E47448ED7C4AE8FA&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

http://www.blackmanlegal.com/2011/taft-accident-lawyers-drunk-motorhome-driver-i-hwy-19-pileup/

I prefer to not be inside an RV of any type in an accident. The cabinets are ripped off the walls and flying projectiles are everywhere, not just the appliances on counters not screwed into the wood framing, but the cabinets and furniture are torn loose. That does not happen in a steel caged passenger truck or car.

Any accident can be serious in a truck or motorhome. But the truck doesn't disintegrate just from rolling over once and eject the occupants.

The same sort of demolition happens in a rollover accident in my fiver, but I am not in it. Nor walking around my truck cabin unbelted.

We are all adults here, and it is our right to chose whatever vehicle we want. And regardless of the law it is still our choice to unbuckle and move around a moving vehicle, and eat the ticket if caught.

But for someone asking for pros and cons, the results are indisputable when we bother to investigate what happens in an RV crash. They tend to look like a direct hit by a tornado.

The way all RVs are built, all of them, (save all steel safety caged commercial passenger buses,) including trailers, come apart in a heavy collision or roll over. We buckle up in our little cars and trucks that maneuver in an emergency much better than a motorhome or a truck towing a trailer. Why is it considered different for motorhomes by some? I won't ride inside any RV underway. The flimsiness in a wreck are accepted and folks actually get angry when confronted with facts they don't like. That doesn't change the facts. Knowing the facts makes for informed decisions. We all take a calculated risk getting out of bed in the morning.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We like the cab of our Super C. We've lived in it four 4 years traveling our country. Guess we're not fulltiming right because we don't have a DP or a fifth wheel. Don't like the big front window, we can see fine while driving. The big front window lets in too much heat and cold so it would be covered most of the time anyway. Our Super C came with a 10k lb. hitch not the usual 5k lb. also. I needed something to pull a race car trailer and give us a place to stay at the track when I bought it. My preferences.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

We're new to the RV game - and are expecting to find ourselves fulltimers (or close to it) once we retire next year.

We opted to go the motorhome (2012 HR Endeaver 43' DFT) and toad (2012 Jeep Liberty) route - for several reasons. First and foremost - we liked how "solid" the motor home chassis feels underneath us as compared to virtually any of the 5'ers we looked at. Second, it seemed like many of the motor home house systems are more "industrial strength" than most of the 5'ers we looked at. Lastly, we're betting that even though we plan to move regularly - it's far more likely that we'll put more miles on the toad over the course of the year (sightseeing jaunts, day trips, errands, etc) than we will on the coach.

Our rationale was that by minimizing wear and tear on the BIG ticket item (the coach) we'll get a longer service life from it - and come out further ahead than we would purchasing a pickup truck large enough to safely tow a large 5'er with comparable living space AND driving the wheels off of it using it for sightseeing, day trips and errands as well.

It's way too early to tell exactly how that's going to work out in the end ... but it's the rationale behind the choices we've made so far.

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

RV: You posted links to motorhome accidents. We have driven by two truck/trailers accidents where we later learned that the occupants were killed. One had just happened on a straight two-lane highway. We were driving a fair distance away but saw the things flying in the air. Both the 5th wheel and truck turned over. Both were heavily damaged.

I quickly Googled for a 5th wheel accident. I'm sure if I dug in more I could find other accounts.

How many plain truck accidents occur without even pulling a trailer? People are killed in trucks all the time and yes, they do turn over. No vehicle on the highway is safe. I would bet there are a lot more single vehicle accidents than those pulling trailers or a motorhome. RV drivers tend to not drive fast as a whole with some variances so you're not going to find more RV fatalities.

All we can do as a whole community is to watch our speed and constantly check tires and replaced BEFORE they look worn. Go by age, not wear. We can't control the other guy heading for us. Truck or motorhome, someone is likely to be killed.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/deadly-crash-snarls-i-5-traffic/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I too find unhitching a toad far quicker and easier than unhitching a fifth wheel. I would even venture to say that I could unhitch my toad, back the MH into a site and park the toad before you ever got your fifth wheel into its site. Been there.

Your kidding, right? It takes less than two minutes for Danielle and me to push down the front jacks, unhook the trailer, and pull out. As I'm pulling out she pushes the leveling button and the coach is leveled by the time I get out of the truck. I then tuck the airlines into the hitch head along with the two umbilical cords (one is for video), and we are done.

There are merits to each type of RV. But a PROPERLY set up 5th and truck, with a proper hitch on it (mine is an ET) is just as fast or faster to unhitch that a car on a MH. I know because I towed a Jeep for 8 years, with the best towing equipment and properly maintained. It ALWAYS took longer to hook/unhook the Jeep than the trailer - assuming you count putting the tow gear in its stowed position and location.

