A New Noise Source

Being in Florida, you would think there would be lots of service places for RV's, but not in my area. My shop is very good at servicing engines and generators, I wouldn't let anyone else do it, but does not do other service and can't lift our coach. So it will have to go to one of the Ford dealers nearby to have this serviced. There is only one dealer that can lift it and they are 30 miles away. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

A set of car ramps that can handle the weight to drive up on should give ya all the room you need, from the sound of things you may need some new return springs and possibly new brake lining inside the drum. If it needs to come completely off then one end of driveline would need to get unbolted.

A tarp to throw undernieth and a roll of shop towels for a pillow and somebody to toss tools to ya and maybe a cold drink in case a break is needed. You need to find a mechanical neighbor and bribe him with the BBQ. :rolleyes:

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Once underneath the MH there should be plenty of room for a person to work on the drive train without having to lift it up. I would try contacting a mobile auto repair guy and see if he can help you. I did mobile auto repairs for years and getting underneath is not an issue.

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

Thanks for everyones feedback. Now that I know where to look, the coach is going to a local shop that makes these kind of repairs and has a large enough lift. I'm very happy that my engine mechanic did troubleshoot the problem, determine it was not mounts or the ujoints, but delined to make a reepair he was not comfortable with. I go to him because he is good at what he does, reasonable in price and honest in not doing repairs he isn't capable of. Under normal circumstances I would not be concerned about trying to do the repairs myself. But a heart attack a few months ago will keep me out from under the coach for quite a while unless something very minor. Chuck

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

May as well replace the shoes in the drum while it is apart. They get oil from the rear seal leaking on transmission. There was some kind of upgrade you can do to that but I don't remember now it has been so long since we had our 96 motor home with a f53 chassis. Have them check the front seal on the rear differential while under it as they go bad

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• 3 weeks later...

An update. The coach has been at the local Ford Dealer, can't find anyone else locally to work on the chassis, and they called this afternoon with the news. Apparently the problem was bolts, locations unknown, in or on the driveshaft that were not torqued properly. We won't pick it up until tomorrow to see if that has indeed fixed the problem. But I'm optimistic. Chuck

An update. The coach has been at the local Ford Dealer, can't find anyone else locally to work on the chassis, and they called this afternoon with the news. Apparently the problem was bolts, locations unknown, in or on the driveshaft that were not torqued properly.

That sounds like the bolts which I was suggesting in post #10. Let us know what you learn when you go get it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived