New Family Member

Jim & Wilma

We'd like to introduce Ruby, our new family member. With Rick Lacombe's help (thanks Rick) we bought Ruby from an owner/operator in Sudbury, Ontario. Past couple days we drove it from there to central Illinois visiting family and continuing trip Monday to Kilgore, TX. It's been an adventure and I'd hazard to say after 900 miles we're pretty comfortable and our smiles are here to stay.

She's a 2009 VNL730 D13 with I-shift and 685,000 miles. Inside is the double bed setup which made for a comfortable layover at an Ohio Turnpike service area in their RV "campground". It includes a refrigerator which is nice to have and Wabasto heater which we hope to seldom use. Wilma's favorite part is the moose bumper which we hope to never need but probably handy if we do.

We'll be dropping Ruby at Larry Herrin's for a bed build, singling mid and sizing the bed for 2016 Smart car width. Thanks to Rocky, Ken and Jack for sharing your build details and expect we'll be copying features you helped to pioneer. Depending on family obligations, we hope to make it back to Hutch this year, less our LGT this time.

https://rubyvolvovnl730.shutterfly.com/pictures/11

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Well, your link wants to open a jpg.image, but nothing is there. If I click on the preceding date link, small pictures appear and then I can select somewhat larger pics. The best choice was to click on the slide show and then I can see your truck real well. (these were really for anyone having trouble viewing)

Nice truck and wonderful color! I'm sure your going to love it even more when it is finished.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Well, your link wants to open a jpg.image, but nothing is there. If I click on the preceding date link, small pictures appear and then I can select somewhat larger pics. The best choice was to click on the slide show and then I can see your truck real well. (these were really for anyone having trouble viewing)

Nice truck and wonderful color! I'm sure your going to love it even more when it is finished.

Thanks Rocky for sharing directions as I'm at a loss for how to fix the link. Using iPad sometimes gives different results so that's where I'm placing the "blame" as i just can't imagine it being cockpit error, cockpit error, cockpit error . . . .

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Nice looking truck. Congratulations!

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I knew Rick was working on that truck for you.....congrats on the completion

And all I can say is: "it's about time"!! See you in Hutch, or maybe in FL. We will be back this year.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks everybody for welcoming us aboard.

Nice looking truck, congratulations! Words of advise------ hang on to your pocket book---- it is just to much fun dressing her up!

Good advise but maybe too late. Wilma loves the term "dressing her up" and I suspect my influence and hold on the pocket book will be limited.

I knew Rick was working on that truck for you.....congrats on the completion. And all I can say is: "it's about time"!! See you in Hutch, or maybe in FL. We will be back this year.

Yeah, we've been on this journey for awhile, seriously starting "the plan" with the 2012 Bootcamp in Sedalia. Lots of great advice along the way and really none better than this forum and the folks taking time to help us newbies. Look forward to seeing you and Danielle again.

Welcome to the "Dark Side" .... I know you will love the experience . After all, It's only money.... :D. Congratulations !!

Lots of good company in the Dark Side and we are enjoying "the looks" of friends and family when we show them Ruby . . . not a doubt in our mind this is the way to for us.

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Jim & Wilma, it was a pleasure helping you cross over to the Dark Side.

I am sure that the good folks at Herrin's will finish off one heck of a good hauler for you.

Travel safe!

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

I've ridden in that van. Lets just say it is "well used".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived