A question about Airbags

lappir

Can's seem to get a good answer from the installer so maybe someone here can assist.

The air suspension on my trailer (Ridewell) doesn't seem to air up until the trailer is moved. It hasn't caused an issue yet but maybe it's something I just haven't seen yet. A couple days ago I needed to back the trailer a bit further into the site so I could keep the truck and trailer together. Truck had a full air charge when I hooked up. I cycled the air supply knobs on the dash a couple times and then took several minutes to raise the jacks in preparation for the move. Backed straight up a couple feet and noticed when I was putting the jacks back down that the air bags were still deflated. Am I just being just too impatinet or is there an insufficient size to the air line supplying the suspension?

Thanks,

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Check the sizes of the air lines, to the air bags, to the leveling valve (or valves), the supply line to the levelers, if everything is 1/4 inch, then patience will be required. Also, if the air comes from from the truck red lines it should have sufficient volume, but I've seen Ridewells with their own compressor, the piddly little jigger types that come with aux air bag suspensions.

The air comes from the truck. No compressor on the trailer. Next time I get ready to move I will try and remember to check the bags before moving. There is a line to dump the air tank that is a 1/4 or 3/8. I did open the handle when I noticed the bags deflated and a little air came out. It seemed like the truck ran at least 5 minutes and the compressor had cycled on and off a couple of times.

Thanks for the replies,

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Tank on the trailer. Will crawl under before leaving since I am on a Asphalt pad right now.

2007 Honda GL 1800

Well, that might explain why the extra wait with that tank needing to be filled. It probably runs around 100 lbs pressure in order to work with your bags. And then of course everyone of those bags take some pretty good volume of air to fully inflate.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Don't know about your trailer, but on both my trucks, the bags don't receive air until the tank reaches a sufficient pressure. Thus, if your trailer tank has bled down, it takes a bit to recharge it, then the bags.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

It only takes the truck about 5 minutes to fill all three tanks on the truck and for the compressor to cycle off. . I would think that another 5 would do the tank on the trailer but it doesn't seem to happen. I haven't put a timer on it but have noticed that the trailer only seems to rise after I have started moving and the truck has been running for almost a half an hour by then. Will look closely when I move next week. will also try to keep track of how many times the compressor cycles off.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod

Try yellow out red in while you are waiting for the trailer suspension. No air going back there until the trailer supply is pushed in, you mentioned cycling the knobs.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Do you lose air at the trailer when you disconnect or over time? If when you disconnect maybe you need a check valve on the line so the tank stays filled up.

Is there a gauge on the trailer tank, if not maybe add one do you can see it when it fills up.

When does the trailer supply line from truck supply air? It is from your truck air bag lines or from the trailer air brake feed or a separate source?

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Thanks Nigel. Was thinking that no air was going to the trailer unless the supply was on. A gauge would be nice might try and plumb one in. Star Dreamer I usually drain the tank when I arrive. the bags stay up for a while. The trailer has both air brakes and air suspension, so I have the red and blue lines going from the truck to the trailer. I don't know how they plumbed it other than it looked like the same lines on the truck are used on the trailer.

Thanks again for the info.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Thanks Nigel. Was thinking that no air was going to the trailer unless the supply was on. A gauge would be nice might try and plumb one in. Star Dreamer I usually drain the tank when I arrive. the bags stay up for a while. The trailer has both air brakes and air suspension, so I have the red and blue lines going from the truck to the trailer. I don't know how they plumbed it other than it looked like the same lines on the truck are used on the trailer.

Thanks again for the info.

Rod

Ahh. It's making sense now.

Try pushing in the red knob as soon as your truck shows over about 60#. Red knob/line is the trailer supply. This fills your trailer tank(s). After said tank reaches some level. it will start to supply air to the suspension.

Yellow knob is "Parking Brake", aka spring brake, blue line is brake signal which tells the trailer tank to send air to trailer brakes.

So, if you normally don't push in the red knob until you're about to put the tranny in gear, it makes sense that the suspension doesn't air up until you're underway.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Ahh. It's making sense now.

Try pushing in the red knob as soon as your truck shows over about 60#. Red knob/line is the trailer supply. This fills your trailer tank(s). After said tank reaches some level. it will start to supply air to the suspension.

Yellow knob is "Parking Brake", aka spring brake, blue line is brake signal which tells the trailer tank to send air to trailer brakes.

So, if you normally don't push in the red knob until you're about to put the tranny in gear, it makes sense that the suspension doesn't air up until you're underway.

X2

That's your problem like he said push in the red knob as soon as the truck is above 60 psi.

And of course make sure 5 th wheel pin is locked.

The truck brakes will hold you just fine.

Good chance you have a very small supply line also so you could check with who ever your airbag and brake manufacture is and see if it's okay to up grade.

On my work truck with 48 foot van semi trailer. I make a lot of short stops at stores to make deliveries.

I leave the red knob pushed in all the time unless on a hill because it does take a long time for my brakes to release and that's with no airbag suspension.

Archived