Added 3rd axle, now suspension pbms.

bikemechanic53

I had a 3rd axle added to my 5th wheel a few months ago in Yuma. But the guys who did the work knew less about this than I did (despite what they said). So my 3 axles are not tracking correctly and the equalizers are hitting the stops on all the springs. This I assumed was from differences in weight each axle is carrying. But with the wheels jacked up off the ground, the equalizers are about in the same positions.

See pict1.

When I remove all the wheels, the setup looks like this, pict 2.

The shackle straps flipped when I jacked the rv up. I assume I can get them back up the correct way.

I hope the pictures are viewable. They have to be very small.

Anyone have any ideas on what's wrong?

post-17768-0-27063300-1434834130_thumb.jpg

post-17768-0-92251500-1434834241_thumb.jpg

Might want to consider going to Mor/Ryde and get it redone there.

I know it is a bit late for the suggestion.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

From what I can see there are a couple things I would ask.

Are the new leafs exactly the same as the OE? Same thickness, arc, number of leafs, same eye style and unloaded eye distance?

Is the distance between the perches exactly the same on all three axles?

Are the shackles the same length eye to eye?

Can you get an image that shows the front and rear perches?

I'm thinking the distance between perches are not the same or if they are the unloaded arc is different.

I once helped a friend cheap out on a leaf spring change. His trucks leftside leaf spring so, we got a junkyard spring and then it was higher than the other... bad idea.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

If I remember correctly on one end of the springs on a trailer with 2 axles has one end of the springs attached to a fixed location on the frame to keep the axles from moving forward or backward. On this setup the center axle is on 2 hangers that would allow one side to move forward and backward and mess with the alignment. Maybe it's not a problem but I would thing that it is.

Pat

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

If I remember correctly on one end of the springs on a trailer with 2 axles has one end of the springs attached to a fixed location on the frame to keep the axles from moving forward or backward. On this setup the center axle is on 2 hangers that would allow one side to move forward and backward and mess with the alignment. Maybe it's not a problem but I would thing that it is.

Pat

Pat,

I think that would be the same also but the post from Dutch shows it hung this way. I need to think on the how and why...

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

On a two axle trailer A & B would be equal, if they did not move the one hanger between B & C, then that could be part of the problem.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived