A New Noise Source

I took our new to us 1999 Bounder 34 out for a drive a few days ago. A new noise developed in a fairly short order. Almost, but not every time, I stop and then press down on the accelerator there is a "clunk" sound that appears to be coming from under the coach and sounds like it is very near the drivers seat. It only happens when either at a complete stop or at almost a complete stop and the transmission is in the lowest gear. It happens more than it doesn't, but sometimes it does not. I don't hear the noise at any other time. This just started, it was not there when we purchased the coach a week ago and drove it home. Anyone have a thought as to what I might look for or anyone had this same issue? Thanks. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

If this is a front gas engine the first thing I'd be suspicious of is a U Joint in the drivetrain. Your description matches a badU Joint pretty much exactly.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If this is a front gas engine the first thing I'd be suspicious of is a U Joint in the drivetrain. Your description matches a badU Joint pretty much exactly.

I agree.with Jack..Block your wheels and put rig in neutral and go under and start wiggling drivline close to ujoint up, down, and sideways also see if brake caliper is loose someone may have left loose bolts as they worked on it.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

What chassis is your Bounder on? While a U joint is clearly a possible cause, the Ford chassis also has a plate with bolts that must be torqued to proper tension just next to the front universal that should be checked. If it isn't in the universal joint area, then I would take a close look at the mounts for the transmission to the cross-member next and after that the rear motor-mounts.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The plate I'm speaking of is at the transmission side of the first U joint. Some early ones had problems with the bolts loosening and I know of one case where the plate came off and the RV lost the drive-line. I was made aware of it with our F53 (V10 powered) and so I bought the special socket needed for it and carried it and a torque wrench with me for all of the time that I owned it. I used to check it each time that I lubed the drive-line but never did find mine at all loose so it may have been a fluke, but take a look just to be sure.

If you are new to this chassis, yours will have 14 grease points, if the same one we had. With a 99 coach you may have one of the previous year's chassis with the 460 and I think that it was different.

Thanks Kirk, Where did you find the "special socket" and is it a universal size? I'll take a look today and give it a closer inspection. But I suspect that without that socket I won't be able to check to see if it's loose. Chuck

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

I don't remember the size but it was a 10 point socket (pretty available) where more common ones are 8 point. I believe that I got the information on it from my chassis manual, but it might have been from the Ford Motor-home Chassis Hotline as I did get some information from them. You can probably tell if it is the problem just by trying to move it by hand, much like checking for a work universal joint. If you don't have a chassis owner's manual, I believe that you can get one from this link.

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest a bad trans mount or motor mount flexing under power and clunking. :)

+1 here

"JOE DIRT"--1994 Volvo WIA64TES VED12, 425HP, SUPER 10, SINGLED, 370 REARS, DOMETIC AUXILLARY A/C, ONAN QD10000 GENNY
2006 Fleetwood Wilderness Advantage AX6 40ft
"I'm not in right now.......I'm out finding myself. If I get back before I return, leave me a message and one of us will get back to you..??"

I'm right 97% of the time.........and nobody cares about the other 4%

+1 here

I'm going with either motor mounts, trans mount or a driveshaft center support. Center support bearing would give you a different sound.

Ray

All very possible. But a U Joint is the most likely thing, statistically, IMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Here's waht the mechanic tells me. There is apparently a "drum" around the drive shaft that somehow assists with the breaking. The noise is coming from inside this "drum" Don't have any further details yet. Chuck

Here's waht the mechanic tells me. There is apparently a "drum" around the drive shaft that somehow assists with the breaking. The noise is coming from inside this "drum" Don't have any further details yet. Chuck

That drum is the parking brake and it is found on most gas powered class A RVs.

That drum is the parking brake and it is found on most gas powered class A RVs.

Glad you said parking Kirk and not emergency because we found out 50 years or so ago that the drum would heat up instantly due to the small diameter undernieth a 2 ton truck we had and besides sending smoke signals became totally useless :huh:

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Archived