My advice is to buy what works for you, and make sure you get good equipment in good working order.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

RV: You posted links to motorhome accidents. We have driven by two truck/trailers accidents where we later learned that the occupants were killed. One had just happened on a straight two-lane highway. We were driving a fair distance away but saw the things flying in the air. Both the 5th wheel and truck turned over. Both were heavily damaged.

2g,

I said all types of RVs have accidents. But unless you buy a steel framed bus with the steel passenger frames above the chassis to the roof and over at least in the driver seat, then your seatbelts are fastened to wood? Aluminum? All trucks have engineered above chassis passenger compartments. Only OTR commercial buses have those. The slab sided motorhomes have less protection from ejection than the Trucks and cars do. That was not the point. In any RV accident that is serious all the stuff inside comes off the walls. There is none of that in the truck.

I was pointing out that while you can have fatal accidents heaven forbid, that when the RV superstructure comes apart in a slab side MH or Fiver or Trailer, I don't want to be inside it. Did you read the captions? In one that overturned and was literally a pile of sticks in the ditch embankment, the folks in the MH by some miracle lived.

I quickly Googled for a 5th wheel accident. I'm sure if I dug in more I could find other accounts.

The point wasn't that they come apart in an accident, but that the passengers are either in it in a MH, or in a cage in a truck. Here is a good example of a TRavel trailer turning over that was caught on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=kwOqARlw1EI This one the truck did not turn over but imagine what tore off the walls inside the trailer.

How many plain truck accidents occur without even pulling a trailer? People are killed in trucks all the time and yes, they do turn over. No vehicle on the highway is safe. I would bet there are a lot more single vehicle accidents than those pulling trailers or a motorhome. RV drivers tend to not drive fast as a whole with some variances so you're not going to find more RV fatalities.

What are you defending here? That the superstructure of slab sided RVs isn't more dangerous to be in in an accident than a safety engineered truck? Or that in truck turn overs the truck above the chassis explodes like a fiver trailer, travel trailer, or motor Home does?

All we can do as a whole community is to watch our speed and constantly check tires and replaced BEFORE they look worn. Go by age, not wear. We can't control the other guy heading for us. Truck or motorhome, someone is likely to be killed.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/deadly-crash-snarls-i-5-traffic/

I made the same observation above but you are ignoring the second sentence from my post above, I wrote:

Any accident can be serious in a truck or motorhome. But the truck doesn't disintegrate just from rolling over once and eject the occupants.

The same sort of demolition happens in a rollover accident in my fiver, but I am not in it. Nor walking around my truck cabin unbelted.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Well, I got the final word from the DW after climbing in and about MH from $200-$500,000. Two things she found unacceptable. One was the lack of enough kitchen cabinets (pantry) compared to most 5ers and the second was the room to roam in the 5er since we will be full timing and the MH's seemed like living in a tube.

I would like to have a MH but keeping the DW happy will keep her full timing longer.

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate your time.

I agree Jack. When a guy asks for the pros and cons it behooves us to tell it like it is. I found that even without the fancy equipment, my rig was in place and leveled side to side using a few lynx levelers before I unlocked and drove forward from under it and parked. One gets to know how many leveling blocks for each reading after a few times, assuming they put their levelers on the front of their fiver for side to side and front to back when they first got it. I'd use a bubble level in my reefer's freezer compartment for that initial determination of level to stick my levels on (or screw them in which I never did) and on my two rigs that felt perfectly level. I put the levels on the driver side front corner sidewall for level front to back, and under the fiver overhang for side to side level on the same corner as that is also where the landing gear extend and retract control is placed so it can be done without moving for the final up and down level. Pretty fast and easy, even with minimal experience. And now with the new tech Andersen ultimate ball hitch it is even quicker and easier. There is no heavy lifting of anything. On the road we can back up however we need to without worrying about the toad on the back.

I do believe that for folks who never had both, whatever RV they don't have would take longer to hook up and unhook for travel.

There are advantages and cons to both.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Jack Mayer is 100% correct with his above statement. With a good auto leveling system, Quadra's Big Foot, unhooking and leveling is very easy and quick. His last sentence is golden.

Kiltedpig, your reasons are exactly why we decided on a fifth wheel. Now get out there and have a new adventure! Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

It was mentioned but there are no NHTSA regulation of RV cabin construction except for passenger buses and school busses. That goes for Travel trailers, fifth wheels, and MHs. There is a reason we have all the all steel safety cages, engineered collapsing bumper/fender/front end structures in our regulated passenger cars and trucks. In an RV head on, roll over, they explode/completely collapse. I prefer to be in my truck in any kind of accident. They're engineered to keep me from flying out, as well as my precious cargo, and staying as intact as possible.

