Health Insurance and the Affordable Health Care Act

Just received a check for over $3000 from Christian Healthcare Ministries. This is reimbursement for visits in December. We only pay $150 per month for my DW to be covered. Much better than ACA.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I find that the defenders of the ACA are the ones who have benefited from it the most"...and rightly so.... they should be the loudest cheerleaders for the ACA. However, I find the loudest objectors to the Affordable Care Act have been those who either get their news/views from one particular source or have not done (or won’t do) the research to discover (1) just how bad our healthcare system really is, (2) how much better/cheaper healthcare is delivered in many other countries. For those that have not yet seen the benefit of the ACA, or have actually seen their healthcare costs increase/coverage decrease due to the implementation of the ACA, I say "I'm sorry it hasn’t worked for you". However it has worked for many millions of others, my niece among them. For the first time in her adult life, her preexisting condition is not an automatic dis-qualifier for health insurance....thanks to the ACA.

I am a huge cheerleader for the benefits of the ACA, regardless of the fact that I don't use it....I like what it does for others. I like the way the "for profit" health insurance companies have been reined in a little....it has been a good first step, however IMO we still have more to do.

Regards

Gemstone

'06 Elite Suites, '08 Softail Classic, '06 Softail Deuce.

I like the way the "for profit" health insurance companies have been reined in a little....it has been a good first step, however IMO we still have more to do.

I agree the intentions are correct. But the implementation is so poor as to be laughable - if it did not harm the country so much. We - as a Nation - need to readdress this system and improve it. The ACA did some good things. But on balance - because of the poor implementation - it is a negative, at least in my mind. There is a lot of work to do to have a rational healthcare system. But I find it unlikely the Congress is capable of performing that work on our behalf. In fact, the way things are trending it is making it more and more difficult for people to live a mobile lifestyle until you are on Medicare. This is an unfortunate side effect, but very real.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I agree with Jack. I have the mandated ACA coverage, but as soon as I leave TX, it is worthless. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find participating doctors in TX. I searched for a primary care physician within 25 miles of Conroe, nothing. Conroe is a fairly large town.

I suspect it will get worse before it gets better. Even with a Democratic White House win this issue is not going to get addressed if it does not have a large enough constituency to get attention. BCBS just released a study showing the exchange population is an expensive population to insure likely because they have gone without medical care for so long. BCBS probably laying groundwork for premium raises as 2017 proposed rates need to be published soon. Will this force more states to narrow provider networks with PPOs? Unfortunate if more rate increases but in my opinion the answer cannot be to return this population to a life without access to medical care. Identifying and treating new chronic conditions initially raises cost but should reduce costs over long term if these conditions do not progress as would otherwise be the case. http://www.bcbs.com/healthofamerica/newly_enrolled_individuals_after_aca.pdf

Dave and Lana Hasper

I agree with Jack. I have the mandated ACA coverage, but as soon as I leave TX, it is worthless. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find participating doctors in TX. I searched for a primary care physician within 25 miles of Conroe, nothing. Conroe is a fairly large town.

The traditional full timer states are not great options for those under 65.

Dave and Lana Hasper

I think that states that implemented their own exchange are further ahead. Too bad more did not feel they were able to do this. WA that has their own exchange so far appears to be OK. Although in MN I think the insurance companies pulling out has given them some problems.

Archived