That's why 3 of our 4 RVs were either Class B or Class C. The Bs were built inside a Sprinter and the C was built on a Sprinter. The cab area of each was the same. After the first two we did get sloppy and bought a Class A; good thing we never rolled it. I was happy to get back to a B.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks Linda!

Your tact is amazing and appreciated. Yes you are right and I should have said class A not motorhomes in general. I knew that, and the cockpits of those do have the roll cage for the driver and passenger. It looks like he bowed, as any smart man does, to SWMBO, and decided on a fiver. In the context of this thread, discussing diesel pushers and lighter gasser class As I completely forgot about C's and B's.

;)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Well, I got the final word from the DW after climbing in and about MH from $200-$500,000. Two things she found unacceptable. One was the lack of enough kitchen cabinets (pantry) compared to most 5ers and the second was the room to roam in the 5er since we will be full timing and the MH's seemed like living in a tube.

I would like to have a MH but keeping the DW happy will keep her full timing longer.

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate your time.

Thanks for the decision note. One thing I noticed in this thread was the comparison between $200,000 and up motor homes and the common dealer lot 5th wheel. There are some custom 5th wheel builders that will equal or exceed anything in a DP at a competitive price. Also, there are some surviving standard floorplan builders who are also competitive with the DP market for features. Ask the question and you will get a lot of possible choices.

The newer pickups are pretty comfortable, but they do have limits on what they can comfortably stop and control. Make friends on the HDT section and see what they think, as that is likely the most concentrated center of expertise on 5ths. I drive a crew cab long bed dually every day and the only limitation I can see is downtown urban parking garages and hotel conference parking.

Man!!! I need to get some NASCAR pit stop lessons. :D

I didn't know it was a race to unhitch a 5th or a toad. What is the prize for being the fastest. :huh:

It may take me up to 10 minutes or so to unhook & hook up my toad.

1st need to unhook the Protect-A-tow and fold it up. Long stay need to put it in trunk of toad.

2nd unhook the heavy breakaway cables with their screw off connections

3rd unhook the snap on breakaway brake cable

4th unhook the light's cable

5th unlock with key the 2 locks on the tow bar Attachment Tab Assembly

6th unlock the 2 tow bar slide bar locks

7th pull the pins holding the tow bar to the toad connection.

8th if staying over a week. Fold tow bar up and put protection cover on it. Then take Attachment Tab Assembly(Blue Ox) off the toad base plate.

9th unhook the BrakeMaster from the toads brake pedal and unhook the air line for it then store under the drivers seat.

Then I just need to do the reverse of above for a hook up. 2 minutes at my age is just getting from the drivers seat to the hook up area. :D

If just a overnight stop sometimes I can forget 1 though 9 or if needing toad to use overnight forget only #8

I like a DP Class A to travel in and live in. Much quieter from engine noise. When stopping at a rest area I'm much closer to a bathroom.

Wanting a cold pop or a sandwich? Easy to get and the room temperature is just right no matter what the outside temps are.

Never needing to go outside in the cold, heat, rain or any bad weather to do any of the above.

Sitting up high while driving I can see traffic ahead better unless I'm behind a semi trailer and the big windshield makes seeing the scenery great.

When parked in a campground the big windshield is great for looking out.

But I do have one of those UV protection inside covers to help stop heat and anyone from seeing inside the MH except at night. At night the curtains are closed.

In over 20 plus years having a MH last 15 Full Time. I never have needed to use blocks to level. I do use them under the leveling pads if on dirt or gravel parking pads.

In mud they can get stuck and dig a long trench when moving the MH. :(

Now if I am ever in a roll over accident or head on. And I am killed. They can always say I died doing what I loved. :D

And at my age I have now outlived many, many of my friends and lose more of them every year.

Did I say I Love my DP MH for Full Time living. :) Just buy what works best for you and do it. I did. B)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I just did my daily walk around this 95 site campground.

They are many Full Timers and several construction works that stay here.

Below count of RV's here today. Total 59

Pop Up 1

TT 17

5th 13

C 2

A Gas 13

A DP 7

Rally with 6 old GMC A Gas with more arriving.

Looks like the A's outnumber the 5th's, not even counting the Rally ones.

95% of the TT are construction workers in the area.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I just did my daily walk around this 95 site campground.

They are many Full Timers and several construction works that stay here.

Below count of RV's here today. Total 59

Pop Up 1

TT 17

5th 13

C 2

A Gas 13

A DP 7

Rally with 6 old GMC A Gas with more arriving.

Looks like the A's outnumber the 5th's, not even counting the Rally ones.

95% of the TT are construction workers in the area.

I think counting types of RVs in a general campground gives some insight into what the general public is doing. However, if you could do the same count at an Escapees rally you'd get a better idea of what people want for fulltiming rigs.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I think counting types of RVs in a general campground gives some insight into what the general public is doing. However, if you could do the same count at an Escapees rally you'd get a better idea of what people want for fulltiming rigs.

We did our first Escapade in a Class B. Lots of shade from the big rigs beside us. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We are new to fulltiming (8months) but I'll put my 2 cents in. We also debated about trailer vs 5th wheel vs motorhome. We like to boondock and go to places off the beaten track. Our concern with a MH was that we wouldnt be able to get to a lot of the places we like to camp and greater chance of getting stuck miles from anywhere. TT vs 5er - we found it easy to drive and maneuver out 32ft 5er. Stable in winds and from passing trucks. We have a GMC sierra 3500 diesel and simply love it. It isnt as noisy as some diesels, pulls like a dream and has 4 wheel drive to help us navigate the muddy/sandy/steep places we have ended up in the last 8 months. We stop at rest areas and go in the 5er to make lunch. We have stopped on the side of the road to pee in the 5er on occaision, but I will admit we have never done those things while driving down the highway! I resisted buying a diesel for a long time because of noise concerns but it hasnt been a problem for us and we have seen tons of wildlife in our travels. Friends of ours in a gasser had to stop a couple of times due to overheating while climbing a 4000ft hill while we with a bigger rig were able to breeze on up. If you are more of a trailer park person then the MH might be better but for boondocking you cant beat a 5th wheel

post-48662-0-53838300-1435678579_thumb.jpgAgree totally with kinseypw. Our Open Range 337RLS (inexpensive but quite nice) has 27" ground clearance for the frame (and the usual axle 12" or so). We primarily boondock on Forest Service, BLM etc dispersed camping areas. The 5th wheel is 12,500# max and handles nicely in sand with our 2006 Chevie 3500 diesel 4 x 4 (dualie). Admit that parking the extended cab/extended bed is a pain but that length is superb for hauling. The pickup is not designed for "four-wheeling" due to length and would "high center"on rough roads.

Have never liked the vulnerability of the driver in a 5th wheel. We were in a 70 vehicle pileup on Mexico 150 D between Orizaba and Puebla two years ago. They filled up the emergency rooms in Puebla and Orizaba/Cordoba but no one was killed. The truck and RV were totaled. Elaine had double compound fracture of right arm and three broken ribs. I do not think we would have survived in a MH. I counted the shocks of 10 vehicles piling into our 5th wheel. The first responders were magnificent and the hospital/staff/surgeons in Orizaba was wonderful. Son Charlie flew down to help us out in Orizaba for a week. Son Cary and grandaughter then drove down from New Mexico (1750 miles each way) to haul our possessions back to US. We had great friends in Orizaba who visited once or twice each day and grand-daughter had a friend in Puebla whose physician Dad and family helped us on our way home.

Reed,

Glad you made it back and recovered.

For you two boondocking fiver drivers check out this custom off road fiver. The guy literally just used the shell front even discarding the frame. Scroll down to the pics first, then you'll likely end up reading through the list. If I were single, without two large dogs, I'd have bought this:

On edit: The link I had here has been changed. Here is the new link to the highly modified Scamp fiver that basically kept only the shell and is hardened for security in the boonies: http://www.starling-travel.com/2015/01/28/highly-modified-1987-scamp-fifth-wheel/ It is for sale now for $21k and is now on the new link.

The motorhomes for extreme off road cost in the hundreds of thousands to millions for converted military and one off all wheel drive motorhomes. This custom-build is $18k!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Jack....I'm not kidding...and using Danielle is cheating...lol. I'm talking about doing it all myself. I would love to challenge you to a dual doing just this. As a matter of fact this type of challenge would be fun at an escapade.

However I do have to say that I get a little nervous about driving this heavy DP too far off the beaten path....we like boondocking and do quite a bit of it but I am real careful about where I take it.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Jim, if you think YOU are nervous going offroad just think about what we go through. We also like to get into some boondock areas, but the reality of a big rig and its approach angles, along with a large truck with its traction issues does make for some "adventures".Thus we are buying a smaller MH for those types of activities. If you are curious - THIS is what we are getting. (that is a video - for non video it is a Winnebago Vista LX 27N - you can google it). To me this is the nicest small MH on the market. Not the highest quality, but considering the whole picture a viable small coach assuming that you are going gas).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Looks nice Jack....but the engine has spark plugs?

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I've had both. For traveling, the motorhome wins. For stationary service, the trailer is best. If i was doing a lot of moving about and exploring, I would have a motorhome. But, since I usually spend two to four months in a spot, then take a day or two to move to another spot, I have a fifth wheel.

As far as drivability, I think you would find a fifth wheel more stable and maneuverable than your bumper pull. Parking is a toss up. Comparing to a motorhome, both have a learning curve. Size and quality can make a difference.

JMO

X2

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

Archived